Military Rates-Something to remember!

QTBabyNurse

I e-mailed my FIL's DD214 to carnival and followed up with my CVP about 5 days later... yes, they had it. But we ended up cancelling the military booking, as I got a better deal through a TA than the military rate. I actually saved another $180 on their cabin and moved them from inside to balcony in the process (and saved $180 too) so just cause you qualify for military rates, make sure you look around as well.

They ran a "friends and family sale" for cruises that were booked in a specific three-week time period earlier this year (I think it was in July). Otherwise, it's for the servicemember's cabin only, I believe.

Rose,

Carnival has restarted the Friends and Family program. Some PVP's are aware of it and others are not. I am trying to get it applied to my SIL's cabin as they are traveling with us but they are telling us all of the military setasides are already booked. It is worth $200 off the total price on a 5-day cruise.

Dave

Dave,

Is this a special sale, or is it on all cruises all the time provided it's available? This is definitely something to be aware of.

And here's another question I wonder about .... if I book a cruise and then can't go, do family that are booked with my rate (military rate) get to keep that rate if we cancel?

Dave,

Is this a special sale, or is it on all cruises all the time provided it's available? This is definitely something to be aware of.

And here's another question I wonder about .... if I book a cruise and then can't go, do family that are booked with my rate (military rate) get to keep that rate if we cancel?

Not that I am an expert on the subject Rose, but no they can't. Otherwise there would be a lot of manipulation of the system going on.

Not that I am an expert on the subject Rose, but no they can't. Otherwise there would be a lot of manipulation of the system going on.

That is pretty much what I figured... based on the situation we're in with maybe having to cancel whatever our next cruise is, I didn't want to take the risk of booking friends with us or whatever, or offering it to family, knowing they'd get caught holding the bag if we have to cancel.

Thank you!

Dave,

Rose that is what we were told-- The military person needs to be present. They can not book and not show up. They must sail. Liek Don says--there would be a lot of people sailing under the military rate is that was allowed to happen

Rose,

Carnival has restarted the Friends and Family program. Some PVP's are aware of it and others are not. I am trying to get it applied to my SIL's cabin as they are traveling with us but they are telling us all of the military setasides are already booked. It is worth $200 off the total price on a 5-day cruise.

Dave

Just curious how you know this...is it on their website? I couldn't find it. That would be great if they restarted it because according to a website I check, I can upgrade my parents AGAIN from a OVG to an 8B. (I know...I know...doesn't necessarily mean what they have available is what Carnival has available).

They would be traveling as "friends" of the mliitary, not family, since it's my family and not my fiance's and he's the one in the AF. Do booking numbers have to be linked when traveling with a military person's discount? Any other restrictions?

Just curious how you know this...is it on their website? I couldn't find it. That would be great if they restarted it because according to a website I check, I can upgrade my parents AGAIN from a OVG to an 8B. (I know...I know...doesn't necessarily mean what they have available is what Carnival has available).

They would be traveling as "friends" of the mliitary, not family, since it's my family and not my fiance's and he's the one in the AF. Do booking numbers have to be linked when traveling with a military person's discount? Any other restrictions?

Just got off the phone with my PVP - he says that is for "this month only." So if you're going to call, I'd call quick! :D

My missus, BIL & SIL and MIL are sailing on Victory in January. My BIL is active Army. I'm a Vietnam veteran (USAF). Once we found out we were eligible for a military discount (dependent wives included), and once we found out how much the discount was, we booked three category 11 suites. The cost for each suite was $890 after the military discount was applied. We saved almost $500 per person with the military discount.

Rose, if you're reading this, you and I e-mailed each other couple of weeks ago. My wife and I are the ones thinking about moving to OKC or thereabouts. We'll be in OKC this weekend (the 19th and 20th). Any suggestions on what to see to get a good idea of the area? If you don't have my e-mail anymore, it's rickcop44@aol.com

Does the discount apply only to military personnel or to Government employees as well? I know in some hotels the GOV rate includes both military & government workers. (Gov workers would be policemen, FBI, etc...)

At the time we booked our cruise and got the military discount, there were also discounts for law enforcement personnel. The discounts weren't quite as good as the military discounts, but they were still fairly steep. I looked seriously at them because I spent over 20 years as a police officer in addition to being a veteran. I don't recall seeing any specific discounts for "government workers."

