PC Dining on the Island stinks!

Kevin

We just got back from the 5/22 sailing of the Island. We got to hear the wailing and moaning from the Diamond passengers in Skagway and Ketchikan. At least they did not have to tender in Ketchikan!

But anyway back to my cruise. We had a good time. Princess really has cut back since our first cruise in '95.

It was annoying to have to pay 2 dollars for a glass of orange juice in Horizon court.

It was annoying to have to pay 1.25 for a packet of hot chocolat.

I don't know if it is just the Island or if it is a combination of the automatic tipping and PC dining but I will never do PC dining again. At least with first seating traditional dining they have to get you out in time for second seating.

The first night there was a 1 hour 45 minute lag between my soup and entree. The entire meal took 3 hours and 45 minutes.

The next night the meal was cut down to almost exactly 3 hours.

Lunch and Breakfast were served with the same deliberate speed. It did not matter who was our waiter.

The first two nights our water glasses were never refilled despite several requests.

We made reservations since we had a large party and came to the dining room to find another party seated at our reserved table. The Maitre'd had assigned the table to three groups at the same time.

On the fourth night we tried the dining room again. This time we actually got a waiter who cared. We were in and out of the dining room in only 2 hours.

Are all the Princess ships this slow in PC dining or does the Island just have an incompetent dining staff?

Our Cruise Info Page

Are you saying if you want orange juice with breakfast you have to pay for it or hot chocolate? Unbelievable.

Diamond Princess Sept 2004

Queen Mary 2 Inaugural 4/2004

NCL Sun June 2003

NCL Sun April 2003

RCCL Radiance Sept 2002

HAL Ryndam May 2002

RCCL Vision Sept 2000

Kevin, not that I don't believe you but on our recent Regal cruise, they had the OJ already pre-poured and ready to pick up from the tray. I wanted cranberry juice and all I had to do was ask.

Seems weird that you'd be charged for orange juice unless it was canned from the cart.

Song of Norway & Song of America, 1986-88; Royal Princess 2/99; Sun Princess 1/00; Ocean Princess 12/00; Royal Princess 4/01; Grand Princess 12/23/01; Sea Princess 2/9/02; Explorer of the Seas 12/21/02; Coral Princess 8/9/03; Nordic Empress 12/27/03; Regal Princess (4/20/04)

-- Caribbean Princess (12/26/04) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2004;12;26;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

-- Royal Princess (4/21/05) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2005;04;21;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

When we sailed the Island we were disappointed with PC dining. I think it is because they only have one PC dining room where that Grand class ships have two.

That was the only fault we could find with the Island.

You only have to pay for OJ if you want the fresh squeezed from the bar. The regular OJ is available in the Horizon Court buffet as it is on all other ships.

Scott

Agree with you that for some reason the length of time to complete dinner in the PC dining room on the Island, even last Feb. was far too long. My limit of sitting at a dining table is not longer than two hours...max.

From now on it's 1st traditional.

Island Princess - Hawaii, Nov.5/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;5;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Sun Princess - Feb.7/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;02;7;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived