Venice - Morning Train

canuckinindia

Looking at a booking this summer on RCL Rhapsody of the Seas arriving and departing from Venice.

Return to Venice is 6:45am trying to get an idea of the earliest possible train to Rome we can take.

There are trains at 7:37am, 8:37am 9:12am

Wondering if either of the first two are possible if we carry luggage off ourselves.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I'm assuming this is a concern because you want to purchase discounted tickets, yes? If that's the case I wouldn't go for either of the earlier times, too many things will be out of your control (time of actual arrival, how long to clear the ship, how long you wait for the People Mover or for a taxi if headed to Mestre).

If you wait and pay full price you'll have the flexibility of getting on the next train, regardless of what time you make it to the station.

I certainly would not consider booking the 7:37 am train.

As eurocruiser points out, the advantages of pre-purchasing a ticket to save money are negated if you cannot make the train. I also would probably book the 9:12 am.

One caveat about tickets in Venice: many people take the train to Rome from Venice after a cruise. The earlier/reasonable times sometimes do sell out, as these fast trains have assigned seats. So if it were me, I'd rather have a reservation in hand for the 9:12 than risk trying for the 8:37 and find it's sold out. All in all, the extra 30 minutes isn't really going to make a difference in terms of how much time you have in Rome...

It's much more of a hassle but the flight could probably work. Alitalia has a 10 AM flight that arrives a little after 11, with carry on only and assuming the flight arrives on time, you could be in Rome in time for a 12:30 lunch appointment.

To make that flight, again even with carry on only, you'd need to be at the airport no later than 8:30 AM, which means being in a cab from the cruise port by 8 AM.