Belize with a 1 year old-- Can we do a Ruins excursion?

heatherkristin

Hi everyone, my husband and I have booked a Western Caribbean cruise for April 2019. I am currently pregnant with our first child, and this will be its first cruise. At the time of sailing, child will be 1 year 3 months.

In Belize, we are interested in doing some type of Mayan ruin excursion, but I am hoping those of you that have visited Belize before can give us some tips of excursions for the Ruins with a short driving distance?

I appreciate any tips/pointers anyone has for me! Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am hoping maybe someone else can chime in here, but I can't think of any ruins in Belize that you would want to bring a baby/toddler. First there is a long tender boat to get ashore, then any of the closest ruins would be a good 45 minute or longer drive each way on bumpy roads and depending when you go, it can get unbearably hot and humid. I guess the flatest ruins would be Altun Ha, but there is not a lot of shade for the baby/ rest areas there and might be tough having a stroller. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but you may want to look at another excursion or choose to sail when the baby is of age to be in kids club so you can go ashore without him/her.

I am hoping maybe someone else can chime in here, but I can't think of any ruins in Belize that you would want to bring a baby/toddler. First there is a long tender boat to get ashore, then any of the closest ruins would be a good 45 minute or longer drive each way on bumpy roads and depending when you go, it can get unbearably hot and humid. I guess the flatest ruins would be Altun Ha, but there is not a lot of shade for the baby/ rest areas there and might be tough having a stroller. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but you may want to look at another excursion or choose to sail when the baby is of age to be in kids club so you can go ashore without him/her.

Thanks for this! Not being a Debbie Downer at all, I've never visited Belize before so I wasn't sure if it was possible and I appreciate the realistic expectations!

Thanks for this! Not being a Debbie Downer at all, I've never visited Belize before so I wasn't sure if it was possible and I appreciate the realistic expectations!

While your 1 year old may not be old enough to leave with one of the kid camps on board, I think there may be a sitter service or maybe someone on your roll call is staying on board with younger children.. Never hurts to ask. You might luck into a group looking for more bodies to get a lower rate. Otherwise,, even a tender ride might be tough for a todler.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Forums mobile app

I would say go for it~but book a private excursion so you can be in control of how long you stay and don't have to wait for others if the baby doesn't cooperate! We booked with King David https://www.altournativebelizeservices.com/ We have gone with him twice while in Belize and had great experiences both times.

We also loved the zoo when we were there. It would be great with a little one.

Enjoy! We really loved our stops in Belize.