Cadiz what to do for one day

RJB

Obviously lots of differing opinions! With only one day I would stay in town ... there is lots to see and it's easy to get around.

On one trip we had a private tour to Jerez where we visited the Spanish Riding School, Clock Museum (back then it was private tours only and you needed a group of 8 or so) and a vineyard. A delightful day.

But you CAN do Cadiz on your own, whether on foot or by bus.

On our first visit in 1999 the Cathedral visit was free. On our last visits it was NOT. But it's worth seeing.

There are also self-guided walking tours one can do.

A charming town.

Mura

How far is Jerez from the dock? Our ship will be in Cadiz from 11am to 7pm and I would really like to see the Dancing Horse Show but it starts at noon. Is there enough time to get there? And the best way to get there and back? I would purchase advance tickets. We want to then see the Cathedral and the town.

If you have a driver (or rent a car) it's a short ride to Jerez. Maybe 30-40 minutes?

On our return drive the guide got stuck in traffic and we had to wait a long time for him to return to us. The result was a super-fast race on the highway back to the ship. They were calling our names when we arrived but we were technically on time! But we had a 3:30 "back on board" time. If you don't leave til 7pm that means be back on board by 6:30. That shouldn't be a problem.

If you don't leave the ship until 11am, you'd really need a private tour, I think, to make sure you get there in time for a noon show. Because you'd really have to leave the ship as soon as you can.

I was going to suggest that you also do the Clock Museum because it is quite interesting and is pretty close to next door to the Spanish Riding School as far as I remember -- I could be wrong on that but Jerez is not a large town. But even if you just see the show, I don't know that you'd have time to do all that you want to see in Cadiz as well.

I suggest you search for a guide and get better info than I'm able to give you 12 years later! I'd recommend the guide we used -- he was excellent -- but when I wrote to him a few years ago I never had a response.

We're going to see the Lippizaners in Kotor in May ... looking forward to that.

Mura

• 3 weeks later...
If you have a driver (or rent a car) it's a short ride to Jerez. Maybe 30-40 minutes?

On our return drive the guide got stuck in traffic and we had to wait a long time for him to return to us. The result was a super-fast race on the highway back to the ship. They were calling our names when we arrived but we were technically on time! But we had a 3:30 "back on board" time. If you don't leave til 7pm that means be back on board by 6:30. That shouldn't be a problem.

If you don't leave the ship until 11am, you'd really need a private tour, I think, to make sure you get there in time for a noon show. Because you'd really have to leave the ship as soon as you can.

I was going to suggest that you also do the Clock Museum because it is quite interesting and is pretty close to next door to the Spanish Riding School as far as I remember -- I could be wrong on that but Jerez is not a large town. But even if you just see the show, I don't know that you'd have time to do all that you want to see in Cadiz as well.

I suggest you search for a guide and get better info than I'm able to give you 12 years later! I'd recommend the guide we used -- he was excellent -- but when I wrote to him a few years ago I never had a response.

We're going to see the Lippizaners in Kotor in May ... looking forward to that.

Mura

Thanks for your insight Mura. Do you know if a taxi can be booked in advance?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

That I don't know because we have never used a taxi in Cadiz, whether staying in town or going out of town.

You could certainly google car services to taxis in Cadiz and see what comes up.

If you still want to try for the Lippizaner show in Cadiz -- that will be tight, I agree -- you could also do a search on guides. The guide we used back in 2005 was Rafael. When I tried the link to his website tonight I got a message in spanish that the website was temporarily disabled. When I tried the link to his email I went to sending a message. Will it go through? I have no idea. But his email address back in 2007 was info at cadixtour dot com. Will a message go through? I have no idea!

Back then we also communicated with the tourist bureau. I have no idea if this address would still work but you can try it: turismo dot ipdc at aytojerez dot es.

Good luck!

Mura