Civitivecchia - Civita Bagnoregio and Orvieto -edited

ljandgb

We were in port here last week. We're a group of 8, ages 12-75 (3 generations) and decided we didn't want to deal with Rome traffic. (tour company edited out) It was one of our more expensive tours, at 650 euro total. That included a nice 9 passenger van with a driver. He was kind of a guide, but only in that he answered questions along the drive. Once at the locations he just told us when and where to meet him again. He was very nice, and had a very good recommendation for lunch in Orvieto. He met us at the ship, and had us back to the ship an hour before last call.

Civita Bagnoregio is an almost abandoned walled city atop an eroding hillside. It is only accessible by a long and somewhat steep footbridge. Go early, because it gets hot. It is a really quaint little town, with a few restaurants, shops, and B&B's. It was my mom's favorite city we visited (maybe partially because she was proud of herself for making it up to the top.) Orvieto is much larger, and has lots of shops and restaurants, a large cathedral in that odd (to me) Tuscan white and black striped marble. There are also caves below the city, but we didn't get a chance to see them. Bummer, since that sounded interesting. We ate at Trattoria Tipica la Pergola, at our driver's recommendation. It was very good. Our daughter has a mild nut allergy, and they were very good about accommodating it, well and above the usual restaurant experiences we've had even in the US.

It was a pretty drive there and back, about 80 minutes each way.

I've removed the tour company name, so hopefully this post won't get deleted. If anyone asks, I'm assuming I can tell them who we used?

Well, I have checked now, but there's an entire thread named a specific company so I wasn't quite sure where the rules stood.

I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has, though I think my specific information is more helpful for the other ports with fewer options. I'll try to repost those without specific company names when I get a chance.

Thank you for your post. I also had a tour booked through Joe Banana's (italytoursharing.com) but changed my mind about going to Civita Bagnoregio and switched tours. I should of went!! Next time for sure.

Thank you again for your post because this day trip from Rome never really gets mentioned too much. Its good to know it is a definite option.