New York Immigration and rush hour

carlmm

Maybe some people might be able to help. With rules and regulations changing all the time: Can somebody tell me how much time immigration, baggage claiming and other procedures currently take at JFK airport in New York?

When I arrive by international flight at 11am on a Friday, at what time should I reserve a rental car?

Is there already a bad rush hour around that time on a Friday afternoon? I will have a couple of pre-cruise days I want to spent upstate. How much time will it take me to pass the New York City area?

Carl,

Don't pass through NYC.

Once you leave JFK, get onto Grand Central Parkway to the Triborough Bridge and follow signs to Cross Bronx Expressway and then NY State Thruway, which will take you upstate.

Look at mapquest or rent a car with GPS. (half of Hertz cars have them)

As far as Friday traffic out of the city, it really depends on time of year. Noon in the winter is probably not too busy, but if it's July or August, traffic can be really snarled.

Unfortunately, there's no way to gauge how long it'll take at the airport. If your flight is one of only a couple of international flights arrving at approx the same time, and if the baggage handlers are working quickly, you could be through it all in 15 minutes.

However, if many flights arrive at the same time, getting through immigration could be a half hour, and if the luggage handlers are busy, getting luggage could be another half hour.

Hope this is a bit helpful.

Jane

Carl we are on the same QM2 cruise together. Give yourself two hours for your car rental so that would be about 1PM. Lines at JFK customs will be long.

To connect to the Grand Central Parkway, You must take the Van wyck Expressway from the airport North to the (GCP) west over the triborough bridge as indicated, Traffic on the Van wyck will be heavy.

Contact me re further info lk4xits@aol.com. Advise me where upstate you wish to travel and I can give you additional directions.

Marty

NYC

Archived