Hawaii in March?

bunky144

Will I be sorry I booked the first week of March for a 15 day Hawaii cruise? I have been reading that they sometimes have very bad rain storms at that time or year, any feedback on past experience would be greatly appreciated. Have not yet made final payment although Jan/Feb did not have any balcony rooms left. Thanks you in advance for any info you share! Happy Cruising!

Bunky, I did that cruise in March 2004 and it was beautiful in Hawaii. The first few days over and last few days coming back to LA was a bit windy, cool and rough, but other than that, it was pretty calm and very warm/tropical. We did miss one port because it was too windy. A bit disappointing to some as people said that was the most beautiful port on the cruise. I wouldn't worry about your booking -- enjoy it!

Actually January and February is much rainier in Hawai'i than March... It will be cool on the west coast, but should be nice in Hawai'i. Yes, it's still possible to get a good rainstorm in March, but rain can happen any day, at any time in Hawai'i, particularly on the windward sides of the islands. In most cases it doesn't last too long.

March is a nice time to go, you'll have a lot of fun! I hope you're also spending some additional time in the islands though. The Hawaiian islands are nothing like the Caribbean, you can't even begin to see all of Hawai'i from a ship.

When we were there (March/April) there were a few times it rained but it was more of a drizzle than a shower and it would soon end. I remember driving back from the north shore of Oahu where it was raining and we went through a tunnel to come out to a sunny clear sky! There were rainbows all over the place and the flowers were abundant and beautiful! We are now going in January so we will experience the winter season.

John L.

I love Hawaii in February and March. The weather can be a little rainy (but this is pretty much true all year around in Hawaii). It is less likely to be hot, and less crowded. An added bonus is that you will still see humpback whales, which you don't see in the later spring, summer or early fall (when they are in Alaska and the Bering Sea). There is no bad time to go to Hawaii. Just prepare for cool weather and some rain your first couple days and last couple of days at sea.

We did the Hawaii cruise this past March and for the most part the islands were great. The only time it rained was on the big island. It cleared up after a couple of hours and was great. It also rained while we were taking a helicopter tour in Mauai in the mountains only. But they do get rain there about 350 days out of the year.

Take the cruise, it was great and you'll enjoy it.

NCL Dawn 9/05

• 1 month later...

My neighbors have a house in Maui, I too have been concerned about the weather. As I am going in March on Celebrity. (I know what am I doing on this board:) ) My neighbors told me that March is a fantastic time to go. In the mountains they said it will be cool, and they agreed that it rains all the time there but they are breif showers. I looked at the temp in la today it is 79 degrees. With this odd weather we are having who knows what the weather will be like.

Archived