Yuck!!! Look at these feet

greatam

Interesting thread! My mom, who is going on my cruise with me, is 78 years old. She worked for 30+ years in a factory, standing on her feet 8-10 hours/day, at least 6 days/week and sometimes 7 days/week! Does she have pretty feet? Absolutely NOT! She has bunions, hammertoes, spider veins...the works! But she earned them!! Is she wearing sandals on our cruise? Absolutely! She went to Hawaii last year and had a pair of pretty beaded flip flops that matched her swim suit. She gave herself a nice pedicure before she left and painted her toenails with sparkly polish to match her flip flops. She was so proud of her 'pretty' feet, she took pictures of them and gave to all of us!

For Jane, my personal opinon is that, I would prefer to see clothing in magazines that are on more real people. I think the thinness (I was a size 2 at one time) in the magazines are doing more damage to young girls these days with their health.

I agree with this point from a lot of angles. I think it would be much more assuring to our young ladies if they could see "normal" rather than unrealistic ideal. I applaud Glamour magazine for the small steps they've taken in this direction. They utilize real-sized models in some of their photo shoots.

And a size 2 is smaller today than it was 25 years ago.

Is this true? I know I've seen discussions on this very board about how sizes are being made larger for vanity reasons- people will buy something that they might not otherwise, just because it is a smaller size in the label and fits them. I'm confused now.

I also believe as women age, no matter if your weight remains the same, your body weight shifts. You can be in great shape, the picture of health and as you get older, it just shifts. And for women who are still in great shape but a bigger size might be needed especially after child bearing years. Hips got a bit fuller or rounder, breat size changes, or even menopause, body shape changes and hence size changes.

Boy, ain't this the truth?! I know mine sure has and lately I'm beginning to think mine has shifted to my feet! I've always had wide feet, but these days, either the manufacturers are also making their shoes thinner or my feet are getting even wider because I even have trouble fitting into some wide shoes. And trust me, the cute styles are hard to find in Wide sizes.

The New York Times did an article in last Sunday's paper about how the girls in the America'a Next Top Model will never make it as America's Next Top Model because of their weight and the way they look. From what I remember the bottom line was they are too fat and not ethnic looking enough.

This is just sad. This is one of Tyra Banks' endeavors and I have a lot of respect for her. I was just watching an E True Hollywood Story about her last night and am impressed by how hard she works to show that SHE is not perfect! I even saw a clip of her taking off her bra (under her shirt) and her boobs sagged! It is good to see that even perfect women have faults.

While the models feet are not perfect, I did not immediatley think Yuck! when I saw them. We're so used to seeing professional photos of models being airbrushed into perfection, I think they may have missed the airbrush department with this one. Unfortunately, this airbrushing they do makes us all feel as though there are these perfect bodies out there.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about the photo. These are real feet but the shoes are too small for them. I think we all are just shocked by their appearance because they're not what we're used to seeing in advertising.

Hi, I don't know if this is true or not. Jane might know more, but what I was told a while back that certain designers cut fuller for the market they are trying to reach. Ellen Tracy, Dana Buchman, and especially Eileen Fisher, I have to go down a size with her pants usually.

Prada, Missoni on the other hand is smaller in my opinion. I think it's a market/target they are selling to.

Basically I think so. Sales people tell me that the clothes are cut smaller overall. Of course not every designer, but on the overall I can tell you as an example TSE cashmere, their large is smaller than it was 8 years ago. I own a sweater from them in large and I recently tried on a large from them and it was way smaller. I can guess, why, if fitted and cropped sweaters are in, or if "oversized and large sweaters" are in, the sizing will probably go accordingly.

Not sayng it's like that with all designers but a lot I've noticed at the sizes are smaller. It's also a fit model, one fit model size 8 may not be a size 8 for another designer. At least that's what I was told.

I can guess, why, if fitted and cropped sweaters are in, or if "oversized and large sweaters" are in, the sizing will probably go accordingly.

Good point. When the belly-showing tops were all the rage, I had the hardest time finding a tank top that fit and covered the parts I didn't want to show!

The New York Times did an article in last Sunday's paper about how the girls in the America'a Next Top Model will never make it as America's Next Top Model because of their weight and the way they look. From what I remember the bottom line was they are too fat and not ethnic looking enough.

