Excursions in St. Thomas

KellyJ

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

My husband and I are going on our first cruise in November and wanted advice on Excursions in St. Thomas. We are traveling on the Caribbean Princess, and wanted to know what excursions you have enjoyed in St. Thomas either through Princess or on your own. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Days until the Caribbean Princess 11/27/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;11;27;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

There's nobody better than Godfrey Renal, owner/operator of Godfrey Tours ([url="http://www.godfreytoursvi.com"]http://www.godfreytoursvi.com[/url]). For an amazing $20pp (the cruise lines charge close to $50 for a far less "personal" experience), you'll be picked up at the Havensight Pier, travel in a clean, sightseeing-friendly coach, be shown the island as only a native can do, swim at Megan's Bay (or other beach of your choice), have time for shopping (both downtown and at Hasvensight), and be dropped off right back at the ship. You need not pay in advance (in fact, he collects at the end of the day). He's an expert at where to get the deals, and more importantly, what to avoid. You'll have a wonderful day with Godfrey ... and, no; he's not a relative of mine. Enjoy your cruise!!

Al

If you've been to St. Thomas before and feel like doing something more than just lying on a beach - I highly recommend the Water Island Bike Tour if offered.

It's a half day mountain biking trip - they ferry you across to Water Island, provide the bikes, water, juice, etc and you finish up on a beautiful almost deserted beach to cool off. Not too strenuous but you should be used to being on a bike - at the end there is an option to continue on for the toughest part of the biking (my husband did and loved it) or get an extra 1/2 hour at the beach.

We did this when we were on the Mariner in April - the Golden was in port at the same time and our 2 groups were combined so I know Princess was offering it at the time. Very well-run by a group of New Yorkers who decided to stay in the Virgin Islands some 20 years ago - lots of fun - the best run excursion we have ever been on offered by a cruise ship.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2005;7;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]
Until the Golden Princess

Golden Princess July 2005
Mariner of the Seas April 2004
Celebrity Infinity September 2001
Disney Wonder June 2000

We also loved the Water Island Bike and Beach Tour. It's a great way to learn the history of St. Thomas and Water Island. After being on crowded St. Thomas, it was nice to go to the practically uninhabited Water Island. Although I have a mountain bike, I normally just ride it on paved paths. This tour is often on uneven terrain. However, we didn't have much difficulty. They make frequent stops.

I've been there three times. Every time we've gone to St. John on our own. It is probably the most beautiful island I've ever been to - a lot less developed than St. Thomas, most of St. John is a National Park.

It will probably run you about $50/pp. It involves a taxi to Red Hook (15 minutes), then a ferry to St. John (15 minutes, plus the wait), then a taxi to the beach (10 minutes). I'd recommend Cinnamon Bay over Trunk Bay, less people. Even fewer people at Maho Bay (but no facilities, food etc., unless you hike a bit to the campground).

Hope this helps - have a great time!

We have been to St. Thomas many times but our all-time favorite private excursion (we don't do ship tours-always book on our own) is the day sail on the Winifred. It's a 43' wooden sailboat and Capt. Sharon only takes a max. of 6 people. You get a cont. breakfast, wonderful hot lunch served on china and an open bar. She takes you to a beautiful area near Caneel Bay for snorkeling. It's a wonderful, relaxing day and the best way to get away from the crowds of St. Thomas. With only 6 people on board, much better than the crowded ship excursions. Have recommended it to many people nad all have come back and said it was their best tour ever.

Check it out at [url="http://www.sailwinifred.com"]www.sailwinifred.com[/url]

Kathy

On my first Princess cruise, I wanted to take excursions through the ship because I felt more comfortable doing that. I have enjoyed Magen's Bay, "The Wild Thing" Trimaran excursion with snorkeling, and the Champagne Sailaway (all day excursion) which is expensive but a wonderful way to spend the day. If you are adventuresome and would like to explore on your own, I also would recommend getting a cab or safari bus to Red Hook, then the ferry to Cruz Bay on St. John, then another safari bus to Trunk Bay in St. John. You can snorkel or sunbathe and the water is crystal clear.

