Port Inspections of Packages

During a recent cruise on another unnamed cruise line, it was very clear to all who re-boarded that the return inspections were rather cursory to the point it was obvious to a causal observer that wine and other spirits were getting past the security protocols. Anyone have an opinion as to the package inspections on return to an RC ship?

What I observed on the Carnival check in was some confusion. They seemed more concerned with beach towel turn in and the 2 stations were close enough to add to confusion. Security would watch you head to spirits turn in and then return to x-ray equipment. Folks would turn in towels and simply walk away from the spirits desk.

At peak times for port re-embarkation on Carnival, I've observed this to be true. If they put both tables next to each other and there are folks milling about with towels and chasing down kiddos and confused about where to go next, then it is relatively easy to get passed the liquor table. Not so much if you waltz back early and the smiling crew member at the liquor table has his/her eyes glued to you and the scanner.

So the take away is....if you gotta have a special quaff from a particular port and you bring it back on board, it they wiggle their fingers at you and you have to hand it over, you'll get it on the last evening of the cruise. If those in front of you "run interference" by blocking the view of the liquor table and you slip into the elevator and are away, enjoy your prize!:D

What I observed on the Carnival check in was some confusion. They seemed more concerned with beach towel turn in and the 2 stations were close enough to add to confusion. Security would watch you head to spirits turn in and then return to x-ray equipment. Folks would turn in towels and simply walk away from the spirits desk.

They expect you will take the spirits to the table as requested. Most people do when requested. What I noticed is that they don't follow up. Twice I was with someone, not the same person each time, who had a bottle of local spirit. The spirit was noticed and were instructed to turn it in at a table. We said okay but didn't. So if you don't they might not notice.