Quick Review MSC Divina Cruise 1st to 8th July 2017

mjkStirling

MSC DIVINA – 1st July 2017

First timewith MSC and I was not disappointed. Cabin with a balcony was great, staff were friendly and plenty to see and do onboard. Enjoyed the food on offer, though getting a seat in the afternoon can be challenging at the buffet restaurant,but it is to be expected with over 4000 guests on the ship. Felt the cruise was good value for money as I had booked early and did not have to pay a supplement for a balcony cabin (my first time at this level). Did not take a drinks package, opted for one non-alcoholic 18 voucher booklet which served my friend and I’s needs. Only worth taking if you are drinking non-alcoholic cocktails as canned juice and some coffee etc can be purchased for equivalent price, no real saving; depending on taste the buffet restaurant can provide options of thesefor free.

If registering a debit card on embarkation be aware that if you do not spend the amount registered then you receive the difference in American Dollars, cash. Otherships I have sailed with only debit the account if there is a bill and for that amount of money only. I was left with a $100 note on the day before I left from Miami, thankfully I had some purchases to make in Miami but it was not what Ihad expected.

JAMAICA –Dunn’s Falls – Easy to jump on a small tourist bus from the port and arrange a pick-up time for your return journey, all prices discussed before you go on.They get you the ticket for entry which is a standard 20 dollars for tourists,cheaper for Jamaicans. In hindsight, we should have got off the ship slightly earlier as 3 hours from drop off to collection was pushing it for us to do our own thing. We didn’t realise you can actually walk the falls yourself, withouta guide. We wasted half an hour in the queue waiting on a guide which meant we didn’t get to view more of the park itself and they look for a tip. This is as usual significantly cheaper than the same excursion organised by the ship, they were behind us in the queue!

CAYMANISLANDS – Seven Mile Beach- Local tourist buses at the port offering you really good rates for all excursions. We opted for the public bus to take us there for$2.50 for a single ticket, as you can then stay as long as you want and easy to pick up a return bus at your leisure. No need for bus stops, they peep the horn and if you want the ride you stick your hand out and they stop! Don’t try that in Scotland it doesn’t work, they drive past you. Beach was beautiful and lots on offer. We opted to snorkel with our own equipment and bought a drink at Calico Jacks, it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it. Not great for snorkelling as too sandy and busy but great to chill out on and watch the world go by.

COZUMELMEXICO – A taxi for 4, $12 dollars each way, took us to a small inexpensive place beside the water for the day. Recommended by the tourist information at the port we found ourselves at a beach front bar Tortuga; for $20 each we got full use of facilities, snorkel equipment, loungers etc, a Mexican lunch, one free locally produced drink, a 5-minute massage and wi-fi.We stayed all day and yes there are the obligatory stalls trying to sell you local gifts, medicines and extras but there is no obligation to purchase anything, just say no thanks. It wasn’t 5 stars but it was relaxed, friendly and great for snorkelling.

NASSAUBAHAMAS- We did the horse and cart ride, advertised at $15 per adult, we haggled to $10 as there were 4 of us, 2 adults in each. It is not the longest ride or the most informative but we did it and the fact we got stuck in a traffic jam made the journey probably twice as long. After a wander along theshops we found the public beach to cool down at and swim. Didn’t snorkel but others were so can’t comment. Lockers, toilets, food, bars etc available and not far from the port.

Disembarkation was easy enough, much smoother than getting on. Uber appears to be cheaper than a taxi and is a popular choice for getting from port to hotel or airport etc. Can recommend Miami Marriott Hotel Biscayne Bay for an overnight stay or longer; close to port and facilities and staff were excellent.