NCL Getaway vs. RCI Rhapsody vs. RCI Allure?

moriarty00

Hey, all. I'm trying to plan a cruise and I hope you can help me pick a ship.

I'm working on getting a group of friends in our 30s together. Our date is fixed for a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise next winter, and the options for that date are the NCL Getaway, the Rhapsody of the Seas, and the Allure of the Seas.

We're a pretty cost-conscious low-budget group. I think I'm the only one who has been on a cruise before as an adult, and it was on a Princess ship (which I don't think we can afford this time). We are singles and couples and maybe a toddler or two; no older kids. Some people probably want to dance later at night, but I and some others prefer quieter music or games or less participatory entertainment. I think our priorities are on-board entertainment, food that doesn't cost extra (especially vegetarian food), and good options at port. Also, it would be great to put 3 in a room and not feel THAT cramped (comfortable pullman/sofa beds, etc).

As far as I can tell, the main drawback to the Rhapsody is that it's a smaller ship that will perhaps be less fun on-board, the problem with the Allure is that they only make 3 stops instead of 4 (no Belize stop like the others), and the problem with the Getaway (which I think is my current top choice) is a crowded pool deck. It seems like for comparable rooms, the Rhapsody is the cheapest, the Getaway in the middle (though as cheap as the Rhapsody for some rooms if I get an Expedia deal), and the ALlure the most expensive.

Any suggestions? In particular about how much the newbies might enjoy each ship without spending extra? Thanks!

Hey, all. I'm trying to plan a cruise and I hope you can help me pick a ship.

I'm working on getting a group of friends in our 30s together. Our date is fixed for a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise next winter, and the options for that date are the NCL Getaway, the Rhapsody of the Seas, and the Allure of the Seas.

We're a pretty cost-conscious low-budget group. I think I'm the only one who has been on a cruise before as an adult, and it was on a Princess ship (which I don't think we can afford this time). We are singles and couples and maybe a toddler or two; no older kids. Some people probably want to dance later at night, but I and some others prefer quieter music or games or less participatory entertainment. I think our priorities are on-board entertainment, food that doesn't cost extra (especially vegetarian food), and good options at port. Also, it would be great to put 3 in a room and not feel THAT cramped (comfortable pullman/sofa beds, etc).

As far as I can tell, the main drawback to the Rhapsody is that it's a smaller ship that will perhaps be less fun on-board, the problem with the Allure is that they only make 3 stops instead of 4 (no Belize stop like the others), and the problem with the Getaway (which I think is my current top choice) is a crowded pool deck. It seems like for comparable rooms, the Rhapsody is the cheapest, the Getaway in the middle (though as cheap as the Rhapsody for some rooms if I get an Expedia deal), and the ALlure the most expensive.

Any suggestions? In particular about how much the newbies might enjoy each ship without spending extra? Thanks!

For people who have never cruised . They really won't know the difference in ships.

You also may want to consider meals. Do you want to east together every night? You may prefer RCL to get a set dining were you can sit together for every meal. If you like the freestyle concept with the choice to split up by groups to eat or eat all together, NCL may be best. You could always do one or two nice meals at a specialty restaurant and then split into friend groups, couples, etc. for the other nights. Or if you split up for excursions, meeting up every night for dinner to debrief and reconvene could be nice too!

My vote would be Getaway for the extra port, the medium price, and nightlife/entertainment/dancing. However, I don't care to swim much on cruises and am perfectly content lounging in the sun on a deck without the pool. Those who like to swim may not like the Getaway. It's important to note that most cruise pools are saltwater, remind the new cruisers of that!