Boston Port

KiriSue

Got a cruise to New England scheduled in Sept 2017. Boston is first port. Does anyone know if there are taxi's or tours that come close to the port or at the end of the pier? My daughter and grandson want to go the Aquarium. Thanks for any answers or suggestions. Kiri

Got a cruise to New England scheduled in Sept 2017. Boston is first port. Does anyone know if there are taxi's or tours that come close to the port or at the end of the pier? My daughter and grandson want to go the Aquarium. Thanks for any answers or suggestions. Kiri

Yep there are, and Uber or Lyft are additional options of course. We were at that port just last week on an RCI cruise. We actually paid for a shuttle service through RCI. Got us from the ship to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market which is very close to the Aquarium. A possible option Carnival may offer as an "excursion' similar to what RCI did?

I am actually from the area, there are several things you could do with the kiddos that won't interfere with your cruise. The biggest shopping district by far is Faneuil Hall, which is sort of like our Times Square. Then there are the Duckboat tours, which are one of the things we are known for. You could also take the kids to the Boston Museum Of Science, which they will love.

Yes, we do have two low-cost taxi companies around here: Lyft and Uber if you need them.

We also have a large theater district around here, but I doubt you'll be here long enough to see a production.

I too live in the Boston area, and depending on the age of your grandson the Children's Museum may be a good option as well. You also can't go wrong with the Museum of Science. We are members there and enjoy going several times a year.

There are definitely taxis in the area when cruise ships are in town. I would highly suggest taking a taxi or an uber or lyft car to the aquarium. There you can also get on the duck boats for an 80 - 90 minute tour of Boston (lots of fun and you might get to drive the duck).

Carnival charges you $79.99 for an adult and $59.99 for a child for the duck tour. If you book directly with http://www.bostonducktours.com it will only cost you $39.50 for an adult an $27 for children ages 3 to 11. With the ticket you also get a $3 discount of your New England Aquarium ticket.

Aquarium tickets (not including IMAX theatre) are $27.95 for an adult and $18.95 for a child. The Aquarium/IMAX combo is $32.95 for an adult and $23.95 for a child.

Fanueil Hall is okay, mostly shops and restaurants - not a lot for children to do.

The Children's Museum is about a 5 minute ride from the port and has fun things to do for younger children (not sure how old your grandchildren are).

Science Museum is another fun place for kids and there are also duck boat tours outside of that also.

If you are sports enthusiast, taking a tour of Fenway Park is a highlight and it being September, there might actually be a game going on that day.

We decided against the aquarium because of the timing on our sailing. We're scheduled to arrive in Boston at 2 and I believe the aquarium closes at 6. By the time we got off the ship, got a cab, etc, I don't feel it's worth the admission. The children's museum is closed that day.

We're planning to do a duck boat and Fanueil Hall/Quincy Marketplace with my 4 yr old, though I am considering the Science Museum.

There is a trolley pass too that you can hop off and on the trolley all day in different parts of the city, Back Bay, Aquarium area, etc.

Do you have any idea of the price? And is it easy to get the trolley to get BACK to the ship? On time?! :eek::eek:

For a 4 year old skip Quincy Market. Instead go to the Public Garden and visit the Make Way for Ducklings sculptures and take a ride on the Swan Boats. From the ship take the Silver Line to South Station change to the Red Line to Park Street . At Park Street take any Green Line to Arlington street. You'll be easy walking distance to the Swan Boats. You will also be near Cheers and the Esplanade.

We decided against the aquarium because of the timing on our sailing. We're scheduled to arrive in Boston at 2 and I believe the aquarium closes at 6. By the time we got off the ship, got a cab, etc, I don't feel it's worth the admission. The children's museum is closed that day.

We're planning to do a duck boat and Fanueil Hall/Quincy Marketplace with my 4 yr old, though I am considering the Science Museum.

What exact date will you be in Boston? The Children's Museum is supposed to be closed only on Christmas and New Years.

Do you have any idea of the price? And is it easy to get the trolley to get BACK to the ship? On time?! :eek::eek:

I could look up the price but considering your timing I don't think it's the best idea. It wouldn't go to the pier but would go by the Aquarium area. The aquarium is only 12 minutes from the pier (assuming you are gonna be at Black Falcon Pier). Honestly you could go there and spend 2 hours and be done. Based on your timing I'd probably stick with that area anyhow (Fanueil Hall and aquarium).

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions. I would put together a plan A, B, C, etc. it looks like you will be there on Sunday Sep 3 in the middle of Labor Day weekend.

The Aquarium is open until 6 pm, so plenty of time to do that even with a 2 pm arrival. Faneuil Hall and the Noth End are right there, so after the Aquarium your daughter could take the 4 year old to ride the Carousel (http://www.rosekennedygreenway.org/visit/greenway-carousel/) and enjoy the playground in Christopher Columbus Park (http://northendwaterfront.com/2016/05/playground-christopher-columbus-park-ready-season/) while the adults check out Faneuil Hall or the North End.

We love that park with our grandchildren. Last 4th of July.we let the 2, 7, and 10 year old run off steam in the playground while the adults just chilled.

I could look up the price but considering your timing I don't think it's the best idea. It wouldn't go to the pier but would go by the Aquarium area. The aquarium is only 12 minutes from the pier (assuming you are gonna be at Black Falcon Pier). Honestly you could go there and spend 2 hours and be done. Based on your timing I'd probably stick with that area anyhow (Fanueil Hall and aquarium).

Thanks, good info for the OP, but I am not her lol. :confused: Was just wondering about the HOHO trolley. Price and is it easy to get BACK to the ship if you have hopped OFF and have to hop ON!? :o

Thanks, good info for the OP, but I am not her lol. :confused: Was just wondering about the HOHO trolley. Price and is it easy to get BACK to the ship if you have hopped OFF and have to hop ON!? :o

You need to look at the map in this brochure - https://www.trolleytours.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/boston-brochure.pdf

What exact date are you doing this? What are your port times?

The Old Town Trolley that picks up and drops off at Black Falcon is an extra loop that is not part of the main loop. If you get on at Black Falcon you will go to Stop 1 to get on the main loop. You must go back to Stop 1 to connect again with the Black Falcon Trolley, so you have to leave extra time to do this.