Best Ruins in Progreso/Yucatán

NuggzMa

Hi! My mom and I want to see the ruins and have decided to book excursion through our ship. My question is what are the best ruins to see in Progreso? Has anyone toured the sites? Any opinions are gladly accepted as RC today just started uploading excursions, Uxmal was one of the sites. I'm holding off from booking until some more choices are loaded onto the website. Thanks again for any insight!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've been to 3 from Progreso and enjoyed them all. Dzibilchaltun is the closest - about a 1/2 hour drive. Went there with my son and we were able to climb most of the ruins. Interesting, fairly small and not very strenuous walking. Uxmal is really beautiful. You can see for miles from the top of the largest pyramid (and most of the buildings are climbable). It's about a 1 1/2 hour bus ride but usually the guide keeps you entertained on these rides with alot of history. I went by myself to this one and the shore excursion guide was excellent. Chichen Itza is a "must see" World Heritage site. It is the furthest from Progreso (about 1 3/4 hours) but is worth the trip. It is not possible to see the whole site in one tour. There are very few buildings that you can climb. It's huge, the history is fascinating. Be sure to take a guided tour. Also, if you can stomach it, watch the movie "Apocalypto". Some parts are Very hard to watch, but there are some sites at Chichen Itza which will be similar to what you see in the movie.

I'd suggest, whichever you choose, take a shore excursion through the cruiseline. They guarantee that you won't miss the ship and since there's a bus ride involved with whichever you choose, that makes for peace of mind. Also, I've found the tour guides are very knowledgeable and some are very entertaining.Dzibilchaltun

• 4 weeks later...

RUINS / PYRAMIDS - There are numerous sites within traveling distance from Progreso:

Xcambo - 35 minutes and easily accessible by taxi or local guide. This is a very small ruin site with 2 small pyramids and a few other smaller structures.

Dzibilchaltun - 35 minutes. This is a medium sized site with temples, various structures and a surface pond-like cenote. There are no pyramids at this site. Air-conditioned museum, restaurant and gift shop on site. You are not permitted to carry bags onto this site unless they are fully-transparent. Lockers are available. Available by taxi, through cruise ship and by local companies.

Mayapan - 1 hour drive. This is a medium-sized site with Pyramids, Structures and ancient Maya observatory. You are still permitted to climb the pyramids here !! This is a less crowded site and sometimes you have it all t yourself ! Available through YucatanCenote .com

Uxmal - 1.5 hour dive. This is a large site with incredible details and a variety of Pyramids and structures. Most of the structures you are permitted to climb, however the main Pyramid is corded off. This is a popular site and there is a good chance that you will be sharing it with tour buses. Available through your cruise ship, YucatanCenote .com and Lawsons Excursions.

Chichen-Itza - 2 hour drive (by bus) or 1.45 (by car). Considering the driving distance to this site, it would probably be wise to take a ship excursion. This is a very popular site and one of the Wonders of the World and, as such, you will be sharing the site with bus loads of tourists and vendors. Available through cruise ship.

Dzibulchaltun was good, perfect weather in December too. We've booked Uxmal for New Year's day:)

Some recommend Uxmal over Chichen Itza as there's supposedly fewer vendors there. We'll see!

Guess I will just have to keep booking cruises to see them all! Oh darn lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums