Refund for a gift card?

heather9844

Hello cruisers! I have an odd question. For my birthday I received a Carnival gift card from a relative, and my husband and I planned to apply it toward our upcoming Vista cruise in April. However, we're considering canceling our cruise -- we just haven't fully decided yet. I'm just wondering if we apply the gift card toward our cruise balance now and then cancel the cruise later, do we get that money back as cash? Or does Carnival refund that portion as some sort of "future cruise credit"?

Either way, it's not like we'll never take another Carnival cruise again, but I'd hate to have to sit on that gift card for another year or two before it actually gets used when I could just have the cash lol.

If it’s a payment made towards the balance of your cruise (not the deposit), and you cancel the cruise prior to the penalty phase, it would be refunded to you in the same manner in which you paid. In other words, if paid by credit card, it’s refunded to your credit card; if gift card, back to the gift card or they mail you a new gift card. Not sure which because I’ve seen people say both when it comes to gift cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello cruisers! I have an odd question. For my birthday I received a Carnival gift card from a relative, and my husband and I planned to apply it toward our upcoming Vista cruise in April. However, we're considering canceling our cruise -- we just haven't fully decided yet. I'm just wondering if we apply the gift card toward our cruise balance now and then cancel the cruise later, do we get that money back as cash? Or does Carnival refund that portion as some sort of "future cruise credit"?

Either way, it's not like we'll never take another Carnival cruise again, but I'd hate to have to sit on that gift card for another year or two before it actually gets used when I could just have the cash lol.

You won't get cash back. Depending on the fare type that you booked, you will get either Future Cruise Credit (for Early Saver Fares) or a refund back to the original form of payment (all other fares). Carnival gift cards are refunded with a new gift card mailed to your home.

If it’s a payment made towards the balance of your cruise (not the deposit), and you cancel the cruise prior to the penalty phase, it would be refunded to you in the same manner in which you paid. In other words, if paid by credit card, it’s refunded to your credit card; if gift card, back to the gift card or they mail you a new gift card. Not sure which because I’ve seen people say both when it comes to gift cards.

Carnival gift cards are not reloadable; therefore, they cannot refund back to the original gift card.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2004/~/carnival-gift-cards---frequently-asked-questions

Reload Information

Q: What happens when the total card value is used? Should I throw the card away?

A: Once you run out of funds on the Carnival gift card, you may not add additional funds. The card may then be discarded.

Q: Can I add funds to my Carnival Gift Card online?

A: You may not add funds to your Gift Card online as the gift card is not reloadable.

Carnival gift cards are not reloadable; therefore, they cannot refund back to the original gift card.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2004/~/carnival-gift-cards---frequently-asked-questions

Reload Information

Q: What happens when the total card value is used? Should I throw the card away?

A: Once you run out of funds on the Carnival gift card, you may not add additional funds. The card may then be discarded.

Q: Can I add funds to my Carnival Gift Card online?

A: You may not add funds to your Gift Card online as the gift card is not reloadable.

I think the operative term there is "you". I am pretty sure they they... the people who administer the gift card program ... have the capability to add value to a card. However, I would bet that they issue refunds via a new card by default to avoid complications where someone has lost or discarded the original card as described in the FAQ.

In any case, as everybody indicated the OP will not be able to cash out that GC this way, regardless of booking type.

OP, you can always sell the card on one of the GC resale sites but it appears they only give about 80%

I think the operative term there is "you". I am pretty sure they they... the people who administer the gift card program ... have the capability to add value to a card. However, I would bet that they issue refunds via a new card by default to avoid complications where someone has lost or discarded the original card as described in the FAQ.

In any case, as everybody indicated the OP will not be able to cash out that GC this way, regardless of booking type.

OP, you can always sell the card on one of the GC resale sites but it appears they only give about 80%

It may seem that way, but most gift cards are just simply not reloadable by any means, including Carnival's. I believe that the operative part of the FAQ is "the gift card is not reloadable."

Carnival reps have even been reported to state that the refund would go back to the original gift card (including my PVP). When challenged and they research, they find out that it can not be reloaded.