Buying Premium Drink With Classic Package

colingu

As of May, this was my experience with having the classic package:

The 'pay the difference' for a drink that was over the limit for the classic package was implemented on ships fleetwide in 2017 ... on the Solstice, it was put into effect in April. It was a staggered implementation.

The price limits for the classic package have also been raised and you can now get any drink up to $9.

Along with raising the limits for the classic package, they have also raised the price of some drinks. The menus with pricing were being changed mid-cruise during May on the Solstice. That really didn't create a problem for us, though.

The pay the upcharge policy was NOT IN EFFECT IN ALL BARS ... thus, in some bars, you were required to pay the entire cost of the drink if you had the classic package. I know for a fact that you weren't allowed to only pay the difference of the drink up at the pool bar ... not sure about the martini bar but of note, they ONLY had the larger glasses available at the martini bar so all martinis were the larger ones and were over the $9 limit. I could swear we were told that the martini bar was just as the pool bar ... no upcharge only ... you pay for the entire drink. Since we hadn't gone there, we can't validate this one way or another. The bars where it is was definitely in effect were the Ensemble Lounge, the Passport Bar, Cafe Al Bacio and the dining room....maybe Cellar Masters, too but can't be sure as my favorite was available on the Classic Package.

There were a few beers that have been moved over the $9 limit. One that my DH liked was $10, so we only paid $1.18 when he had one of those. Some of the wines I liked were a few dollars more than the limit and never minded paying the upcharge ... so much better for us than paying for the upgrade to the next package or the full price of the drink.

And for the post that asked about Prosecco, yes, there is one that is included in the classic package. My neighbor is a huge Prosecco fan and she didn't like it at all, though. I always thought it was ok mixed into a mimosa, though ...