Weather at Sea

Northernmiss

My DH and I will be joining the Noordam in Hawaii sailing to Vancouver on April 23. I am looking for any information regarding the weather we might expect during the Pacific crossing and any suggestions about what clothing to bring for the weather conditions. TIA.

My DH and I will be joining the Noordam in Hawaii sailing to Vancouver on April 23. I am looking for any information regarding the weather we might expect during the Pacific crossing and any suggestions about what clothing to bring for the weather conditions. TIA.

There is no way that anyone could predict the weather.. Even weathermen can't get it right..

I would take a few warm weather clothes & mostly clothes for rainy cold weather in April.. Be sure to have a raincoat & small umbrella with you plus a few sweaters.. IMO clothing which can be layered is best..You can always take off things if it's warm, but you can't always add to things if you are cold especially on a trans pacific cruise as the shops on board are limited..:cool: Suggest you do a search here on CC to see what others have experienced on their trans-pacific cruises..

No matter where I travel I always bring a set of silk underwear. Easy to pack and often just the right extra layer under what other items you packed for extra warmth. Keep in mind even in the tropics, the interior public rooms can be quite chilly due to the AC. For that I always pack a long cashmere shawl, easy to carry and wrap around anything else I am wearing that is more suitable for the warmer out door temperatures.

Silk and wool items which can be thin and summer weight are good back ups and fairly versatile even when the weather is changeable or you need to have "layers" to add or shed., and linen, wrinkly as it gets has become my now favorite, quick drying tropical choice. Same for men. Sobering note of caution when cruising is to always have at least full wool with wool socks combo, should there ever be a time one would have to abandon ship - wet wool is the best defense against the cold sea.

Personally I find anything with even 1% spandex is too hot, and anything polyester just does not work at all for me - either it is too hot or not warm enough. I pack only natural fabrics which can be quite wrinkle proof and shake out if they are long fiber weaves to start with. However, for special things to wear in the evening, all the fun polyester fabrics can really shine. (Literally too)

Generally the first two days and the last two days are the cool days. In the vicinity of Hawaii. it warms up fast.

We've done several Hawaii out of Vancouver in April (and San Diego) and this was the case every time.

Walking the deck those first and last days calls for a jacket, gloves, maybe a hood or hat as the wind can be very cold.

Lovely cruise, have a great time!

Generally the first two days and the last two days are the cool days. In the vicinity of Hawaii. it warms up fast.

We've done several Hawaii out of Vancouver in April (and San Diego) and this was the case every time.

Walking the deck those first and last days calls for a jacket, gloves, maybe a hood or hat as the wind can be very cold.

Lovely cruise, have a great time!

I fully agree. The only cool/ cold days on our San Diego - Hawaii were the 1st & 2nd days & the last 2 days to San Diego. The rest of the time I wore silk& linen blend slacks or cotton slacks. I usually wear 3/4 sleeve length tops & that was perfect. I did take 1 cardigan that I only wore or the flight from Baltimore.

Thank you for your replies. I couldn't find much about the trans-Pacific crossing, perhaps I didn't search the right places. I know the weather is very unpredictable but I really appreciate the advice to bring a warm jacket, gloves and hat and rain gear etc. for enjoying our walks on deck. Our focus has been mostly on clothing for Hawaii but I will search for some silk underthings too.

Check out: https://www.windytv.com/?temp,29.075,-148.096,4

Current air temps on your route. Click a spot for current temp (and little X to clear). Note that the first couple hundred miles are in the 70's and the yellowish temps are mid-50's. It will get cool fast. Air temps will follow closely with sea surface temps. The slider at the right can also show waves and other conditions. NOTE: there is sometimes a second slider at the bottom for altitude. Cruise ships use the surface setting (you hope:eek:).

For storms and waves the surface charts from the Ocean Prediction Center are handy. Check out the 24,48,96 charts for forecasted conditions.