BTW, Linda Evangelista has always been one of my favorites.

Linda is by far my favorite model. She has that "something" and is so very stunning with a cool elegance about her. AND she wasn't the blonde hair California beach babe that so many clients wanted...which gave hope to those of us who do not fit that mold.

And she was such a chameleon!

I have to agree with the Times' article. The winners from the last few seasons have had the ethnic look, but they don't have the body for it. I'm afraid they'll be relagated to the role of Cover Girl model before fading away...

Linda, I didn't like her, and I think she screwed herself when she said, "she won't get out of bed for less than $10,000" per day. While it's hard work to be a model, yes, very hard work, I think the salaries are over the top just as with professional atheletes. Many other people work as hard, or harder than a model for a lot less than $10,000 per day. Personally I think she gave models a bad rep with that comment.

I agree, the remark was a bit catty...but I look at it like the female version of pro-athletes...these men are paid millions (and I understand being a pro-athlete is very, very hard work), but no one bats an eye when they earn that amount...or even actors.

Linda was the best in her field, she should get paid accordingly...but she really shouldn't have announced it :rolleyes:

And I would love to see "real" women in ads....but when it comes to high fashion or couture, well there needs to be something special about the model to pull off some of those looks.

~e

Hi MsREd,

I so agree with a few of your comments, yes, Linda was top in her field and does deserve to be paid accordingly and I agree about the athletes too, but I think their salaries (both sexes) are way over the top as well.

It's not so much her announcing it, it's how she announced it also that put a nail to the coffin, and if I remember, she screwed herself as some of the designers refused to pay the top $$ and hired just as pretty girls but for a lot less. If I remember this was a big issue for a while maybe still is.

For a lot of the couture, yes I agree, a top model because a lot of it never makes it to the stores and you never really see it, but for the ready to wear by designers like Chanel and Missoni and Prada, etc etc, I would really like to see more "real bodies". I don't like to much of ST. John clothing, some of it is nice some I don't care for, but at least the model (it's the daughter) is more realistic than the real skinny models.

Hi, I don't know if this is true or not. Jane might know more, but what I was told a while back that certain designers cut fuller for the market they are trying to reach. Ellen Tracy, Dana Buchman, and especially Eileen Fisher, I have to go down a size with her pants usually.

Some designers, including all the ones above mentioned, are known for their generously cut sizes. About 3 years ago I was quite thin and wore a 4 in most clothing, however, Ellen Tracy's size 2's were falling off me!

Prada, Missoni on the other hand is smaller in my opinion. I think it's a market/target they are selling to.

I find Prada to be a generous cut, though I only have one item of their clothing. Their shoes are cut generously too. I'm usually a 7.5 but in some shoes, I need an 8. In Prada, the 7.5's are a bit loose. I bought DH a Prada shirt this summer and it too was quite a full cut. I have one Missoni sweater and it's a european size 40, and I'm usually a 38, so I guess it's a tight cut.

Not sayng it's like that with all designers but a lot I've noticed at the sizes are smaller. It's also a fit model, one fit model size 8 may not be a size 8 for another designer. At least that's what I was told.

All fit models for missy clothes are size 8. However, as you've stated, not all size 8's are the same!

Jane

I also believe as women age, no matter if your weight remains the same, your body weight shifts. You can be in great shape, the picture of health and as you get older, it just shifts. And for women who are still in great shape but a bigger size might be needed especially after child bearing years. Hips got a bit fuller or rounder, breat size changes, or even menopause, body shape changes and hence size changes.

Well, there is some truth to that, but I have to interject here.

I am nearing 50, so I am no spring chicken. But a little over 3 years ago I got tired of the way my body was looking, and feeling, and I decided I was not going to head into middle age that way. I use to work out and run years ago, but stopped when my son was born. I gained over 50 pounds, and my blood pressure was creeping up - and it had always been low. My only goal was really to lose some weight, and I would have been happy just to do that. However, I am the absolutely best shape I have ever been in, in my life. And I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, it's just that I am STILL amazed at the changes, and I constantly get asked by relatives that have not seen me in a while - "what did you do?" A guy at work told me I looked younger than I did 5 years ago. Of course that felt great, but my health was really the reason I did this. I have a resting heart rate of 43 now, and my cholestorol is 129. And I've totally changed my shape. You really can "sculpt" your body, if you have enough determination. I don't want to run off at the mouth about this, but I think far too many women are so afraid, or unknowledgeable, about exercise and weight training, that they never give it a proper go. You do have some control over your body - genes and age definitely are a factor, but I believe your own will is a greater one.

