Natives: where would you park for 2 weeks near MIA airport?

bottomfeeder

I'm looking at a transatlantic cruise that leaves Port of Miami and then I'd fly back to MIA a bit over 2 weeks later. I live near Sarasota. In the past I've parked at a local airport, rented a car to drive to the port, then flown back to my local airport. However, this time I could get a good flight that's nonstop into MIA from Europe, so I think it makes more sense to drive to MIA and park there, taxi/uber/shuttle to port, and then have my car at MIA when I return.

My flight would return mid-afternoon, if that makes a difference (I know some offsite places are not open 24 hours.)

MIA on-site parking is very expensive, so I am looking for cheaper alternatives. I could do a park/sleep/fly kind of deal but there's really no reason for me to stay over a night, and most offer free parking at the hotel for only 3-5 days so that doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

So...all that being said, where would you recommend I park? Where do you park, as local (or semi-local) people if you will be gone for a couple weeks?

Thank you!

I'm looking at a transatlantic cruise that leaves Port of Miami and then I'd fly back to MIA a bit over 2 weeks later. I live near Sarasota. In the past I've parked at a local airport, rented a car to drive to the port, then flown back to my local airport. However, this time I could get a good flight that's nonstop into MIA from Europe, so I think it makes more sense to drive to MIA and park there, taxi/uber/shuttle to port, and then have my car at MIA when I return.

My flight would return mid-afternoon, if that makes a difference (I know some offsite places are not open 24 hours.)

MIA on-site parking is very expensive, so I am looking for cheaper alternatives. I could do a park/sleep/fly kind of deal but there's really no reason for me to stay over a night, and most offer free parking at the hotel for only 3-5 days so that doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

So...all that being said, where would you recommend I park? Where do you park, as local (or semi-local) people if you will be gone for a couple weeks?

Thank you!

The La Quinta Inn - Miami Airport East is ideal for what you need. They will let you park free for 7 days and $5 per day for every day afterwards with a one night stay. When you get back to MIA simply take their airport shuttle to retrieve your car. They also have a complimentary POM shuttle.

You should also look at a one way car rental. All the major car rental companies don't have a drop charge in Florida.

Also, check airfare back to MCO as well as Norwegian Airlines to FLL

As suggested above, leave your car at home and use two one-way rentals; one to get you to Miami, and the other to get you home. :cool:

National, Alamo, Thrifty and Enterprise offer free shuttle service between their MIA airport location and POM. ;) If you get a deal from someone else at MIA the cab fare to POM is $27+tip. Avis, Hertz and others have downtown Miami locations close to POM - $12+ cab if they do not shuttle.

Thanks, like I said I usually do car rentals one way so I'm familiar with that but I thought it would be less hassle/less expensive to park my car in Miami since otherwise I have to pay for parking wherever I pick up my car near home (which is usually RSW since it's on the way to MIA/FLL for me as I'm south of Sarasota) and when you add that to the 2 one-way car rentals I don't think it's a good idea.

Normally I fly back to RSW or SRQ but this time those flights are $150+ more than flying into MIA, instead of just $50 or so more like usual.

I think it is actually less expensive to stay near MIA on one of those park-sleep-cruise packages than it would be to pay for airport parking at RSW plus two one-way car rentals. Or park at home and pay for two expensive shuttles to wherever I pick up/drop off said cars here.

Does anyone have any good ideas for parking near MIA without a hotel stay? :)