Attn San Juan cruisers: Air Canada cancellations

xvi

If you're flying Air Canada to San Juan between now and mid December, passengers are reporting flight cancellations. Some have been notified, others have not. They are trying to accommodate people on other flights, or offering refunds. There were no alternative flights that worked for us and they could not accommodate us, so we took the refund and rebooked on another airline.

Perhaps, but it doesn’t change the fact that cruises are still going ahead, despite hotel and airline closures. The cruise lines (NCL specifically) should have been more flexible regarding refunds / rebookings because it’s not realistic to expect everyone to make it to San Juan if there aren’t enough flights for all passengers.

Perhaps, but it doesn’t change the fact that cruises are still going ahead, despite hotel and airline closures. The cruise lines (NCL specifically) should have been more flexible regarding refunds / rebookings because it’s not realistic to expect everyone to make it to San Juan if there aren’t enough flights for all passengers.

i don't think this is the issue right now: the issue is with SJ claiming they were ready for the tourism to return. Add to that, it isn't the cruise lines fault, NCL or any other line that flights are still being cancelled. It is the airline's problem for booking some of the flights without totaling being aware of the situation.

Perhaps we all need to remember there has never been a year in modern times where there have been so many back to back hurricanes doing the damage they did this summer. No one knows how to handle the problems.

It kind of is the issue tho... not a single Canadian airline is flying to San Juan right now but NCL won’t let us cancel. We now have to drive for 6 hours to leave from Buffalo. Nobody can control the weather, but the cruise lines could be more flexible when passengers literally cannot physically get there because there are now no flights to San Juan out of an entire country.

Nobody can control the weather, but the cruise lines could be more flexible when passengers literally cannot physically get there because there are now no flights to San Juan out of an entire country.

I am Canadian too but do not need to fly to San Juan.

Why not look in to flying to an American city out of whatever airport you were going to fly to San Juan and then getting a connecting flight on to San Juan.

That should work without having to cancel your cruise.

Is it the most convenient or cost effective way to go? Probably not. It is definitely an option you could consider though.

I am Canadian too but do not need to fly to San Juan.

Why not look in to flying to an American city out of whatever airport you were going to fly to San Juan and then getting a connecting flight on to San Juan.

That should work without having to cancel your cruise.

Is it the most convenient or cost effective way to go? Probably not. It is definitely an option you could consider though.

Yes we spent hours examining connecting flights out of Toronto but not much left this late in the game and what is left either doesn’t meet the cruise schedule or requires overnight layovers, and with 8 of us traveling that doesn’t make sense. Our only viable option was to take the refund from Air Canada and book on American Airlines out of Buffalo. Inconvenient, yes, but better than missing the cruise. It’s definitely a lesson in cancellation insurance...

My issue is with Air Canada not informing their passengers that their flight is canceled!

I called them out on FB messenger early this morning and finally got them to admit that they are not flying into, or out of San Juan until January 2018.

Up until that point, Air Canada was telling passengers their flights were no longer visible online because they were “sold out”. What kind of BS is that? Why not just be honest and give people a chance to book something else?

I’m pretty salty about Air Canada right now, so I’ll be flying on other airlines whenever possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes we spent hours examining connecting flights out of Toronto but not much left this late in the game and what is left either doesn’t meet the cruise schedule or requires overnight layovers, and with 8 of us traveling that doesn’t make sense. Our only viable option was to take the refund from Air Canada and book on American Airlines out of Buffalo. Inconvenient, yes, but better than missing the cruise. It’s definitely a lesson in cancellation insurance...

Would cancellation insurance cover that?

I have my doubts, unless it's not-in-the-mood insurance...

My issue is with Air Canada not informing their passengers that their flight is canceled!

I called them out on FB messenger early this morning and finally got them to admit that they are not flying into, or out of San Juan until January 2018.

Up until that point, Air Canada was telling passengers their flights were no longer visible online because they were “sold out”. What kind of BS is that? Why not just be honest and give people a chance to book something else?

I’m pretty salty about Air Canada right now, so I’ll be flying on other airlines whenever possible.

Agreed. We were lucky enough to find out about the cancellations early on and were able to get ahead of the situation, but many were left in the dark. Air Canada knew for over a week at least that flights were being cancelled and were just... stalling. My friend was notified over a week ago. The rest of us never got the call! It took me 4 phone calls to them over a week, each time with them denying the changes and also being told the flights were sold out, before they finally admitted the cancellations and refunded me. Luckily we were able to find new flights. Hopefully it isn't too late for others :(

Yes, already had WestJet cancel our flights to SJ for our Dawn cruise Jan.7

Rebooked last week with Air Canada....fingers crossed.

Air Canada told us December 16th for flights to resume, so hopefully you'll be ok. Good luck :)

I just checked and there are NO flights on AC to SJU on December 16th. There are only star alliance partner flights. Sorry to be the bearer of more bad news.

I think the poster is flying Jan 7th. I was just stating what Air Canada told me, that they were resuming flights as of December 16th. Hopefully by Jan 7th they’ll be ok. Fingers crossed.

I think the poster is flying Jan 7th. I was just stating what Air Canada told me, that they were resuming flights as of December 16th. Hopefully by Jan 7th they’ll be ok. Fingers crossed.

Ah ok. I guess I’m just really doubting pretty much anything Air Canada has to say at this point. They are really letting their customers down for no reason except to keep their money longer [emoji35]

It kind of is the issue tho... not a single Canadian airline is flying to San Juan right now but NCL won’t let us cancel. We now have to drive for 6 hours to leave from Buffalo. Nobody can control the weather, but the cruise lines could be more flexible when passengers literally cannot physically get there because there are now no flights to San Juan out of an entire country.

I can't even imagine what you are going through. I would be a bit upset if it were me. I wonder, for those who booked air through NCL as well, how NCL is handling that? I am guessing insurance would kick in here someplace. Good luck, hopefully things will change before the actual flight.

I was speaking with a TA friend, and even she called AC and was told flights were still operating - I’m just shaking my head.

Yes my mom had to call in to Aeroplan today to get her refund and Aeroplan was in the dark too... she spent an hour on the phone going through the whole rigamaroll all over again through the ranks at Air Canada before getting it straightened out. Their lack of inter-agency communication is astonishing.

I can't even imagine what you are going through. I would be a bit upset if it were me. I wonder, for those who booked air through NCL as well, how NCL is handling that? I am guessing insurance would kick in here someplace. Good luck, hopefully things will change before the actual flight.

Thank you. Luckily, American Airlines came to the rescue for us. We were fortunate because there were still a few seats left, but some Air Canada passengers still haven’t been notified and unless they read these forums, are going to have a tough time finding flights last minute. I would have been very sad to have had to cancel. After all this, that first drink aboard the ship is going to be extra rewarding... ;)

If you already booked on American this idea might be too late for you but could possibly help others in your situation. Fly from Toronto to Orlando and then you can get a nonstop flight from Orlando to San Juan (on Southwest you can usually find $89 flight several times throughout the day. Good luck!

Thank you. Luckily, American Airlines came to the rescue for us. We were fortunate because there were still a few seats left, but some Air Canada passengers still haven’t been notified and unless they read these forums, are going to have a tough time finding flights last minute. I would have been very sad to have had to cancel. After all this, that first drink aboard the ship is going to be extra rewarding... ;)

I hope extra strong as well.:')