Off my soapbox now...and sorry if I went off-topic a bit. :o

happysinglemom: Love hearing stories about us middleaged girls taking care of ourselves. I too faced weight gain and BP problems several years ago. Worked with a trainer and lost 40 lbs. I looked better than I had in years. I had the experience of travelling with my teenage daughter on a history trip to France and had a guy try to get me on the dance floor on a ferry. My DD was horrified , I was flattered but turned the fellow down. GOod for the ego, but am happily married. I have a a rough year but back on the wagon at the gym. Again thanks for sharing your story.

Cheers to us girls!!!:) :)

happysinglemom: Love hearing stories about us middleaged girls taking care of ourselves. I too faced weight gain and BP problems several years ago. Worked with a trainer and lost 40 lbs. I looked better than I had in years. I had the experience of travelling with my teenage daughter on a history trip to France and had a guy try to get me on the dance floor on a ferry. My DD was horrified ' date=' I was flattered but turned the fellow down. GOod for the ego, but am happily married. I have a a rough year but back on the wagon at the gym. Again thanks for sharing your story.

Cheers to us girls!!!:) :)[/quote']

Loved the story about the guy on the dance floor - it really does make you feel good doesn't it?

And I really did not mean to imply that I am in "perfect shape" (whatever that is!). Obviously there are some things that we cannot change, and simply must make the best of. Wrinkles are certainly one of them, and I have my share. :( Well, technically you could change that, but that's a whole different topic! :D

I think the biggest surprise to me was that there were several things going on with me, and I remember thinking, "oh boy, here we go - old age." Today, none of those things are an issue any longer. I have heard some great things that people have accomplished with trainers. I think they are a terrific new addition at the gyms. I have not used one myself, but they are very popular at my gym.

happysinglemom/Bobbysgirl - I'm right there with you! I went through a very similar "transformation" over the past 7 months. While I was not considered overweight, I felt like everything was just in the wrong places and didn't feel good in my clothes. At almost 5'6" I was a size 6 but inching towards an 8 and did not like how I was feeling and nothing fit "right". So I took control. Joined Weight Watchers and the gym. I hired a trainer and worked with him for about 10 weeks. Now I am 20 lbs lighter, a size 2, attending three classes a week on body sculpting and muscle training in addition to cardio and am in the best shape I have ever been in! I feel great, my clothes fit great.

My "ego boost" was last night when the trainer giving the class I took stopped to come over and ask me how I got into such great shape. He wanted to know what I've been doing because he could not get over the shape I was in.

As for changing body structure, my butt has definitely "risen to new levels"! Trust me, you can change it!

Thank you Jane for writing that. I find Prada shoes to be a good cut as well. For me true to size. Miu Miu a little tigher but still true to size. I'm glad it wasn't just me.

I've not tried on any Prada outfits but they look small, but maybe that is just my imagination.

Yes, Ellen Tracy, definitely a size smaller, Elieen Fisher, even more so sometimes.

Congrats joelmarj, way to go, you certainly can be proud of yourself and congrats to all the other ladies too y'all can be very poud of yourselves!!!

I don't think it's her feet. I think it's the shoes.

I have some ugly feet and do wear open toe sandals. I make sure my ugly feet are clean and pedicured and will dress them in pretty toe rings. Sorry if my ugly feet are offensive to some, but that's not going to stop me from wearing sandals.

Well, I think her feet look fine. I agree with Iszu that it has to be the shoes. It looks like the 'plastic' band is pinching her feet. If those shoes make her feet look like that, then I definately am not putting them on mine!!! :o

Well, there is some truth to that, but I have to interject here.

