Yuck!!! Look at these feet

greatam

I was looking for a new pair of evening shoes and wanted something in a slide, not a strappy sandal. These shoes are great but look at the feet in the shoes. Even mine look better than that, IMHO. Bloomies missed the boat on this shoe model.

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?b=0&ID=62082&CategoryID=1572&t1=Shoes+and+Accessories&t2=Evening+Shoes&PseudoCat=b.comSearch

MMMMmmmm, I know it is now a "Don't" but perhaps her feet and legs would look better with a pair of sheer sandal foot hose????

The vinyl on across the toes looks too tight,

and my goodness $405 for a pair of shoes, If I spent that much on a pair of shoes I'd want them to come with Global Positioning and a CD player :D

I've seen much worse than that, but you're right, not on a shoe model. Her feet look a bit irritated and red, the shoes look too tight. At least she doesn't have dry, cracked heels and her heels aren't hanging off the back of the shoe!

I was looking at one of those gossipy type magazines at the nail salon I go to a while back. They featured movie stars feet on the runway, what a horror! Hammertoes, bunions, cracked heels, all in very expensive shoes, all on very young women. I think the very glam Paris Hilton had the worst looking ones. You would think with that kind of money spent, they could get shoes that fit and a decent pedicure :rolleyes: .

I was once shocked at an article together with pictures of some of our more famous movie stars. Made me wonder why these women are slaves to the latest no stockings fad. No one, including the beautiful people should be displaying hammer toes and misshapened tootsies.

Well I guess it would be nice to have beautiful feet. I have had 4 operations on my right foot and one on my left. During one visit to the surgeon I said "I have some ugly feet" And guess what? He didn't say anything. I guess he didn't want to lie and say "No you don't" There aren't any hammer toes any more, now I just have mostly scars. But I do take care of my feet so I don't have dry cracked heels or any dry hard areas. I always have a nice pedicure and I use a pumise stone in between pedicures. I would love to wear high heels again and I would love to wear some of the really cute strappy sandals but I don't. I do wear some sandals....But, I have these velvet covers that I had made that wrap around my ankle and drap over my entire foot. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm saying I understand having ugly feet, but I guess it okay because I have a pretty face. I also have a decent figure so I just make sure no one looks below my knees and those velvet covers really do wonders.:D

j.

We don't know how many other pairs of shoes the model tried on before getting to this pair. So yes, there are some red spots that may have come about from the prior pair she was modeling. They could have been airbrushed out by the graphics department.

But to be honest, other than her right arch not in alignment with the shoe, I don't see what's so terrible in the photo. The shoe's are not her proper size or simply don't fit her foot. But when you have one model and dozens of shoes to photograph, they're not all going to fit the girl properly. It's not like clothing that can be pinned around the body to make it look like a perfect fit.

Other than the redspot, what are your objections to the model's feet?

I'm in agreement that women & men who wear sandals in public should have pedicured feet. There's no excuse for ragged or long toe-nails, callouses, cracked/dirty heels, etc. It's disgusting and easily fixed.

I think this is such an interesting thread because in just about all the threads here, many of the women tell others that it's okay for size 20 women to wear shorts in public as well as sleeveless dresses because no one is perfect and we should accept ourselves....and be comfortable. But yet, now, in this thread, it seems that no one with bunions or hammer toes should wear sandals. Ladies, why the difference? Just curious.

I'm blessed with a pair of adorable feet - nice straight toes, very high arches - (but hey, I got other parts that ain't so grand), however, it never bothered me to see people with unavoidable foot problems in a pair of sandals. Personally, people w/ cellulite wearing shorts is much more offensive to my eye, so I guess we all have our different standards of who can and can't wear certain things and I find this really interesting.

Crucero, You wear sandals with a velvet hood covering your feet? I'm trying to get a visual of this. Can you describe a little more? Thanks.

Jane

Once again my sarcastic tongue got the best of me; well in this case my sarcastic fingers.

