Is Island Princess really that bad??

dg33

I double-checked on the back of the patters. There was only one time slot for TD early, and it was at 5:15 pm. :)

Darn... not surprised I guess with only two DR's. But the booking engine offers two early times (maybe they have to do that for all ships and not just the bigger ones with 3 DR's). Oh well. That time is just a little too early. Thanks. I will double-check with a HW during my BVE - in case it changed.

Darn... not surprised I guess with only two DR's. But the booking engine offers two early times (maybe they have to do that for all ships and not just the bigger ones with 3 DR's). Oh well. That time is just a little too early. Thanks. I will double-check with a HW during my BVE - in case it changed.

Sounds like a plan. It's been 10 months since we were on the Island, so it might have changed.

I'm wondering that if enough people complain about anytime dining waits, and with the club class dining, that they might go back to all traditional dining, like the Pacific Princess. Probably not, but it does make one think. It's probably easier on the waitstaff too.

FWIW - we were on the Island for an August 30th NB to Alaska. I can see if you are the type of cruiser who likes a lot of options on a ship, that this would most likely not be the one for you. That being said, we had a great cruise and the service was unfailingly good to even stellar. We didn't go to the shows, so I can't speak to that issue. The only time we felt things were crowded was in the early evening trying to get a seat for a drink at Crooner's.

We had a club class mini on the Caribe deck, and it was very tired with an extremely small balcony, but even that didn't deter us. Maybe it was because we were more focused on where we were cruising and less on the ship. I wouldn't seek the Island out as my favorite ship, but if the itinerary and sailing dates aligned with what I needed, I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again. But, as we all know, cruising is an intensely personal experience and what didn't bother me could be a deal-breaker for you.