Cabin Question - Island Princess

parentsof5

We have E625 next year Northbound on the Island Princess. I have switched our booking to the 3 for Free and kept our cabin. I chose this cabin because of the slightly bigger, fully covered balcony. I have looked at various sites as I was choosing and re-skimmed now, trying to decide if I would want to move our cabin. What deck and cabin area would you say would be an upgrade and why?

I would highly recommend the newer balconies on the Promenade deck, PR712-719. They have large covered balconies, teak decking, flat screen televisions (mounted at the foot of the bed), slightly larger bathrooms and showers, and the new mattresses. The location is very convenient to everything on the Promenade deck. I would take one of these cabin again in a heartbeat.

I would highly recommend the newer balconies on the Promenade deck, PR712-719. They have large covered balconies, teak decking, flat screen televisions (mounted at the foot of the bed), slightly larger bathrooms and showers, and the new mattresses. The location is very convenient to everything on the Promenade deck. I would take one of these cabin again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the recommendation. These are fully covered decks as well?

FIRST LET ME MAKE IT CLEAR THAT I AM NOT SURE OF MY FACTS, BUT FOLKS MIGHT WANT TO CHECK WITH PRINCESS

I am also not sure of the OP's itinerary which will determine whether or not what follows is at all relevant,

BUT

I seem to recall some discussion after these cabins were added about the balconies of these cabins being declared 'out of bounds' when passing through the locks of the Panama Canal.

Apparently it was for safety reasons related to the proximity, to the balconies, of the cables between the ship and the 'mules'.

To repeat this was all a few of years ago in the season after these staterooms were added, but it is at least worth checking to see if the restriction still exists.

Yes there are some Promenade deck cabin balconies that are off limits during the canal transit due to heavy cables connecting the locomotives to the aft of the ship.

On the Coral the entire aft section of the Promenade deck is taped off to foot traffic for the same reason.

(there are no similar cabins in that area).

FIRST LET ME MAKE IT CLEAR THAT I AM NOT SURE OF MY FACTS, BUT FOLKS MIGHT WANT TO CHECK WITH PRINCESS

I am also not sure of the OP's itinerary which will determine whether or not what follows is at all relevant,

BUT

I seem to recall some discussion after these cabins were added about the balconies of these cabins being declared 'out of bounds' when passing through the locks of the Panama Canal.

Apparently it was for safety reasons related to the proximity, to the balconies, of the cables between the ship and the 'mules'.

To repeat this was all a few of years ago in the season after these staterooms were added, but it is at least worth checking to see if the restriction still exists.

Yes, I would have mentioned this, but the OP said that they are taking a Northbound cruise. I don't think this is an issue for an Alaska cruise. As for Panama, we were allowed on our balcony except for when the ship was actually in the locks. We were also compensated for the loss of use of our balcony, with a choice of a free day in the Sanctuary, or $120.00 each, in ship board credit.