Liquor Questions for the Sun on Sunday from Houston

nawenak

I'm still confused on the selling of liquor on the Sun, Sunday leaving out of Houston.

Will we be able to buy mixed and "fru-fru" drinks from the ship's bars on Sunday? Or is it just beer or wine, or what about champagne? We have ordered a bar setup and realize that they will be delivered on Monday. My SIL doesn't drink beer or wine so we would like to plan accordingly.:cool:

Texas is a maze with its liquor, beer and wine laws. They change from county precinct to county precinct, even in the same city. Having said the above, NCL ships have to sail through two to four counties, depending on its route through Galveston Bay, before they reach the open seas outside Texas' jurisdiction.

Luckily, in these Texas counties precincts that NCL ships sail through do allow for liquor, beer and wine by the drink. But the sale of bottled spirits is another story.

Living in Texas or cruising out of Houston can be a nightmere on a Sunday sailing. Like Don said, it's a strange state and mostly no liquor by the bottle can be sold on Sundays so in cabin set ups can not take place til the ship is in international waters, but drinks can be served by the glass. Yes, you will be able to get yourself that sail away cocktail. Wine and beer can be sold on Sundays unless it is a totally dry city which is becoming more rare all the time. NMnita

Any NCL liquor gifts will not be delivered until Monday because of Texas law.

Also, the first night while in Texas waters, the liquor served has to be purchased in Texas, so what you get is the cheaper well brands instead of premium. I guess NCL figures they'll buy just enough of the cheap brands to get themselves through the first night , and then start serving their own inventory.

I can't say for sure about the wine and beer, but I think it will be the same situation, limited availability the first night.

Tiger

If you think Texas laws, and precinct restrictions are bad, you should try riding an Amtrak train through Arkansas on Sunday. The entire state is dry on Sunday. No wine, no beer, and no spirits.

So, if you're riding the Texas Eagle through Arkansas on Sunday, either a Saturday departure from Texas, Chicago, or St. Louis, party later into the night. It'll be almost afternoon before you cross State Lines and can get a drink.

Actually you can get alcohol in restaurants on Sunday, but only after Noon. And only in certain counties. There are lots of Last Stop Liquor stores around here. And when they say Last Stop, it isn't just a name.

Seems like you may have a bit of a bigger problem if you can't wait to drink until the ship leaves Texas waters. How about a nice cup of tea or a visit to the gym to burn off some of that flab?
Because that isn't nearly as much fun!!! The gym and tea or coffee comes, maybe on MOnday. NMnita

Archived