Question on lower prices after final payment

Hot Hockett

I just learned the prices for my cruise on the Elation on 12/17/05 has been reduced from when I booked.

I called Carnival and they indcated that the price was now $150 less, but they could not provide the lower cost because my final payment had been made and my cabin was assigned.

Is this normal or should I speak with a manager?

, but they could not provide the lower cost because my final payment had been made and my cabin was assigned

As Tef noted, they aren't required to do anything. But you can ask them for "cabin credit". They don't have to give you anything...but they might give you something. It won't be $150, though.

Just as an FYI.

If the ship is not fully booked after what would be considered "Final Payment" date, cruiselines will offer special pricing for "New Bookings Only" so they can fill the ship.

No sense in sail a ship with empty cabins.

Guess that is why you get the "last minute deals":)

I just never considered that they didn't give credit to existing customers if they asked.

I understand why they do it, but feel it is not a great way to treat a customer. To know that I paid more than the existing published rate does not give me "good feelings" towards Carnival. I guess procrastination pays. If everyone waited until the last minute, I bet Carnival would change that policy:cool:

If the rate goes down before the product is transferred to the buyer, I feel that a credit is equitable if the customer takes the effort to follow-up on the pricing.

Guess when I am president of Carnival, I can make that change:eek: :eek:

I guess procrastination pays

Not always. The cheapest available cabin on my forthcoming Liberty cruise has more than doubled in price since I booked. But, as I said earlier, contact whoever you booked your cruise through and ask for "credit" on your S&S account

I just never considered that they didn't give credit to existing customers if they asked.
Let's think about this logically for a moment. Where else are you price-protected for such a long period of time? If you bought a car today, and next week the dealer rolled out a bucketfull of incentives, do you think you would be entitled to them?

Or the inverse, if Carnival raised the price, do you think they should adjust your fare upward? Hint: Although it is hardly ever enforced, the provision does exist in your cruise passage contract.

Or the inverse, if Carnival raised the price, do you think they should adjust your fare upward? Hint: Although it is hardly ever enforced, the provision does exist in your cruise passage contract.

Oh, can you imagine the uproar if they did enforce that? :eek: Conspiracy theorists, UNITE!:p

Well, they can and they will if it suits them at the time. They did exactly that to us, though not in quite the same sense as your post infers. After Katrina hit, we were told that our cruise from NOLA on Sensation was cancelled. However, if we wanted to take a cruise with the exact same intinerary, on the exact same days, but out of Galvestion, we could surely do so. However, the cost would be $175 more pp because we booked our Sensation cruise at a much earlier time.

Let's think about this logically for a moment. Where else are you price-protected for such a long period of time? If you bought a car today, and next week the dealer rolled out a bucketfull of incentives, do you think you would be entitled to them?

The difference is that you take posession of a new car and obviuosly are not entitled to lower prices after the product has changed hands.

A cruise is just a contract for services at a future date. I still think an argument can be made that adjustments are equitable since the "value" of the cruise" (which has not been transferred yet) is actually the going published rate at that time. The crusie lines have the authority to adjust that value at any time.

The cruise line needs people to book early so they can manage capacity. Their policies should also encourage that behavior.

Anyway, I am just arguing to make a point. I see both sides.

It doesn't really matter anyway because Carnival called today and said they were crediting my card $150. I sent an email to my Carnival rep and Bob Dickinson last night, so I guess one of them listened. I honestly believe that it was Bob because my return receipt showed he opened my email this morning and I have still not seen one from the rep!

I appreciate Carnival's willingness to listen to the customer and will send another email to that effect!

We received a full refund, not cabin credit, of the price difference four weeks before sailing on the Conquest through our PVP.

That price adjustment was $160.00 (after moving to an 8A room)

Prior to that, the rates went down and we moved from a 4a to a 6a and still received another refund, this time of $240.00.

I think it might just depend on your PVP and perhaps on the sailing. I know they aren't required to do it, but sometimes they do do it.

Archived