At the time we booked our cruise and got the military discount, there were also discounts for law enforcement personnel. The discounts weren't quite as good as the military discounts, but they were still fairly steep. I looked seriously at them because I spent over 20 years as a police officer in addition to being a veteran. I don't recall seeing any specific discounts for "government workers."

Oops. Sorry about that. How do these double posts occur?

Just got off the phone with my PVP - he says that is for "this month only." So if you're going to call, I'd call quick! :D

No problem there...I'd HAVE to call before the end of the month because as of December 1, I'm heading to Cocoa Beach for my wedding and then immediately off to the honeymoon cruise! :D

Thanks for the info - I'll call my mom's PVP and see if I can get them upgraded.

Tonya,

Usually they require the military member to be in one of the cabins and they are allowed up to two additional cabins to be booked. It is not on their website. My TA had to call twice to find someone who knew anything about the program.

Dave

Rose - can you e-mail me your PVP's name and number? I called Carnival twice, first called my parents PVP, who put me on hold for 15 minutes to tell me that she had no information, then I called back and spoke to whoever answered the phone and they didn't know either.

tmars81 at hotmail dot com

thanks!

Another point to consider for active military personnel - OUr PVP told us that the military discount also provides you with protection right up until the sail date. If the active duty person cannot cruise due to a change in orders, Carnival will refund 100%. This happened to us but we were lucky enough to be able to rebook a later cruise. We are so grateful to Carnival for their support.

Rose - can you e-mail me your PVP's name and number? I called Carnival twice, first called my parents PVP, who put me on hold for 15 minutes to tell me that she had no information, then I called back and spoke to whoever answered the phone and they didn't know either.

tmars81 at hotmail dot com

thanks!

Done.

Our PVP is "looking into" the details, though he is gone on a one week cruise himself. We don't sail until March on the Liberty, final payment at Christmas... should we have the military discount figured out before final payment? or can we fix it afterwards? Is there a specific person I should have my PVP speak to at Carnival for this info? We are new to this information and are afraid of missing out on a significant savings. Also, does the discount apply to per person or per cabin, there are 9 of us going, with three cabins.

Our PVP is "looking into" the details, though he is gone on a one week cruise himself. We don't sail until March on the Liberty, final payment at Christmas... should we have the military discount figured out before final payment? or can we fix it afterwards? Is there a specific person I should have my PVP speak to at Carnival for this info? We are new to this information and are afraid of missing out on a significant savings. Also, does the discount apply to per person or per cabin, there are 9 of us going, with three cabins.

Mitchpam,

The current program allows up to two additional cabins to be booked. Again keep in mind that there are limited cabins on each sailing. Some sailings have none. You should have the discount figured in as soon as you can because of the limited cabins available. In one of my previous post, I was trying to get the discount applied to our second cabin and have not been able to because all of the alloted number of cabins have the discount applied to them.

Any PVP should be able to help you but we are finding out that not all of them know about it. It takes a supervisor to make the determination that the discount applies. Usually you are booked at the going rate and then after the supervisor approves it, the military discount is then applied. Usually about a week later. The discount is at a per person rate so there will also be a small discount on the 3rd and 4th person. We have found that Carnival is higher on 3rd/4th person rates compared to other lines such as NCL.

Dave

OK.. got an answer from the PVP... they check directly with Carnival to see if there are any mil. rates., then pass it on to the customer if there are any left. So far, none for us, but she said to keep trying because sometimes the rate is just being held under a downpayment, but could still end up being released. Sounds like a gamble, but if the savings are as good as what people are saying I guess it will be worth trying for. Such a game...

Now onto the game of airfare!!!

I asked my TA about sixty days out before final payment about any discounts being offered. She came back with the military discount being offered to U.S. Military and Retired. All I did was email my DD-214 and Mlitary ID (blank out SSN on both). Along with conformation# sail date, and ship. My TA received e-mail conformation with my new price. Thanks Carnival.

The address for all military and retired to insure your documentation gets to Carnival. Also do keep your TA in the know.

address:

interline@carnival.com

Archived