I have to second the recommendation for Godfrey! We were with him in April and had a wonderful time. He will pick you up at the ship (I think the times were 9, 10, and 11), drop you off downtown until noon or so, pick you up and take you for incredible views of the island and up to Mountaintop, then back down to your choice of beaches (we went to Coki Beach). If you decide not to stay on the beach, he will take you back to the ship then; otherwise you have a couple of hours to relax on the sand, swim, or snorkel. He picks you up at the appointed time and takes you back to the ship. It was the best deal around!

Sue

Dawn Princess - Panama Canal - April 2004

Dawn Princess - Alaska - August 2005

What's a good excursion depends on what you want. I've been to St. Thomas 3 times via cruise ship and once for a week on a land vacation.

My first cruise excursion on St. Thomas was a snorkelling excursion that was just okay.

My second and third cruise excursions on St. Thomas were the "Best of St. Thomas" tour, taken with two different groups of people. If you want to see the island and get some great scenic pictures, this is a good choice.

On my land vacation:

1. I very much enjoyed our day on St. John, though I didn't think the snorkelling at Trunk Bay was all it's purported to be (OTOH, it was cloudy so that may have had a lot to do with it).

2. Loved Coki Point (where Coral World is) and had some marvelous snorkelling there (we literally had to wade through fish to get in the water deep enough to snorkel--but that was a decade ago so I'm not sure if that's still the case).

3. ADORED Magen's Bay...not for snorkelling but what a beautiful beach just for lounging and swimming.

[B]Golden Princess 5/2004 (Southern)[/B]
[B]Golden Princess 3/2003(Eastern)[/B]
[B]Grand Princess 5/2002 (Western)[/B]
[B]Grand Princess 5/1999 (Eastern)[/B]

hi, just back from st thomas, if u like to snorkel, take the taxi $7 to red hook 20min, $3 for the ferry to st john which leaves every hour until 6pm on the return, a taxi on st john to trunk bay $4 and $4 to enter the national park. this is still much cheaper than doing the ships excursion. after the ship people left, we had the beach almost to ourselves underwater signs inform you about reef life. very nice! we left early and sat at the rest/bar happy hour for cocktails and hopped on the 6pm back to red hook, were at the ship at 6:45. smooth....

beachgal58

St John's is a great place to see and beach. I have done the St. Thomas tour and it was interesting. Most people will shop on St. Thomas as it is duty free. It is my choice of places to bargain for cameras and camera supplies. Hmmm, have not been to St. Thomas for awhile and I sort of feel a need for a new camera..... could be a good excuse for a cruise!

Also enjoyed Godfrey's tour, for a STT first-timer it's a great way to see a little of everything at the right price. All 3 beach choices (Magen's Bay, Sapphire, Coki) have something to offer, we chose Sapphire and absolutely loved it - no admission charge, clear clear gorgeous water and nice resort facilities. We have lots of pix of Godfrey's tour and STT in general at

[url="http://community.webshots.com/album/138471058mfYGda"]STT Pix[/url]

if you're interested.

B.

[img]http://www.animationlibrary.com/Animation11/Geography_and_History/Islands/Ship_at_island.gif[/img]
"These moments we’re left with - may you always remember
These moments are shared, by few
And those harbor lights, lord they’re coming into view
We’ll bid our farewells much too soon
So drink it up, this one’s for you -
Honey, it’s been a lovely cruise."
-- James W. Buffett

Carnival Triumph, April '02
Carnival Sensation, January '04
Golden Princess, April '04

Carnival Sensation, Golden Princess / Caribbean Princess pix at: [url="http://community.webshots.com/user/mageesworld"]Cool Cruisin' Pix[/url]

e-mail: [email]bobandkarenny@yahoo.com[/email]

Sailed the eastern on Golden in April.

If you ever wanted to try scuba diving, go to cokidive.com. This is the same group that Princess uses. Cost was $60 plus $7 taxi. I believe the excursion thru Princess was $89.

These are great guys who put you at ease, especially if you are little aprehensive(as I was).

The big plus is you walk into the water from the beach, and if one of your group does not want to try this they can rent snorkle equipment while you scuba dive. This is what my wife did.

Thank you to all who have responded. I didn't expect so many answers so quickly, but of course, the cc board came through again with wonderful info.

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Days until the Caribbean Princess 11/27/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;11;27;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Archived