A little excursion planning help please...

honeymooner16

Morning everyone!

My husband, DS (14 months) and I are headed to Hawaii in May on POA and I have a few questions I was hoping you could help me out with. I have them listed below by port.

About us: We are in our early 30s and very fit/active, so we are looking for adventure. We also have the little one in tow, so he has to be allowed on the tours (many of the ship tours he isn’t allowed, but the private tour companies welcome him).

Honolulu:

1. What is the easiest way to get from the car return to the ship? Do we have to go back to the airport first or is there a bus/shuttle that will go direct?

Maui:

2. Road to Hana on our own with a rental car - Stopping at the State park for black sand beaches and the National park for the waterfalls. Are there any cool falls/parks/black sand beaches closer to the Port? DS is great in a backpack, but despises the car seat and I’m not sure how far on the Road to Hana we will actually make it. The goal is Wai’panapa

3. How is the sunset at the crater compared to sunrise? I can't find any info on how long this tour is, what time it begins? This one is through the cruise ship.

3. Snorkeling at Molokini and Turtle town through Pride of Maui - anyone use them? This will be second day in Maui so time off the ship won't be an issue, but is a cab the best way to get to the boat? Is this the best snorkeling?

4.Is there anything to do right near the cruise ship? Is there any cheap transportation to nearby attractions?

Kona:

4. We want to do the captain cook snorkel on the Fair Wind, but it warns cruise passengers may have a hard time getting to the boat in time due to the tenders. Is it hard to get one of the first tenders off the boat? We will likely be up around 3am local time with DS. Has anyone done this successfully or are we better going with the cruise tour on this one? Does the cruise tour go to the same place (I’d really like to avoid ship excursions)? Is there another tour company that goes to Captain Cook?

5. What other hiking/snorkeling is there to do in Kona without renting a car?

Kauai:

6. We are looking at doing KALALAU TRAIL and maybe Lydgate park for the first day with a rental car. Is there any good hiking closer to the cruise ship?

7. Is there anything to do right near the cruise ship? Anyone know the name of the bus/trolley so I can look up their route?

Thanks for the help!

Morning everyone!

My husband, DS (14 months) and I are headed to Hawaii in May on POA and I have a few questions I was hoping you could help me out with. I have them listed below by port.

About us: We are in our early 30s and very fit/active, so we are looking for adventure. We also have the little one in tow, so he has to be allowed on the tours (many of the ship tours he isn’t allowed, but the private tour companies welcome him).

Honolulu:

1. What is the easiest way to get from the car return to the ship? Do we have to go back to the airport first or is there a bus/shuttle that will go direct?

Maui:

2. Road to Hana on our own with a rental car - Stopping at the State park for black sand beaches and the National park for the waterfalls. Are there any cool falls/parks/black sand beaches closer to the Port? DS is great in a backpack, but despises the car seat and I’m not sure how far on the Road to Hana we will actually make it. The goal is Wai’panapa

3. How is the sunset at the crater compared to sunrise? I can't find any info on how long this tour is, what time it begins? This one is through the cruise ship.

3. Snorkeling at Molokini and Turtle town through Pride of Maui - anyone use them? This will be second day in Maui so time off the ship won't be an issue, but is a cab the best way to get to the boat? Is this the best snorkeling?

4.Is there anything to do right near the cruise ship? Is there any cheap transportation to nearby attractions?

Kona:

4. We want to do the captain cook snorkel on the Fair Wind, but it warns cruise passengers may have a hard time getting to the boat in time due to the tenders. Is it hard to get one of the first tenders off the boat? We will likely be up around 3am local time with DS. Has anyone done this successfully or are we better going with the cruise tour on this one? Does the cruise tour go to the same place (I’d really like to avoid ship excursions)? Is there another tour company that goes to Captain Cook?

5. What other hiking/snorkeling is there to do in Kona without renting a car?

Kauai:

6. We are looking at doing KALALAU TRAIL and maybe Lydgate park for the first day with a rental car. Is there any good hiking closer to the cruise ship?

7. Is there anything to do right near the cruise ship? Anyone know the name of the bus/trolley so I can look up their route?

Thanks for the help!

We have done the Fair Wind from the POA in Kona and it is very doable. We got there with plenty of time to spare, probably 45 min to an hour before their stated arrival time. You'll get instruction on the ship (see Freestyle Daily) re the procedure for picking up tender tickets for Kona. The tx are given out on a first come basis, so you ALL must be there when they start handing them out. They won't give one person three tickets. If you want off first, be there first to line up well before the hand out starts.

Once ashore, just walk straight to the street where you will see parked taxis. It's about $30 for the 20 to 25 min ride. We asked the driver to meet us back at the drop off at return time and took their card. There's a nice area out back on the water with picnic tables to wait. These people are great with kids. Ask for one of their clear viewing boards which your little one can look through to see the fish. The boat is large and comfortable, the fresh cooked lunch is very good. I don't believe the ships tour goes to Captain Cook.

You asked if there was anything close to the ship in Kauai. Kalapacki Bay and beach is a quick couple block walk via sidewalk from the ship. This ares is fronted by shops, and rather than walk you could catch one of the continuous loop shopping shuttles inside the port and then walk through to the beach area. The bay is pretty sheltered, so good swimming for little ones. Lots of trees and shade. There is a Mariott Hotel with a Dukes and a barefoot bar for lunch, dinner or snacks. If you walk inside the hotel there is a wonderful botanical garden which the hotel was constructed around. It is filled with paths, ponds, waterfalls and lots of birds. Your son would probably love it.

I would forgo the Road to Hana....it's a FULL day of driving. Yes, it's got some awesome scenery, and some barren scenery...but you will be driving for at least 7-9 hours. Maui has so much other stuff to offer...save this for a land-based trip where time is plentiful!

Io State Park is gorgeous, too! Get a guidebook and I'm sure you will find interesting stuff for you, and things that will keep your child out of the car as much as possible!