Port of Livorno - Shuttle from Ship to Town - Protestors

logan25

Had an unexpected experience while riding the local shuttle from port to town on March 7. A group of locals were protesting outside the port gate. Our shuttle bus waited at the port entrance, not just for traffic to clear, but allowed a protestor to board the shuttle bus. The protestor walked the entire length of the bus handing out literature to each passenger detailing some part of their grievance. Additionally, the protestor was allowed to use the microphone to voice his platform of grievance. The protestor specifically ended his diatribe by saying if we wish to complain, we should not complain to the Port of Livorno, but complain to NCL. Because, according to the protestor, NCL is the party with whom they have grievance. Even after reading the literature and hearing the protestor, I am unclear what is the grievance and how it relates to NCL.

However, I am appalled the passengers were held captive for this display. I brought it to the attention of Guest Services when I returned to the ship later. I am not at all pointing the finger of blame at NCL. The blame lies IMO with port authorities and shuttle personnel for allowing this. Why is this not a security concern to allow an outsider to board transportation which passengers are required to take from ship to town (other than those booked on NCL tours, pre-booked taxis and local tours which pick up at the ship...). Passengers are not allowed to simply walk out of the dock area, so the for-fee shuttle is our only option.

When I relayed the incident to Guest Services, the representative was unaware of such interaction. Were any other shuttles boarded by protestors besides the one I rode?