Cuba Overnight on Empress of the Seas

:DJust came back to Tampa on July 1st from Cuba. It was first time RCCL did an overnight in Cuba. The cruise was fantastic from start to finish. The ship was the smallest in fleet only 1600 passengers. The food was better than most. We have taken 15 + cruises on different lines. Shout out to Fernando and Cesar table 533. They couldn't do enough for us in the dining room.

We never changed our US dollars to Kooks their Cuban dollars. Found wherever we went in Havana they took the US dollars with a small amount over the amount asked for.

We did the three hour highlights of Havana bus tour on the second day with the cruise line. It had a bathroom on the bus and the bus was New with a/c. We saw a lot and Elio Cordero our guide spoke perfect English.

He spoke a little about the government but nothing crazy. Raul Castro will be retiring in February and no one knows who will govern.

People here make 20 month on average and the most 30 month as a doctor or lawyer. This is all government controlled. They get free education so their graduation rate is like 99%. Medical is free. Every family gets rice ration so no one is hungry. You don't have to join the communist party. Cubans study English in school.

We found everyone we spoke to very friendly.

We did venture across the street from terminal to the square and hired a horse and buggy to do a one hour tour around Havana. It was very enjoyable. The driver spoke very openly about the country once we were on our way. There is a new Havana section which is connected by an underwater tunnel. There are high rise buildings there. Much of the older buildings are in disrepair because money isn't going to the infrastructure.

Hopefully with a new leader things will improve. From what the people we met said they don't want big companies to come. They want to be able to start a small business which they can own and operate without the government interfering.

Right now there are few of these restaurants

The old cars pay 600 dollars a month to the government for their licenses. That's why they charge so much for their services.

If you can go see Cuba soon. The people will embrace you. It's like stepping back in time.

Thank you for your post. We're heading there next June. I'm a little confused about the visa process - the 12 reasons you can go there. Not sure what to put down for that. I guess I'll figure it out eventually!

I too was on this cruise as a single. Loved the small ship easy to get around to everything. Crew was Outstanding.

Day one in Cuba I just got off the ship and spend the afternoon walking around seeing the sites and getting caught in a rain storm found a great bar to wait it out.

The local bars and restaurants where great and I meet some locals and had a nice chat with them about living in Cuba. They are proud people who love there country.

Day two. Had arrange a tour through a private company for 8 hours and it was a super tour seeing and learning about all the sites. Lunch was at a private home on there roof top garden with an outstanding view of the city. After lunch the 10 of us had 3 more hours in classic cars touring around the city.

What a day.

Glad I got to Cuba now.

Sorry about hijacking this post.

:DJust came back to Tampa on July 1st from Cuba. It was first time RCCL did an overnight in Cuba. The cruise was fantastic from start to finish. The ship was the smallest in fleet only 1600 passengers. The food was better than most. We have taken 15 + cruises on different lines. Shout out to Fernando and Cesar table 533. They couldn't do enough for us in the dining room.

We never changed our US dollars to Kooks their Cuban dollars. Found wherever we went in Havana they took the US dollars with a small amount over the amount asked for.

We did the three hour highlights of Havana bus tour on the second day with the cruise line. It had a bathroom on the bus and the bus was New with a/c. We saw a lot and Elio Cordero our guide spoke perfect English.

He spoke a little about the government but nothing crazy. Raul Castro will be retiring in February and no one knows who will govern.

People here make 20 month on average and the most 30 month as a doctor or lawyer. This is all government controlled. They get free education so their graduation rate is like 99%. Medical is free. Every family gets rice ration so no one is hungry. You don't have to join the communist party. Cubans study English in school.

We found everyone we spoke to very friendly.

We did venture across the street from terminal to the square and hired a horse and buggy to do a one hour tour around Havana. It was very enjoyable. The driver spoke very openly about the country once we were on our way. There is a new Havana section which is connected by an underwater tunnel. There are high rise buildings there. Much of the older buildings are in disrepair because money isn't going to the infrastructure.

Hopefully with a new leader things will improve. From what the people we met said they don't want big companies to come. They want to be able to start a small business which they can own and operate without the government interfering.

Right now there are few of these restaurants

The old cars pay 600 dollars a month to the government for their licenses. That's why they charge so much for their services.

If you can go see Cuba soon. The people will embrace you. It's like stepping back in time.

Wife & I going on Empress in October and concerned about being able to walk around town on own because new Trump rules may be in place by then? Will shlp block us for going on /off? Do the excurisions from ship care if hou leave a tour at end and go on your own back to ship?

Edited by Medfield98
errors

Hi and thank you for your review. I was a little concerned about the ship as I have never sailed on RCCL before. So this is good news about the crew and service. I will be going on the Empress on the 24th of this month. I am very excited as going to Cuba is a dream vacation for me. Thank You!

Linda