A few questions about Spirit Med. cruise out of Barcelona

I will be taking this cruise in early February 2018 and I am kind of expecting cold weather - can anyone who has done this previously tell me what weather they had? (I know, never the same.)

As this is a special birthday cruise I would really like to plan which specialty restaurant to choose for that date. If anyone has anything good or bad to say about the restaurants and the menus I would most appreciate that.

Also, were there any excursions that were well worth the price? We did sign up for the excursion discount so that will make them only slightly more reasonable. :)

I have found a lot of info on the balcony cabins so I think I know what to expect. Vacations 2 Go would only book a guarantee but it looks like all of the balconies are not too bad.

Any other experiences to share? I found lots of info for other NCL ships but not much on the Spirit other than it is older, a bit worn but still nice.

If it's in February then I assume the itinerary is the Canary Islands?

The Spirit does many different itineraries, but that is the usual one during the winter. If that's the case then you are only in the Med for a couple of days.

There are limited dining options on the Spirit compared to other NCL ships. You basically have La Cucina, Cagneys, Teppenyaki and Le Bistro as upcharge places, plus the usual MDRs and buffet. There also Blue Lagoon (burgers etc) and the Asian restaurant which has some sushi dishes for an upcharge. These are all fairly standard NCL restaurants so some research on any ship will give you ideas about them. Personally, I think they are all good.

The itinerary changes from year to year and there are only a couple of ports that are the same this winter compared to last time we did it. You will probably struggle to get excursion recommendations on this board for your specific ports and may be better off on the ports of call section for that. I will say though that you need to consider Casablanca carefully. I really enjoyed it, but it's not an easy place to DIY. We don't usually take excursions but wouldn't do Casablanca any other way. Either privately booked or through the ship will be fine, but there are plenty of stories of people who tried exploring by themselves and regretted it.

The rooms are small compared to most other ships, but will be fine for two.

The Spirit is a great ship. We particularly enjoy the terrace aft of the buffer to sit whilst at sea, and the staff have always been exceptional.

Thank you for your helpful response Keith. We chose this because the ports were interesting and I wanted a smaller ship. My first cruise was on HAL Volendam and the size was just about right. I knew the cabins would be small and I don't figure on spending too much time there except to sleep.

I love French cuisine and there isn't anywhere near where I live in HI that serves it. Steaks I can get any time so if LeBistro is good I will plan that. I am researching excursions and your comment about Casablanca was helpful. I am fairly adventurous but not if it is a confusing place or dangerous in any way. I like a good excursion but I also like learning about places and doing my own thing.

I have quite enough time to really build up my excitement! Even refreshing my Spanish.

assuming this is the canary islands itinerary

these islands are a popular winter sun destination for Europeans

having said that when we did this cruise in April last year the ship docked in the North of Tenerife and Gran Canaria where temperatures are cooler-the most popular beaches are in South of islands

it could be lovely sunshine and warm it could be cool and rain but definitely better than a British winter and wont be the sweltering temperatures of high summer

take layers and a waterproof and you should be covered for all eventualities