" A guy at work told me I looked younger than I did 5 years ago. Of course that felt great, but my health was really the reason I did this. I have a resting heart rate of 43 now, and my cholestorol is 129. And I've totally changed my shape. You really can "sculpt" your body, if you have enough determination. I don't want to run off at the mouth about this, but I think far too many women are so afraid, or unknowledgeable, about exercise and weight training, that they never give it a proper go. You do have some control over your body - genes and age definitely are a factor, but I believe your own will is a greater one.

Off my soapbox now...and sorry if I went off-topic a bit. :o

Absolutely you can sculpt your body and change it! I did the exact same thing in my late twenties/early thirties and was astounded the way weight training changed my body.

For anyone who is curious, women don't have enough testosterone in their bodies to build bulky muscles.

Kudos to you happysinglemom!

singlehappymom and others

my DD thinks of her mom only with her dad. Mom's in the eyes of a 15 year old at the time, mom is wife and mother only. We live a very quiet life in a rural area. I believe we have to take care of ourselves and exercise is a good medicine at our age. That is one reason I took her on the trip was to get her out of the box. By the way I'm off to Toronto for the weekend with my DH and hope to shop til I drop Friday and Saturday. Plan to attent the wine and food expo Friday evening.

As far as the model's feet, I believe the shoes contribute to the situtation. It may be the photography as well as if the feet were positioned differently things may have been different.

For anyone who is curious, women don't have enough testosterone in their bodies to build bulky muscles.

BlueHerons,

ohmygawd......you think *anyone* under the age of 80, STILL thinks that? I was hoping that mode of thought got corrected 20 years ago!

Jane

BlueHerons,

ohmygawd......you think *anyone* under the age of 80, STILL thinks that? I was hoping that mode of thought got corrected 20 years ago!

Jane

Can you believe it? Very popular school of thought. I hear it all the time at the gym.

I certainly do have muscle. Noticeable, in fact. But nothing like these ladies....

http://www.flexonline.com/mro/final_women_bb/index.html

:eek:

So I don't know if I agree with the earlier statement, unless you qualify it with unless you take steriods . Because I think that is what these ladies must have done. Don't know though - just guessing. A little too much for my taste, and certainly nothing like what you should expect from normal workouts at the gym. ;)

My gym, which I haven't been going to, is a body builder gym. To look like this, those ladies probably did a few steroid cycles, but then cleaned up in order to compte. Then the diet that they have to do in the last month before a big competion is tuna and broccolli, and not much else. They drink lots of water until the last 5 days, then they drink very little. What the diet and lack of water does is burn off the last bit of body fat and dehydrate the body, so that the mucles pop. Not very healthy on the kidneys and liver.

The weight training part of the sport is so good for you, it is a shame that in order to show off the fruits of thier labor, they have to put the body through the ringer.

In the late 80's when female body building began to become popular (1st Ms. Olympia held in 1980) and held recognized events very few women did roids...it was way too obvious in judging.

You can look at the women, Like Rachel McLish (who was certainly someone I admired) and they were svelt, feminine, and toned.

Now, the women are larger and they seem to have lost that trim, feminine physique. Cory Everson was ok...but I'm not sure how someone could look at Tonya McKnight and NOT wonder what she was on.

We have a fitness center in our building, but when I did belong to a gym I just couldn't believe what some of these women were doing to their bodies :eek:

But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

~e

I've seen much worse than that, but you're right, not on a shoe model. Her feet look a bit irritated and red, the shoes look too tight. At least she doesn't have dry, cracked heels and her heels aren't hanging off the back of the shoe!

I agree. I especially dislike looking at heels that defy description. Summer time and cruises allow folks to just do whatever they want and I want to (and do) just look away.

You can look at the women, Like Rachel McLish (who was certainly someone I admired) and they were svelt, feminine, and toned.

~e

I'm with ya' on that one. Rachel McLish is my alltime favorite, though so is Gladys Portugese. I used to work out with her at our gym. But then she left NY to marry "the Muscle from Brussels" - Jean-Claude Van Damme.

I love the photo's of Lisa Lyons from the 70's. She was one of the first and a real groundbreaker in so many ways.

But back to the point. It's unbelievable that some women think that with a few sets of weight lifting, they'd wake up looking like a female "Aaahhhnold"! Sheesh!

Archived