Taco Palapa at Maya Chan vs. Blue Kay and picky eaters

BlueSkiesTX

We waited a little long to book at Maya Chan so they offered us the "Taco Palapa". We currently have it on hold. It is apparently across from the dining area away from the beach and near the Tree House. We spend most of our beach time with our kiddos in the water or at the water's edge. I don't see us actually using the palapa at all. Would it be a problem if we planted ourselves on the beach making sandcastles? I respect other's spaces and it looks a little crowded to me. As a side note, I am also a little bit turned off by the "brown water". I can get brown water state-side. Tell me more about the Oreo concoctions...

We are debating going to Blue Kay. It would cost about half of Maya Chan, but you miss out on the excellent customer service. I work hard and I like being served on vacation. Our favorite vacation spot is Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. How is the food service in Blue Kay? I have picky eaters. Any fries? I would load my kids up with bacon at breakfast and feed them chips all day on the beach.

Thanks!

Nicole

The staff at Blue Kay is excellent. It's probably one of the better spots along the malecon as far as beaches go. Water is shallow and depending on currents and recent storms may not be blue, exact same coast line as Maya Chan just a couple of miles closer to the port. However, I have heard that they are raising their prices and they seem to always have charged a bit more than places in the middle of the malecon, beer @ US$3.50 vs US$1-2 at other clubs, for example. They offer a day pass at around US$ 20pp to cover all the watersport activities. Not sure if drinks or food is included but doubt it. Check on one of the Blue Kay threads on this board for Mitsugirly's reviews in her signature link. She posted a menu picture there. You are in Mexico, not the local beach, don't expect burgers and fries.