Thoughts from those who've taken the Californian Coastal Cruise

BritinSoCal

September in California is beautiful (been in the Bay Area 13 years). April is definitely cool, and will be cool in the evening if outside for sure. Very little humidity here and the Pacific Ocean is always 53 - 57F so sets the tone. So-Cal is also better in Sept. To sum it up: I would not hesitate to book Sept - would think hard about April.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That sounds perfect to me. Thanks for the weather info on San Fran.

Next September is far away but it will come quickly, lol.

September in California is beautiful (been in the Bay Area 13 years). April is definitely cool, and will be cool in the evening if outside for sure. Very little humidity here and the Pacific Ocean is always 53 - 57F so sets the tone. So-Cal is also better in Sept. To sum it up: I would not hesitate to book Sept - would think hard about April.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks so much! You've confirmed my thoughts and our 47th anniversary is earlier in September, not that we need an excuse to cruise. We live on the Atlantic and our maritime weather is similar.

We had one of our most interesting Princess excursions ever in Astoria. We went to Mount St. Helens. It was a fascinating trip, especially if you are of a certain age and remember the volcanic eruption in the1980 or have an interest in geology and volcanolgy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_St._Helens

That sounds like a wonderful excursion! Very unique. I'll never forget having our yard covered with a layer of ash after the eruption. We were over 600 km away but it certainly did travel well. :)

Mrs SoCal and I always find ourselves with a few days of vacation to blow before the end of the year (SWMBO has a "use it or lose it" deal) - the past couple of years we've taken a 7 or 8 day Mexican Riviera cruise between Chrimbo and New Year....[/quote

At the risk of going off topic here, according to California law, PTO and vacation are wages that have been earned by, but not yet paid to, the employee. Once you earn vacation or PTO, it cannot be taken away. This means "use it or lose it" policies, in which employees must use vacation by a certain date or forfeit it, are illegal in California.

Vacation can be capped and therefore an employee can be ineligible to earn any more vacation until one drops below the cap, but anything earned up until that point can not be taken away.

I'm now at a point where I'm so close to my accrual cap that I need to take 2 vacation days off every month from now till my Thanksgiving MR cruise to avoid maxing out and losing out on vacation days. Christmas and New Year back in the UK should help get me further away from maxing out and then the three week Oz/Fiji cruise vacation in April 2018 should keep me clear of the same situation for a good part of the rest of the year.