Stockholm: From Port To Airport

palermo22

I know that the Arlanda Express is our best bet from City Center to Arlanda Airport. Upon disembarking does Viking provide transportation from the port to the City Center? If not, what are our options? Also, would one hour more or less be the time estimate from the port to the city center to the airport?

I don't know what Viking does, but I can tell you of our experience on another cruise line. The cruise line did sell transfers to the airport, but they were pretty pricey so we passed on them. We took the Arlanda Express. I think we just took a taxi from the dock to the train station. (So far I've never been to a single cruise port that didn't have at least a few taxis available, especially in disembarkation ports when a cruise ship comes in!) I believe the taxi folks put us with another two people going to the same place or similar, but I don't know if they charged less for doing that or not. It doesn't matter much, as it wasn't a long or expensive ride to the train station.

I was hoping to take a peek into the nearby Stockholm subway station by the Arlanda Express trains, since Stockholm's stations are supposed to have wonderful artwork. However, we were bogged down with luggage and ultimately decided against doing that. We liked the train a lot. It was easy to find where to buy tickets and they took credit cards. We got on the train, rolled our luggage out of the way, and waited for the train to take off. The train looked nice and pretty new, and it was certainly not over-crowded. There was WiFi on board, and electronic signboards overhead to indicate the stops.

I know that the Arlanda Express is our best bet from City Center to Arlanda Airport. Upon disembarking does Viking provide transportation from the port to the City Center? If not, what are our options? Also, would one hour more or less be the time estimate from the port to the city center to the airport?

The AE is about a 25 min. trip. From port to city center is not far but it does depend on time of day and traffic. Also, there is major construction in the Slausen area and that could present another element to the equation because you must transport through there to get to the station. In Stockholm you are at the port but for our cruise, we were a small walk to the terminal. Check on board and see what they have to say about taxi availability when you disembark. Also the cabs are not regulated in Stockholm so be sure to get a quote before you get in.

• 2 weeks later...

I really think you are better off taking a cab to the Arlanda Express. You can pre-buy your ticket and it drops you off inside the terminal. It was quick and clean. Cabs were plentiful where the shipped docked and as I recall, it was no more than 10US for the trip to AE. If you take a cab the entire way, it will take much longer and you could end up with traffic issues. The train really was simple! It takes about 20-25 minutes and the trains run every 15 minutes or so. If you buy a ticket ahead of time, you get a discount.