Viking Rhine Getaway & Castles?

Cruiseoholic000

There is a stretch on the Rhine that has numeurous castles in various stages of repair (I am saying that as one of the first "reviews" I read about the castles was from someone who was upset as some of them were ruins!). If you do a search for Rhine cruises in this forum, you can find reviews with lots of pictures to show what is available. Right now, awcmom has a review that she is writing up for a cruise she just came back from : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2479562

The Viking Rhine Getaway is indeed a good itinerary to see many castles. Daisi has already mentioned acwmom's review of her cruise (not with Viking) with lots of amazing photos. The itineraries from Amsterdam to Basel or vice versa are similar to one another - unless they incorporate the Moselle and even then the ports are mostly the same - and all those itineraries go through the stretch of river with all the castles. I explained that river stretch a bit in my post # 66 in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2447516&page=4

So you do not have to go with Viking to see the castles, but if you go with Viking I think this is the best itinerary, although there is a new one out that goes Paris to Basel. On this itinerary you will also see the castles from the river. You would need to compare them to see how they differ in their "visit-a-castle" experience.

notamermaid