Freedom Eastern Trip Report - 2/18/17 – Eight Days THIS Week w/ lots of photos!

Thank you for the review can't wait to hear more....also have a question for you....we sailed Indy and loved it, we are booked on Harmony wanted to try the largest ship, but found this 8th nights with some great ports we have not been to and price is almost 1k less on Freedom( one extra night!!!!). So dealing with dilema do I switch and save 🙄....when you sailed Allure and now went back to the smaller ship what was your feeling ....did you miss the big ship? We haven't been on any of the large ships yet so only know what we are missing on reviews and photos. Could you give me your point of view to compare your experience between the two classes? Thank you !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We go back and forth between Voyager/ Freedom/ and Oasis class ships easily and enjoy all three classes. I think that I find myself a bit more relaxed when on the V/F ships. On the O class here always seems to be something going on and with my inability to sit still very long it doesn't help the situation. The big thing with the O class for me is the Aqua Theater. I absolutely love the water shows. But I know when we are on the V/F ships it simply won't be there and that is fine. The shows also are very much weather dependent so you can find yourself on an O class ships and the Aqua shows cancelled which can be a bit disappointing. I also enjoy the ability to be a bit more spontaneous on the V/F ships with not having to do so much planning for the entertainment venues pre-cruise. The other side of the coin is that for someone like me who likes to be on the move and walk a lot the O class provides a lot of real estate to be able to roam around on. There again, I miss having access to the helipad on the O class. I like spending some time there at night on the V/F ships.

We book the O class when we find a good price but I love the 8 night itinerary that Freedom is doing. We have done it several times on Navigator, Independence, and Freedom. For this itinerary and $1000.00 less I would not second guess a decision to pick Freedom. Harmony will be around a long time. You will get an opportunity to sail the ship in the future and maybe for less money. However, if you are going to be standing on Freedom and looking over at Harmony and wishing that you were on it then book it. I think the key is to enjoy the venues that are available to you on the ship that you happen to be on and not think about what would have been available to you if you were on another ship. We just got off of Freedom two weeks ago and had a great cruise even with not so great weather.

I agree with what Ocean Boy said - I loved the Allure, but for the less cost, extra day, and new ports, it was a no-brainer for us. Also, going from Oasis to Freedom class isn't downsizing by too much - you're going from the largest ship class in the world to the 2nd largest. :D

That being said, I also tend to get stir crazy and in need of something to do most of the time, so I do not think I could sail on anything smaller than the Freedom class. Our first cruise was on Monarch several years ago and I thought I was gonna go crazy on there! Way too small for me because I can only lay by the pool for an hour tops before I get bored... :)

Really enjoying your review and your great photos. Menu sounds great to me. Hope it is as good when Freedom comes to Europe. Can I ask what are the productions like in Arcadia? Are they musical in nature or comedy or variety? Also are the pools big enough to actually swim in? Always seems to be activities on in them in peoples photos.

This webpage link below gives great descriptions of what the two main permanent production shows are about ("Once Upon a Time" and "Marquee"):

Freedom Arcadia Shows

Besides those, there are always other performers on board but they rotate (magicians, comedians, etc), so I do not know what will be onboard when Freedom goes to Europe.

Also in the Arcadia one of the nights will be the "Love and Marriage" game show that is hosted my the cruise director. It is styled after the old American tv game show "The Newlywed Game".

Hope that helps!

I agree with what Ocean Boy said - I loved the Allure, but for the less cost, extra day, and new ports, it was a no-brainer for us. Also, going from Oasis to Freedom class isn't downsizing by too much - you're going from the largest ship class in the world to the 2nd largest. :D

That being said, I also tend to get stir crazy and in need of something to do most of the time, so I do not think I could sail on anything smaller than the Freedom class. Our first cruise was on Monarch several years ago and I thought I was gonna go crazy on there! Way too small for me because I can only lay by the pool for an hour tops before I get bored... :)

I agree. After sailing the Indy, the Oasis, and then the NCL Getaway, I don't think I could sail a small ship. I like to have a lot of activities to choose from.