I really don't have covers of any kind but if I did they would be velvet;)

I just know how some people think ugly feet should be in ugly shoes and I just can't do that. I will not wear ugly shoes my feet are the ugly part and really they aren't too bad it's just that to me they aren't as pretty as lets say yours are. I also have flat feet which I forgot to mention. Oh and to make things even better I wear a size 10. WoooHooooooo! Not that there is anything wrong with that.:) Just think of what Wilma Flintstones feet would look like and add some scars. :D

j.

Once again my sarcastic tongue got the best of me; well in this case my sarcastic fingers.

I really don't have covers of any kind but if I did they would be velvet;)

I just know how some people think ugly feet should be in ugly shoes and I just can't do that.

j.

Crucero,

<open palm hitting forehead>

Sheesh! That one flew right over my head! Too much wine last night!!;)

Jane

BTW, NO one should wear UGLY shoes, no matter how nice or not nice their feet are. I believe that's the number one rule in the Fashionista Handbook! :D

Jane110,

Did you zoom in on this picture? Since this is a professional shoe model and not your everday woman, should we not expect a little more perfection? The large vein just above the ankle is pronounced. The little veins around both ankles are showing badly. There is even a vein or bruise showing on the left leg. These things are what got my attention. I looked all through Bloomingdale's and NeimanMarcus online looking for shoes and that was absolutely the WORST picture I saw. My criticism was NOT aimed at normal people, but to the doyennes of fashion who let this picture slip through.

Jane - I didn't notice much other than the red spots until I enlarged the view - then I saw all of the blue veins in her feet (and up into her legs) and the discoloration in her toes (looks like too much pressure is being put on certain areas). Now, in day-to-day life, I wouldn't have such a close-up view and I certainly wouldn't think this looked terrible on your everyday person, but this is an ad to sell a beautiful pair of shoes and it doesn't showcase the shoes in a way that makes me want to buy them. I think the difference here is that this is a shoe model and we expect an ideal rather than reality. Just a bit of airbrushing would have made a better ad.

re: larger women wearing shorts and sleeveless tops/dresses - I think everyone should be comfortable in their own attire and for me that means physical and perceptional comfort (ie, I don't think I look good in shorts, therefore, I'm not comfortable wearing them). Although I am plus-size, I think I look OK in sleeveless attire, so I wear it. I personally don't take offense to what someone else is wearing, ill-fitting or otherwise, unless it's a t-shirt with foul language or an article of clothing that doesn't conceal basic modesty.

crucero - You have the feet of a warrior and those feet deserve beautiful shoes as much as, or more than, the average feet! No ugly shoes for those feet! :)

I'm really funny about how my feet look and after spending the past four months training for a marathon, I've spent a lot of time making sure my feet look decent and getting lots of pedicures.

That said, I didn't really see anything wrong with her feet however, I was unable to zoom in.

Also, those acrylic/plastic/clear shoes don't flatter anyone.

Case and point, she's a shoe model and they looked like ass on her.

This is a really interesting thread for me and I love hearing all your opinions, because I've been in the fashion biz for years and it's kind of one of those back-and-forth arguments that never gets won.

That is, models are too perfect. There's SO much backlash from "regular" folks that say that, while of course, fashions should be shown on people who look good good in them, no one is going to look as good as a model and that american women are being held to a ridiculously high standard that 99.9% of us would never attain.

But then, when shoes are shown on a model who's less than perfect, the comments run amuck with "where's the airbrushing?" and "her legs aren't perfect and since she's a shoe model she should look better".

Some of you have gone far enough to say that no one.... "regular folk" or celebrity's that walk the red carpet..... should ever be seen in sandals if they have hammer toes or bunions.

I'm not making anyone right or wrong and I take no sides here. I just find this dialog fascinating. I've been involved in hundreds of fashion shoots - from magazine covers , editorials, ads, to catalog merchandise and it's always a push pull with editors and art directors as to which way to go with models.

