Magen's Bay

Auntiejo

We usually go to St. John when we stop in St. Thomas, but our ship sails at 4 PM and we don't want to be under that kind of pressure to get back. I always read that you should avoid Magen's Bay because it's so crowded. However, we're the only ship in port the day we're there. Would it be reasonable to expect that it won't be so jam packed? Almost everything I read about MB says it's always crowded, but I'm guessing that's because there's almost always 5-8 ships in port at once.

Also, how far is it from the cruise port (not sure which dock we'll be at)?

We find Magens to be more crowded than we like with even 1 ship in port. You can find a less busy spot away from the concessions.Taxi will be 15 - 20 min.

If you've always just headed to STJ and you're trying beaches on STT for the first time I'd suggest Lindqvist or Sapphire over Magens. The choice between the two depends on whether you want to grab a lunch and drinks at Gourmet Gallery and just lay on your towel at Lindqvist, or have lounges and beach service at Sapphire. These beaches just have more "character" in our opinion...

Couple of things. If you really wanted to hold your St a John's just take the ships explore St John on your own tour. Ships tour so all you have to do is get back to the St. John's dock on time for the ride back to the ship.

As for st Thomas I thought Magen's was expensive and overrated. Very crowded at the beach was not that great. My brother recently went to Coki and like it much better than Magen's. Sapphire is supposed to be good as well

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we were at Magen's Bay last year (Jan. 2016) it was not crowded at all. We took about a 20minute cab ride there for $10 each (and again on way back) and that was all we spent. I had always read/heard that Magen's Bay was one of the "Top 10 Beaches of the World!" and wanted to go there. Now, I haven't been all over the world, but it was beautiful and I am glad we went. The view was so pretty, water was warm and a gorgeous color, you could walk all along the beach, the snorkeling wasn't the greatest but saw the odd fish (more toward the Left when looking at beach), there were iguanas at one of the picnic tables posing for pictures for us. There is also a little Nature Trail you can go for a walk on, if that interests you. Everyone has their own opinions about different beaches, but just thought I would let you know how much we enjoyed Magen's Bay. I have recently read some reviews that Sapphire is not the greatest, especially if windy, but did hear Lindquist was top-rated as well. We are going back next year and are thinking of going to Coki Beach, even though we have always heard it is more crowded/touristy there, as it is supposed to have better snorkeling and more things to do, which may be better as this time we are traveling with friends.

Sitting here looking at the snow in my backyard, I would take any beach! Best Escape Anyone Can Have! :)

When we were at Magen's Bay last year (Jan. 2016) it was not crowded at all. We took about a 20minute cab ride there for $10 each (and again on way back) and that was all we spent. I had always read/heard that Magen's Bay was one of the "Top 10 Beaches of the World!" and wanted to go there. Now, I haven't been all over the world, but it was beautiful and I am glad we went. The view was so pretty, water was warm and a gorgeous color, you could walk all along the beach, the snorkeling wasn't the greatest but saw the odd fish (more toward the Left when looking at beach), there were iguanas at one of the picnic tables posing for pictures for us. There is also a little Nature Trail you can go for a walk on, if that interests you. Everyone has their own opinions about different beaches, but just thought I would let you know how much we enjoyed Magen's Bay. I have recently read some reviews that Sapphire is not the greatest, especially if windy, but did hear Lindquist was top-rated as well. We are going back next year and are thinking of going to Coki Beach, even though we have always heard it is more crowded/touristy there, as it is supposed to have better snorkeling and more things to do, which may be better as this time we are traveling with friends.

Sitting here looking at the snow in my backyard, I would take any beach! Best Escape Anyone Can Have! :)

Thanks for the info!