Alaska itinerary ???????????

midwestchick

The inside passage is scenic. However, we went in August last year and had fog the entire time, so didn't see

much of anything. Found out when we got home that mid-July to mid-Sept is prone to fog. Several years ago,

we did the exact same cruise in late May and had spectacular weather. As you know, though, weather is

always iffy anywhere!

I've researched Alaska cruises previously and knew about the fog and rainfall. That's why we chose the June 2 date. We're hoping we'll have fairly decent weather. May was not an option as we have a granddaughter graduating from high school and other May commitments.

My preference would be an itinerary with a visit to Hubbard Glacier AND a stop in Juneau - that way you are guaranteed to see at least one glacier (the Hubbard). In Juneau you could book an excursion where you would sail out of Juneau on a charter boat and approach Sawyer the same as described earlier. This is usually an all day excursion but it's so worth it. When we did it in May of 2013, we got as close to the face of the south Sawyer glacer as was safely possible and were able to see some calving, along with a TON of adorable seals. It remains one of my favourite cruise memories ever!

Juneau has its very own glacier, Mendenhall. Easily accessible via bus from the dock.

I have a 1:15 pick up for a whale watching excursion. Will we have time to do this too?

Depends on what time you dock. Perhaps you could book a later whale watch? Or an early one. Some whale watch providers will drop you at Mendenhall on the way back. You could then catch the bus back to the ship. It all depends on how much time you have in port.

One other thought. No idea what your itinerary is, but if you are calling at Icy Strait Point, the whale watching is generally better there. Early in June, not all the whales are back from Hawaii yet, so that's another issue.

Depends on what time you dock. Perhaps you could book a later whale watch? Or an early one. Some whale watch providers will drop you at Mendenhall on the way back. You could then catch the bus back to the ship. It all depends on how much time you have in port.

In port from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM. I'm cancelling my whale watching. I found a tour that does whale watching, Mendenhall Glacier and city tour for less money and it starts in the morning.