When did NCL remove Miami as a port for New York to Florida and Bahamas itineraries?

frostrambler

When I was a kid, I sailed on from NYC on the Dawn when that was her homeport. I distinctly remember in 2003 and 2004 I took the dawn for an 8 day (Sun to Sun) cruise to the Bahamas and Florida. We stopped in Port Canaveral, Miami, Nassau and NCL's private island and I think had 3 sea days.

Now as an adult, I've taken the NCL Breakaway out of NY to the Carribean and Bermuda, but decided to take the old Florida / Bahamas route - and in fact I will be on the ship on April 2nd! However when booking the ship a few months ago, I noticed that instead of Miami, we now have an extra sea day - why? I remember Miami was very fun on the Dawn and am wondering why the breakaway doesn't go there - is it because the ship is much larger? Does the Gem or Jewel (I forgot the other NCL ship that home ports in NYC) go there? Surprised that its no longer a port on the journey.

We last sailed the Dawn out of NYC in 2005, and Miami was still 1 of the 4 port stops for our 7 days on our run - it was not on some of the other sailings that year ... supposingly, getting too crowded & not enough berth during the busy months. There're more changes in 2006 and 2007 - we did Bermuda on the Crown then, ships were doing 6 and 8 days making it as far as the Caribbeans.

Not 100% sure, but Miami was gradually phrased out for ships sailing out of NYC - when we did the Jewel on 2011, it was definitely gone for good. Found a copy of our NCL booking confirmation for 2005 and both Canaveral & Miami was listed along with GSC - which of course, was even more tricky then as a tender stop.

This - http://www.frommers.com/tips/cruise/whos-cruising-from-the-big-apple-to-the-caribbean-bahamas-and-bermuda-in-2006-and-2007