Notice re: 5-Day Elation out of Galveston - It's Official

4yanx

... I've wanted to see Uxmal since I was about 10 years old ...

Just out of curiosity...What is it about Uxmal that sparked your interest at that early age? Maybe it'll convince me that I really want to ride for 5 hours in a tour bus on a port day. :D Seriously, though, I like Mayan ruins and I've been to Altun Ha in Belize and enjoyed it, so I think I'd like to see ruins in Progreso, but that's just so long!

I was told that we would have to wait to book excursions on board. because the times have changed, and they don't match the listed one's. We would also like to do the ATV's

Luanne

Luannne:

I will speak specifically to you because I know you are on the same cruise as me (we should hook up for libations). I called Carnival twice and was told that they will definitiely be offering the shore excursions that they generally offer for Cozumel (I suppose only those that are still there) and Progreso (though they don't stop there normally any longer). While one can go to the Carnival site and look under shore excursion descriptions for these ports under "Western Carib", Carnival WILL NOT be allowing advance bookings and all reservations will be made ON BOARD ONLY. I asked specifically if this might change and was told NO that it was too much of a hassle for everyone (read Carnival) to change the website temporarily for these cruises affected by Wlima, only to change it back later. To the extent this can be accepted (things have changed in spite of asssurances before) you will only be able to book onboard for CARNIVAL excursions. Other vendor tours, of course, are available.

ATVs in Progreso? How do I get more information on that? Are they just available on the pier?

It is an excursion you can book through Carnival. I don't know anything about it beside that it was quite popular when I was there in September and that it is likely to sell out fast, so you might want to book quickly if you are interested in that! You can see the details that Carnival has posted in the link posted earlier in this thread by tack42. You will get a definitive list of all the excursions offered once you are onboard. Talk to the people at the Shore Excursions desk there and they can tell you everything. Have a great time!

Tom: I am much obliged for that link. I've wanted to see Uxmal since I was about 10 years old (they could have built several more pyramids since then), so I am hoping the rest will choose this over Chichen Itza.

I'll be on Elation 12/12 and maybe when I get back I'll remeber to post for you what was available.

Anyplace is fine and fun.

C'ya Tom:D

This must affect only Monday sailings. We're booked on the Elation sailing on Saturday 12/31/05. Both the website and Carnival's customer service staff have repeatedly assured me that our destination would be Coz and Calica with the extended stay in Coz till 10:00 PM.

However, I thought I would put this information to the test by attempting to book a shore excursion online. When I pulled up the choices for Coz, a red "BOOK NOW" button appeared to the right of the excursion. I clicked on this and was taken to a booking screen listing all passengers and was able to create an online booking.

Still no guarantee that things won't change, but it's strong evidence that they will maintain the posted itinerary.

And, to possibly confuse matters further for Monday sailers (for whom this thread was originally intended, BTW), I was told that while you can go into the Carnival website (as RakishNick has done for a non-Monday cruise) and book shore excurison to Cozumel (except we will be stopping there on a different day) and Calica (where we are not stopping at all), these will all be cancelled once you board the ship and you must then re-book on the excursions available at time of sailing. This includes excursions you may have already booked previously. In other words, NO ONE will have any Carnival-sponsored excursion reserved when boarding the 12/12 or 12/26 cruise on Elation out of Galveston.

I would love to go to Playa de carmen because we still have an excursion for there. I was told like you, that it would be cancelled once we boarded. I have just tried not to worry about it anymore. I have booked and then cancelled for two months now, and the thought of it, gives me a headache.:) We could have booked the ATV's but they are all set at the old time, and will not be back to the ship, until after it is suppose to leave. Be careful booking non Carnival, because they are still changing the times. I will need more than one Foo Foo drink before I stand in line with 2000 other poor souls for excursions.:)

Luanne

I would love to go to Playa de carmen because we still have an excursion for there. I was told like you, that it would be cancelled once we boarded. I have just tried not to worry about it anymore. I have booked and then cancelled for two months now, and the thought of it, gives me a headache.:) We could have booked the ATV's but they are all set at the old time, and will not be back to the ship, until after it is suppose to leave. Be careful booking non Carnival, because they are still changing the times. I will need more than one Foo Foo drink before I stand in line with 2000 other poor souls for excursions.:)

Luanne

I hear thee!

The one Carnival rep kept telling me that I could book as soon as I got into my cabin using my TV. I indicated that I had been told that this service does not exist on Elation, but she claimed that it did. I will believe folks here since most seem to know a lot more than most all of the various Carnival reps to whom I have spoken. I hope that they at least have the excursion desk open for booking upon arrival on the ship and not waiting until after 5pm as it seems they have done in the past.

I may be mistaken, but i didn't see anywhere to sign up for excursions via the TV. I would tend to agree that this probably only available on the newer, bigger ships?

Since they changed our ports after we set sail, we didn't do any excursions (none of the ones offered appealed to us) We did have some plans for Cozumel, but since our ship itinerary changed, we didn't go there.

Good Luck,

Mike

This will be my first time on Eation, but on the Ecstasy, it was not available on the TV. We are lucky that this will be our second cruise that week, and we have some good excursions for that cruise, but I predict that this will be a mess with everyone trying at once to book, and a lot of angry people. I would love to get together with you. Where and when?

Archived