Is a less than perfect nose okay on a magazine cover? Can a leg with a visible vein sell a pair of sandals? Lauren Hutten was made to wear a little "false tooth" piece to cover up the space between her front teeth. Of course, once she became a celebrity model, she no longer would wear it. So, would it have been okay when she was unknown to be on a front cover w/ a space between her front teeth? I'm not looking for answers to these specific questions, but I really do enjoy reading your points of view and thoughts on this topic which is always a hot button in the fashion industry.

Keep the intelligent thoughts coming. I'm really enjoying knowing how you all think. Greatam, thanks for starting this!

Jane

You bring up good points, Jane.

While I like to think that women shouldn't have to aim for a certain 'ideal', I also think that as a consumer, I want to see something pleasing when I'm trying to make a decision on a purchase. In this case, a larger view of the shoes (which I always check out when ordering online) shows feet that are irritated, red, and with visible veins - which actually detracts from the overall look of the shoes. We want to imagine how beautiful we will look wearing this item. So, while I don't think a model needs to be 'perfect' overall, I do expect a highlighted feature to be pleasing to look at. In this case, I think a shoe model should have nice looking feet and legs.

I shop at Lane Bryant for jeans and other basics - I love seeing how beautiful and REAL the plus-size models are. But if they were stuffed into clothes that were too small, it wouldn't showcase their beauty or make me want to buy the clothes.

I guess I don't really expect/want perfection, but I do want the item to be showcased in a pleasing way - the model and item should complement each other, so to speak.

Granted it has been nearly 20 years since I modeled, but I still laugh when I watch shows like America's Next Top Model when the girls think that being pretty and thin is all it takes. Then they get upset when they can't take a decent photo.

In modeling there is constant judging and the girls are constantly being told that you are too thin, too fat (yes...I've hear girls that were a size 2 be told they were too fat), hair is too long, too short, your legs are too thick, your knees are too nobbly, your nose is too long or too wide...etc.

Then the public complains that models are too thin, or their size makes ordinary girls do terrible things to their bodies to emulate the models while the models are reminded constantly what their flaws are...at least until you "make it".

I remember in the 80's when Linda Evangelista became a household name and all the talk about how she "really" wasn't that pretty...or how Cindy Crawford should have her mole removed.

What's worse is that I have never heard a model say she loved the way she looked! We could pick out our own flaws and focus on that while the public was wishing they could look like us.

It was a no win situation.

Yes airbrushing is a blessing because that's the first thing people seem to find are the flaws!

Anyone can be blessed with good looks...but to have the looks and the talent/gumption to put up with the long hours, constant back-stabbing, and reminders of how you're not really perfect...well that's the difference between models and super models who earn a fortune.

It really isn't as simple as it appears.

That's my little say on the matter :)

~e

Gosh, I would just love it if my feet looked that good. I have ugly nails and toes. And a large "bunion". I wear sandals but I am very carful of style and fit..I am trying a nail treatment Nailtiques.

I really don't want to have to wear hosiery and closed shoes to Hawaii for 14 days.

Connie

I personally don't see anything wrong with those feet, except a little redness.

Don't you all think it is actually a good thing that they are showing someone with not exactly "perfect" feet? That women will look at the picture and think they can wear those shoes with their not quite perfect feet?

I personally think the shoes are revolting anyhow, and don't see how they would flatter anyone's feet!

I M H O :)

Jane, excellent points an I agree with you. MsRed, I also loved what you wrote, excellent points, I personally know that it takes a lot more than thin and pretty to be a model, let alone a top one.

Linda, I didn't like her, and I think she screwed herself when she said, "she won't get out of bed for less than $10,000" per day. While it's hard work to be a model, yes, very hard work, I think the salaries are over the top just as with professional atheletes. Many other people work as hard, or harder than a model for a lot less than $10,000 per day. Personally I think she gave models a bad rep with that comment.

Personally, I would have not noticed the feet if it would not have been pointed out to me.

For Jane, my personal opinon is that, I would prefer to see clothing in magazines that are on more real people. I think the thinness (I was a size 2 at one time) in the magazines are doing more damage to young girls these days with their health. And a size 2 is smaller today than it was 25 years ago.

