Onboard shopping questions

Underway53

I see on the website, Carnival advertises you can buy bottles of alcohol for up to 50% off of shore prices and the bottles are bigger. But when I looked through the gifts you can purchase pre cruising, they were up to triple! Is that because they will be delivering them? Can I buy booze cheap on board? What gives?

I also see where they sell watches and jewelry. Are these real pieces or knock off Chinese junk?

Thanks!

What you buy on the ship in the stores is different than what you see on line. The on line prices you see are prebuying to have it in your room. They mark this up A LOT to make up for what you are not buying at the bar.

What you buy on board in the shops is "held" for you and you can not take it back to your room. You have to collect it at the end of the cruise. Same applies if you buy alcohol in port, you have to check it (they will stop you) when you are reboarding the ship and they will hold this for you too until the end of the cruise. Booze on board is comprable to an average bar at home. A mixed drink is like $7-$9 each... or you can look into the Cheers program (which works out to be cheaper if you drink a lot), but everyone in your room must buy this.

The jewerly on board sold is a lot of name brand stuff you would see back home, not junk. They have Effey, specialty diamonds, etc., name brand watches, etc. There are "high end" pieces to be had too. In my opinion watches are better priced than at home, jewelry maybe not so much. Unless you fancy one of their "special" sale pieces that are discount priced. These can be a good deal.

On buying anything, such as jewerly and liquor, keep your customs allowances in mind or you may be paying duty when you get home! For US it is 1 bottle of liquor, 1 carton cigarettes (these are REALLY cheap on board), and $800 per peron.

Edited by wemjam

One thing you might check out is the "liquor tasting night" It can get a bit crazy and crowded, but they do have a lot of samples out of different things to taste and try. They give you a little sip in a little cup (like pill cups). You can check out new flavors and things you haven't had before this way and see what sale prices they might have on things to buy if you want to take anything home. Price are VERY good on board if you have the means to get it home and don't mind collecting it before getting off the ship. We used to buy all the time, when they used to deliver it to you the last night in the evening right to your room. Now you have to get up early the moring you get into port and collect it yourself at a meeting point on the ship, for me personnally not worth the 50% savings for the aggravation. ;p

Also, keep your eyes out for the daily drink specials to save a little bit... they discount certain things and you can buy them cheaper than full price. Also, if you drink beer, I beleive they do a "bucket" special which makes it cheaper (not a beer drinker. but have seen this).

Be prepared to be in a mob if you go to tasting night though! LoL!

Ok. Thanks! Didn't realize I couldn't drink it onboard. First timer. I don't know that I'd get my money's worth out of the cheers card. Guess I'll buy drinks as I go.

You can bring 1 750 ml or wine or champagne per adult over 21 (I don't know if there is a limit on the alcohol content.). Directly from the Carnival website: "Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage."

The Cheers program is $49.95/pp + 15% gratuity/day for each person in cabin over 21.

If you and your travel mate are both over 21 and you will drink more than 6 drinks/day it will be worth it.

That $50/day is a lot, and I can't see me drinking that much, but some have boasted of hitting the drinking limit- 15 alcoholic drinks/24 hr period.

There is the "Definitive Cheers" post in the first few pages of this forum if you want more specific info (I never bought it so I'm not much help). Also, here is the Cheers link on Carnival. https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/related/1

Happy cruising!

I will add too the above the onboard prices are really good. I was debating if I really needed to bring my clothes home-darn custom allowances! :) here are a few pictures of the prices from our cruise a few weeks ago2ce70d5611b04a3a7fd3539796b9c13a.jpgdd2b8de4d35f49627a6852f3b0106399.jpgef8ccaba95ed3f7ee5b3d66df1798518.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums