Dinner Suggestions

raider23

If you want to make your way over to the Condado District (taxi doesn't cost too much), Ajili Mojili is really good. We had dinner there the last time we were in San Juan, and the food is authentic and delicious. This time, we're trying Ikakos, because we'll be in San Juan on December 24th, and Ajili Mojili is closed that evening. In Old San Juan, we stopped at a small place right down the street from Fort San Cristobal that was wonderful! I wish I could remember the name! We'll have to get back there when we get off the shop this time.

JUST BACK FROM 2 NIGHT PRECRUISE STAY AND 11/26 CRUISE. I FELL IN LOVE WITH OLD SAN JUAN !!

WE STAYED AT THE EL CONVENTO HOTEL AND ARRIVED THANKSGIVING EVENING TOO TIRED TO LOOK FOR ANYTHING IN OSJ..... SO ATE AT THE TAPAS RESTAURANT IN HOTEL.... WOW IT WAS AMAZING. CALLED EL PICOTEO AND IS IN OPEN COURTYARD OF THE HOTEL. THE HOTEL WAS BUILT IN 1650'S AS A CARMELITE CONVENT AND HAS A RICH HISTORY IN ITSELF. TAPAS ARE LIKE APPETIZERS AND EACH PERSON ORDERS A FEW AND THEN YOU SHARE. THE EMPANADAS STUFFED WITH LOBSTER WERE GOOOOOD AS WELL AS THE FRIED CALAMARI (which I had always likened to eating rubber bands - but not these !!). Many many others to choose from.

2nd night we ate at Pamelas in Ocean Park.....all I can say is if you don't mind the taxi ride it is worth it.... really good food. right on the beach too.

Have a great trip..... I am already planning my next one !

we always make it a point to eat at metropol when we are in p.r. it is cuban/puerto rican food. large portions, authentic. mostly local people eating out there as we would go to a family restaurant at home. by the way, get a carafe of the sangria! you will need a taxi to get there.

Baru is a MUST DO! One of the truely great restaurant experiences ever. You order appetizers for sharing and MUST have a reservation because of the popularity of the restaurant. Just OUTSTANDING! It is 1-block from the El Convento. You'll LOVE it.

• 2 weeks later...
I highly recommend Divino Bocadito on Calle Cruz in Old San Juan. They have excellent paella and tapas - and a flamenco show on Saturdays at 8:00pm. There is no cover charge and the food is fantastic!

Thanks! We leave for San Juan tomorrow at about 5 AM, so maybe we'll check this place out for dinner tomorrow night! Have a great holiday season!

I 2nd the Metropol suggestion... Good local flavor, big portions, great prices. A short taxi ride away in Isla Verde and you get the opportunity to see a different area than just OSJ. If you're up for a more trendy/expensive dining experience, then I highly recommend trying out "Tangerine" in the Water Club Boutique Hotel- latin/japanese fusion taste. Then go on up to the roof for spectacular views of the city and dancing under the stars.

Archived