Misty Fjords: Floatplane/Boat Combo or just Floatplane

va2wa

We are planning to do the floatplane with Island Wings to see Misty Fjords (yes I know from many threads that Island Wings/Michelle is fantastic). What I want to know is if anyone sees an advantage to doing the floatplane one way and boat the other way. This might be a newer excursion/tour offering, but I'm thinking the views might be awesome from the water too. Has anyone done the combo and loved it or did they prefer the floatplane portion? Any pictures of your views would be awesome too!! Thanks!

IMHO the boat portion is a real bore and a waste of time. The boat is high speed, a long way from the protected "wilderness", and there is only one thing to see enroute to/return from the misty fjords: Stick with the plane both ways unless you have a book that you would like to read during the boat portion.

P9220773.jpg

It is not a new excursion. I did this several years ago. I was not a fan of the flight (made me sort of feel sick) but I have to agree that the views are better from the plane. There is just one small portion of the boat ride that is really good, the rest is similar to what you see sailing into and out of Ketchikan.