Thank you guys ! I have decided to save some $$$ and switch to Freedom. Same for us I told myself I will never sail a smaller ship than Indy (freedom class) we loved it so much and it was perfect for our family with two teens. We will eventually do Oasis class, I have a feeling when Symphony comes out to sail Harmony prices will drop like Oasis did this year. We are looking forward to Freedom! Thank you all I think that is what I wanted to hear lol ;)

Day 3 – “Zipping” through Labadee (cont)

It is enjoyable to have a drink out on the bow and watch whatever island we are heading to get closer and closer. Between the nice breeze, the sound of the ocean and otherwise peace and quiet it is very relaxing. I love the contrast of mountains right up against the beach – very scenic

33187360586_2941d761c9_b.jpg

33187361226_d1e300b254_b.jpg

A view of the front of Freedom from the bow. Not sure if there are any other nerdy sci-fi fans besides me that are reading through, but this view of Freedom has always reminded me of Dr. Who’s arch enemies – the Daleks… :-)

32384885954_66e1af130e_b.jpg

Does anyone else agree?

33338016772_1833ba04a6_b.jpg

It’s also interesting to observe the island residents going about their day. There are lots of fishing boats heading out this morning. I can only imagine what a ship the size of Freedom looks like to someone in a tiny fishing boat!

33072510842_4707096581_b.jpg

Almost there – just about time to head back in and get ready for breakfast

33072510402_50f3a36672_b.jpg

to be continued…

before heading in for breakfast, I had to get one last photo of the pilot boat which means we are very close!

33072512202_40f18e6673_b.jpg

As well as a couple more photos of the mountains. Might as well while I’m all the way up on the bow right? :-)

33072512762_f75d7c5333_b.jpg

33072513172_3d43dbb5c1_b.jpg

Our group of 5 all met for breakfast in the WJ, then got our stuff together and headed out. Don’t forget that you need to bring towels from the ship with you to Labadee – and bring them back with you also! We usually make sure we have them the night before so we can pack our beach bag ahead of time. It seems like sometimes they have a towel check-out down on Deck 1 on the way out and sometimes not, but for us it’s not consistent enough to trust.

Here are our plans for Labadee – three of the five of us are doing the zipline and the other two (including my wife) are laying at the beach all day. For me, I have always wanted to do the zipline, but between the cost and my wife’s not wanting to do it (and me not wanting to do it by myself), I haven’t in previous Labadee trips. This time, since our friends Monty & Sue were planning on doing it, I figured tagging along with them was my window to do it.

Our beach of choice on Labadee is Columbus Cove. It is the last one to get crowded, has great sun & shade options, and a great view of the mountains. It also has bathrooms and a lunch pavilion within steps, which is nice. Here we are off the ship and heading to Columbus Cove.

33100773411_f739f166c1_b.jpg

Set up shop at Columbus Cove beach. We got chairs right up near the water without having to be the first ones off the ship! There seem to always be four of us in our pictures and everyone volunteers to be the 5th person to take it and thus not have to be in it! :-)

33100772911_a2d9291b28_b.jpg

Here’s the old tender dock from before the permanent pier was built. The Pinta is present and accounted for, I wonder where the Nina and Santa Maria went to?

33100773141_34080c7aa3_b.jpg

to be continued…

I don't like sailing anything smaller that Voyager class. We did Serenade once but it had only one sea day and the rest were all southern Caribbean ports so it worked out ok. We were pretty tired at night from the day's activities in port. You and I would probably make good cruise buddies.... two nomads constantly in search of things to do.

Here’s the old tender dock from before the permanent pier was built. The Pinta is present and accounted for, I wonder where the Nina and Santa Maria went to?

to be continued…

We rode one of those tenders the first time that we visited Labadee. I really like having the pier there now.

Will be on the freedom next month for their TA and can't wait. Your review is helping out in a major way, would definitely like to keep seeing the menus, daily activities and shows. Great job! Also, how is the nightlife right now?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Glad to have you along and that my ramblings are helping! The one place I probably can't help is with the nightlife - we aren't usually up and around on ship after 11 or so... :)

Found the App. Thank you

Glad you found it! Have fun.

Apparently not. There are loads of other choices in the Google Play Store though. This one looks similar, but I haven't tried it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crazyapps.mobilelocationtracker&hl=en

I guess the one I used is iPhone only, but like you said, I'm sure there are plenty of similar ones on Google Play... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fletch, thanks for the link to the permanent shows. Looks good. I can't believe how early in the day the activities start. I will be doing alot of port visits, so will have early starts anyway but have two days on board and was hoping to sleep in.lol. Are the fitness classes free, like the fab abs and the stretching?

Enjoy the rest of the cruise. Loving the review.

So, we had around an hour at the beach before we had to head over for our scheduled time for the zipline. We got checked in and proceeded to sign the paperwork. With the exception of a home mortgage, that is the most I have ever signed and initialed my name on a bunch of paperwork! Who knows what rights I gave up, and if the zipline had snapped and I died, my wife may have owed them money for all I know… :-)

Anyway after the paperwork, watching a video, and a safety discussion, we suited up. These zipline harnesses were unique to me. They were designed like “bring your own seat”, and everyone looked like they were wearing big baggy diapers. :-)

They run everyone through a “practice run” before the real deal. It is on a raised platform on a hill near the beach. I guess it gives anyone a chance to chicken out because if they are nervous on this platform, they will be real nervous up on top of the mountain!

I thought it was cool because it was like getting a bonus ride. It also worked out well because it gave me a chance to practice with my GoPro on loan from a friend back home. The intent of the practice run was to demonstrate how to lean back in the seat to go faster, then sit up and cross your legs to slow down at the end.

Here are a couple of photos (actually screenshots from gopro video) of the practice run

32845962210_5372682453_b.jpg

32845962920_b9403ba1ce_b.jpg

32845963010_0a939ab890_b.jpg

After the practice run, the group loaded up in a pair of trucks for the drive up to the top of the mountain including Monty & Sue!

33072527342_e77ff1c417_b.jpg

Driving past Adrenaline Beach

33100774741_7474773e0c_b.jpg

Heading up the mountain road

33229046685_7ec2ea8c88_b.jpg

to be continued…

before heading in for breakfast, I had to get one last photo of the pilot boat which means we are very close!

33072512202_40f18e6673_b.jpg

As well as a couple more photos of the mountains. Might as well while I’m all the way up on the bow right? :-)

33072512762_f75d7c5333_b.jpg

33072513172_3d43dbb5c1_b.jpg

Our group of 5 all met for breakfast in the WJ, then got our stuff together and headed out. Don’t forget that you need to bring towels from the ship with you to Labadee – and bring them back with you also! We usually make sure we have them the night before so we can pack our beach bag ahead of time. It seems like sometimes they have a towel check-out down on Deck 1 on the way out and sometimes not, but for us it’s not consistent enough to trust.

Here are our plans for Labadee – three of the five of us are doing the zipline and the other two (including my wife) are laying at the beach all day. For me, I have always wanted to do the zipline, but between the cost and my wife’s not wanting to do it (and me not wanting to do it by myself), I haven’t in previous Labadee trips. This time, since our friends Monty & Sue were planning on doing it, I figured tagging along with them was my window to do it.

Our beach of choice on Labadee is Columbus Cove. It is the last one to get crowded, has great sun & shade options, and a great view of the mountains. It also has bathrooms and a lunch pavilion within steps, which is nice. Here we are off the ship and heading to Columbus Cove.

33100773411_f739f166c1_b.jpg

Set up shop at Columbus Cove beach. We got chairs right up near the water without having to be the first ones off the ship! There seem to always be four of us in our pictures and everyone volunteers to be the 5th person to take it and thus not have to be in it! :-)

33100772911_a2d9291b28_b.jpg

to be continued…

Funny, we were just in Coco Cay last Saturday on Enchantment of the Seas and saw Santa Maria and Nina. We wondered where Pinta was!! [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. After sailing the Indy, the Oasis, and then the NCL Getaway, I don't think I could sail a small ship. I like to have a lot of activities to choose from.

I don't like sailing anything smaller that Voyager class. We did Serenade once but it had only one sea day and the rest were all southern Caribbean ports so it worked out ok. We were pretty tired at night from the day's activities in port. You and I would probably make good cruise buddies.... two nomads constantly in search of things to do.

Seems like I'm not the only one that as a short attention span. Glad I'm not alone!! :D

Thank you guys ! I have decided to save some $$$ and switch to Freedom. Same for us I told myself I will never sail a smaller ship than Indy (freedom class) we loved it so much and it was perfect for our family with two teens. We will eventually do Oasis class, I have a feeling when Symphony comes out to sail Harmony prices will drop like Oasis did this year. We are looking forward to Freedom! Thank you all I think that is what I wanted to hear lol ;)

Choosing between the Freedom & Oasis is a good problem to have! You will love the 8 night itinerary!

Also, I agree with what you said. I would love to sail on Harmony, but I can wait on the slides until Symphony hopefully bumps down the price of Harmony next year... :)

As we climbed higher, there were a few places where we could see through the forest and catch a glimpse of the ship. Is that supposed to be a big ship? Looks small from up here! :-)

33229046995_32bf719012_b.jpg

Since we technically leave the Labadee “compound” to drive up the mountain, they have security hanging up at the top. This is also the top area where the coaster ride begins

33229047705_e77f4223d0_b.jpg

Everyone and their big diapers off the truck!!

