How available are taxis in Le Havre cruise port pier around 10 AM?

Spideysmum

Just booked our train reservation to Paris (leaving ship early) for the noon train Gare Le Havre to Gare Lazare. We plan on leaving ship around 10 AM but I'm wondering if most day trippers will have disembarked earlier and taxis won't be as available later in the morning. I've booked semi flexible tickets so if we got to the station earlier we can change. I'm probably overthinking this.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every day is a bit different so its impossible to be 100% certain about your day. But, as an example, a few years ago we jumped off the Ruby Princess (1 day early) in order to spend a few weeks in France. We had booked the Noon (actually a few minutes before Noon) train to Paris. Like you, we got off the ship around 10am, grabbed our luggage (which was waiting in the small terminal building) and walked out to the taxi queue. There were a few taxis, but none wanted to do the short haul to the local train station. We waited about 10 min until we found a driver willing to do the short haul if we would share with another passenger who was going to a local ATM machine. If you are off at 10, you will eventually get some taxi to take you to the station (about a 10 min drive).

Hank

Thank you, Hank. That rather confirms my suspicion. Hmmmm. I'm not above offering double posted fare (done before) and we can also walk -one rolling bag each and a backpack. I saw it was about 35 minute hike.

Don't think anyone on our roll call is leaving early but maybe I'll meet someone else that morning who is also leaving.

Julie

Thank you, Hank. That rather confirms my suspicion. Hmmmm. I'm not above offering double posted fare (done before) and we can also walk -one rolling bag each and a backpack. I saw it was about 35 minute hike.

Don't think anyone on our roll call is leaving early but maybe I'll meet someone else that morning who is also leaving.

Julie

DW and I have made that walk a few times (we love to take long walks), but never dragging luggage. But yes, it could be done although it would likely take you closer to 45 min....with luggage. But not to fear, because you will find a taxi. But you do need to allow a little extra time if you run into resistance from some drivers. Getting off around 10 will give you that extra time margin.

One irony, for us, was the hassles we had getting a taxi in Paris. Our apartment was located in Paris in the St Gemaine des Pres area which is quite a distance from the station. When we walked out of the station there were no taxis in the queue and at least 20 others waiting for a taxi. So we walked a few blocks (rolling our luggage) to another taxi stand...where their were also no taxis....but only one Parisian waiting. It took us nearly 15 min until we finally waved down a taxi...as I was in the process of ordering a radio taxi on my phone (the G7 taxi company has an English speaking line). We were not really in a rush, so it was not a big deal....but thank goodness it happened to be a gorgeous day. Finding a taxi in Paris, on a rainy day, can be a real exercise in futility.

My advice is to have a cell phone that works, and be registered with Uber....and also have the G7 (a very reliable Paris taxi company) number in your contacts.

Hank

Great advice. Thanks. I will try to be patient-not exactly a trait I have and hope for a taxi.

We, also, had difficulty getting a taxi at Gare Lazare last time around. We are registered with uber and I'll try to get that G7 info on my phone. At the moment, though, we are thinking metro direct line to Republique in Le Marais where our apartment is. Knowing that it is the middle of a Friday afternoon makes me think that might be a huge hassle. But oh well...to be in Paris is worth any small annoyance. [emoji2]. Julie

Great advice. Thanks. I will try to be patient-not exactly a trait I have and hope for a taxi.

We, also, had difficulty getting a taxi at Gare Lazare last time around. We are registered with uber and I'll try to get that G7 info on my phone. At the moment, though, we are thinking metro direct line to Republique in Le Marais where our apartment is. Knowing that it is the middle of a Friday afternoon makes me think that might be a huge hassle. But oh well...to be in Paris is worth any small annoyance. [emoji2]. Julie

We love the Paris Metro. But with luggage....not so sure :).

Hank

The Metro station at Republique has steps no matter which exit you chose and there are many exits from the station since so many lines have stops there.

The Metro station at Republique has steps no matter which exit you chose and there are many exits from the station since so many lines have stops there.

Hmmm. Good point. We've, in the past, come with luggage from Gare du Nord and there is an exit near the corner of rue du Temple and Republique that had an escalator to the street. I'll have to research the line that comes in from Gare Lazare and see if somehow we could find that same exit. Thanks. [emoji2]

Julie

• 3 weeks later...
Every day is a bit different so its impossible to be 100% certain about your day. But, as an example, a few years ago we jumped off the Ruby Princess (1 day early) in order to spend a few weeks in France. We had booked the Noon (actually a few minutes before Noon) train to Paris. Like you, we got off the ship around 10am, grabbed our luggage (which was waiting in the small terminal building) and walked out to the taxi queue. There were a few taxis, but none wanted to do the short haul to the local train station. We waited about 10 min until we found a driver willing to do the short haul if we would share with another passenger who was going to a local ATM machine. If you are off at 10, you will eventually get some taxi to take you to the station (about a 10 min drive).

Hank

Hank, we are also leaving the ship early in LeHavre for Paris. We arrive in LeHavre at 7:00 am. From your experience is it too early to try to catch the 10:00 am train to Paris? There are 3 of us all handling our own luggage and in our 40s.

Thanks for your input.

Diana

Hank, we are also leaving the ship early in LeHavre for Paris. We arrive in LeHavre at 7:00 am. From your experience is it too early to try to catch the 10:00 am train to Paris? There are 3 of us all handling our own luggage and in our 40s.

Thanks for your input.

Diana

We would probably do it and I am a senior :). Especially if you are hauling your own luggage off the ship. Just give yourself extra time to get a taxi from the port (as we have warned...some taxis will not want to do that short haul). But its a short taxi ride (less then 15 min...even in traffic) from the port to the train station.

It is wise to purchase your train tickets in advance (these trains can sell out) which also saves time having to deal with ticket office at the station. The best place (price wise) to buy tickets is directly through the SNCF site....which can be a bit of a challenge. It used to be that SNCF's site would link you over to Rail Europe's site...if you said you were in the USA....but not sure if this is still the case. We were able to override that link by simply saying we were in France. But once we purchased our tickets we would simply get them via the internet with no problem. Not sure about how their site works now (things are always changing) but you can certainly start at SNCF.com and see how it goes.

Hank