Hubby made a comment not to long ago when we saw a group of teenage girls. He said "they are thinner than they were at our age", and you know what he was right at least in our opinion.

I've had this discussion with others, and think back ladies those of you whoare in my age group, and remember when Marilyn Monroe was sexy and her body type was good? I was a kid when she died, but I remember pictures of Jane Russell as a pinnup girl, she was not "skinny". Clothing sizes in some respects have gotten smaller. I used to be a size 2, but I doubt I could have fit into the size 2 of today.

I think that the models need to be a bit bigger. I think the industry needs to start showing young girls a bit "heavier" or we may have a bigger health problem on our hands than we realize with teenage girls.

I also think manufacturers who make clothing like Missoni, need to make it in bigger sizes. Think about this, a young girl or even a 20 something, wants to wear whats "in". They might start being bulemic or anorexic to be able to wear the clothing. If designers made stuff bigger, they would probably sell more too. I know there are hip stuff in certain stores, but what if they want to shop at Saks or want a Prada. Prada doesn't do "larger sizes" I don't think they even go to a normal 14.

I look at the sizeing and I see size it listed "large (8 - 10) or large (10 - 12). Now think of a young girl and she is not fat, size 8 or 10 but she says, size large? I must be fat and this can be the trigger of a health problem.

Jane you know what I hear most from sales people, is "if it were made bigger, we could sell more".

I also believe as women age, no matter if your weight remains the same, your body weight shifts. You can be in great shape, the picture of health and as you get older, it just shifts. And for women who are still in great shape but a bigger size might be needed especially after child bearing years. Hips got a bit fuller or rounder, breat size changes, or even menopause, body shape changes and hence size changes.

I bet Juicy would tripple their market share if they made bigger sizes. I don't mean mass market, I mean same stores, just make bigger sizes. Even for a store like Saks, they shoul do a plus size line. They would most likely quadrupple their market share.

Look at Barney's, their sizes are small, I was in Barney's when I was in NYC and I gotta tell you, some of the "mature women" looked so sick they were so thin. The thinness on some just looked anorexic and not healthy. Some of course, looked nice thin, but some looked absoultely starved and sick.

Granted it has been nearly 20 years since I modeled, but I still laugh when I watch shows like America's Next Top Model when the girls think that being pretty and thin is all it takes. Then they get upset when they can't take a decent photo.

I remember in the 80's when Linda Evangelista became a household name .

It really isn't as simple as it appears.

That's my little say on the matter :)

~e

The New York Times did an article in last Sunday's paper about how the girls in the America'a Next Top Model will never make it as America's Next Top Model because of their weight and the way they look. From what I remember the bottom line was they are too fat and not ethnic looking enough.

BTW, Linda Evangelista has always been one of my favorites.

This is an interesting discussion. While the models feet are not perfect, I did not immediatley think Yuck! when I saw them. We're so used to seeing professional photos of models being airbrushed into perfection, I think they may have missed the airbrush department with this one. Unfortunately, this airbrushing they do makes us all feel as though there are these perfect bodies out there.

In reality, her feet are much prettier than the majority of people you see around town. While I don't think the appearance of your feet should dictate what type of shoes a person wears, the shoes should at least fit.

A couple of years ago I was in a shoe department waiting my turn. This woman, looking to be in her 60's or so, very well dressed, well coifed, was trying on slides that were just too small for her. I remember watching her, amazed that she would not even consider the half size up the salesman was offering her, she insisted that he stretch the band at the top of the shoe she had on instead. Her heel were cracked and dry looking, because she insisted on wearing slides that her heels hung over the back.

Why do we get so hung up on size? If a person wears properly fitting shoes, they won't have all those foot problems. I wear a size 10 wide (can be hard to find) but I don't go around hobbling in my shoes, my feet are healthy looking, albeit with a lifetime of veins, I don't hang off the back or front of sandals. When I mention my foot size to another person, they cannot believe my feet are that big. Wearing a too small shoe (at least to me) makes your foot look larger, not smaller. Just like wearing too tight clothes makes you look fatter, not thinner.

Archived