33229048585_735288e0c4_b.jpg

There is a steel pedestrian bridge to cross to get to the platform. These guys are hauling buckets of the pulleys that connect our harness to the zipline. Pushing that cart uphill = no fun at all!

33229048105_9c3d45c3d8_b.jpg

Us with our baggy diapers heading over bridge to the big platform ahead. Also, the diapers to not offer any absorbency if the zipline is too scary! :-)

33229048725_620fd8dd04_b.jpg

33229049155_ce9ca5f783_b.jpg

to be continued…

As we climbed higher, there were a few places where we could see through the forest and catch a glimpse of the ship. Is that supposed to be a big ship? Looks small from up here! :-)

33229046995_32bf719012_b.jpg

Since we technically leave the Labadee “compound” to drive up the mountain, they have security hanging up at the top. This is also the top area where the coaster ride begins

33229047705_e77f4223d0_b.jpg

Everyone and their big diapers off the truck!!

33229048585_735288e0c4_b.jpg

There is a steel pedestrian bridge to cross to get to the platform. These guys are hauling buckets of the pulleys that connect our harness to the zipline. Pushing that cart uphill = no fun at all!

33229048105_9c3d45c3d8_b.jpg

Us with our baggy diapers heading over bridge to the big platform ahead. Also, the diapers to not offer any absorbency if the zipline is too scary! :-)

33229048725_620fd8dd04_b.jpg

33229049155_ce9ca5f783_b.jpg

to be continued…

Thanks for showing the zip line process. I'll be doing this in May and the info is great. Did you do the coaster too? I have that scheduled also. Thanks again.

Thanks for showing the zip line process. I'll be doing this in May and the info is great. Did you do the coaster too? I have that scheduled also. Thanks again.

Did not do the coaster this time - however, I did ride it with my DD on a previous Freedom cruise in 2014. Here's a link to that trip report and the page that Labadee is on:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1997232&page=3

From up here, Freedom looks like the model you can buy in the gift shop!

33229050545_80cdcdce30_b.jpg

On the platform, there is this big sign warning us to stay behind the red line of death without being clipped into the safety line.

33229074565_e669419a2b_b.jpg

I’ve always been known as a rule bender – I’m behind the line but not by much… :-)

33229050055_5376d7896c_b.jpg

There are five ziplines for riders plus a sixth one used to put the balls on for airplanes to see. Our group of five is next to go. Here’s another view looking over Adrenaline Beach towards Freedom

33229049275_c539f77daf_b.jpg

Our friends Monty & Sue are ready to go!

33229050605_40edeb8627_b.jpg

We are clipped on to the safety line and our group is up next after these five

33229050685_6eb921066d_b.jpg

to be continued...

32414014933_eba8ae1f2a_b.jpg

There they go so here we go out onto the loading area. To be honest, the zipline ride itself was not scary at all – it was a blast. The part that made me nervous was the walk out on the platform until I was all connected to the zipline itself. Yes we were connected to a safety line so that if we fell it would catch us, but that’s still the part that gets my nerves!

The rest of the photos in this post are also GoPro screenshots. I had a head mount for the GoPro which made it easy to use. I was a little nervous of it “blowing off” during the ride, but no worries, it was fine. There were also some that had GoPro’s on a stick with a wrist strap. They allow those but I liked having both hands free. Cool thing is I could record and pause with my Apple watch. How nerdy is that?? :-)

The view after being strapped in and ready to go. There was a good 2-3 minutes in this position while awaiting the “all clear” from the ground. Gave me a chance to enjoy the sights from up here!

33229074625_64df60c14b_b.jpg

and I’m off! I was in the middle of the five lines. Monty and Sue are to my right. She released them first because I was filming them so they had a good head start on me.

33229074745_d3ab9b7348_b.jpg

Getting closer to the bottom – I looked over to the left to be able to get some footage of the beach and the ship in the background. This zipline is known as the “world’s longest over water”

33229075265_278b7d5400_b.jpg

33229075315_27eebcf029_b.jpg

Coming in for a landing!

33229075615_8186363ff2_b.jpg

For anyone interested in watching the video I made (with music and everything!) :-), I posted it to YouTube and you can see the embedded version by clicking on the video below or you can click on the link underneath that to watch it on YouTube directly:

ZuHYNQ_tdpU

to be continued…