Do I have this right - cabin mate canceling

sheltry

Hello! I see so many post asking about what happens when a person cancels. Friend might not be able to go on 11/5 cruise. She has Travel Guard 'cancel for any reason' ins. We know she won't get any Carnival fare back from Carnival. Does she need to officially cancel her cruise in order to get her insurance refund or could she cancel for any reason and not show up? She will get back taxes and prepaid gratuities from Carnival. Is there any aspect of my thinking that has me being charged a single supplement? Carnival is getting their full fare. Is there any downfall in telling Carnival she won't be coming? Thanks in advance for your time!

Did you purchase insurance?

IF she cancels and uses the "Cancel For Any Reason" she MUST cancel at least 48 hours before trip departure. Then call the insurance company. Fill out paperwork, and she will receive a 'Credit" for 75% of her fare to be used for a future cruise.

She will get her port fees and taxes back, but that's it. (unless she prepaid gratuities, excursions, and such)

Now for you

IF you bought the same insurance plan, the insurance will pick up your "Single Suppliment" costs.

If you did not buy insurance then Yes, Carnival has the right to make you pay single Suppliment.

You can argue all day long about "but they already got all the money",,,, it's all blah, blah, blah.

The terms and conditions are all spelled out in the contract.

I don’t think you will be charged the single supplement since Carnival is already paid for 2, even if your friend claims the insurance. There is no need to tell that your friend is not coming since each passenger is allowed to check in separately.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not know about Carnival, but at least one other major cruise line does charge the "single supplement" even though between you and your cabin mate (who cancelled) they were paid the full fare. Her insurance paid her for her fare, and mine reimbursed me for the single supplement I had to pay to sail. So, I was made whole, my cabin mate was made financially whole, and the cruise line got three half fares. We were insured by the same Company.

I was very concerned that the Insurance would reimburse her full fare AND pay my single supplement. When I checked with them they said in so manga words - No problem - we do this frequently. (I am still not sure I like the cruise line getting 50-% more for the cabin because of a personal emergency, but I have adjusted.

Yes, you will have to pay the single supplement... I just had to do this a few weeks ago. I had to cancel my husband for a covered work reason, CCL charged me the 200% but since We had cruise insurance together, I filed the paperwork to be reimbursed my supplemental fare ... Our insurance is with a 3rd party carrier. It’s not right but it is within their rights

Did you purchase insurance?

IF she cancels and uses the "Cancel For Any Reason" she MUST cancel at least 48 hours before trip departure. Then call the insurance company. Fill out paperwork, and she will receive a 'Credit" for 75% of her fare to be used for a future cruise.

She will get her port fees and taxes back, but that's it. (unless she prepaid gratuities, excursions, and such)

Now for you

IF you bought the same insurance plan, the insurance will pick up your "Single Suppliment" costs.

If you did not buy insurance then Yes, Carnival has the right to make you pay single Suppliment.

You can argue all day long about "but they already got all the money",,,, it's all blah, blah, blah.

The terms and conditions are all spelled out in the contract.

Carnival has an insurance broker for whom they sell the Vacation Protection plans. While I have never read the declarations/coverages for the plans Carnival sells (because I would never purchase insurance through Carnival), they are 2 different entities. Carnival has been fully paid and Carnival is not going to reimburse any money due to cancellation. It is the insurer who is reimbursing the "loss", not Carnival. If the policy means Carnival is going to collect additional funds for a cabin that is already fully paid - that's the reason to shop elsewhere for insurance. As to the % of coverage, don't know what it is.

• 2 months later...
Yes, you will have to pay the single supplement... I just had to do this a few weeks ago. I had to cancel my husband for a covered work reason, CCL charged me the 200% but since We had cruise insurance together, I filed the paperwork to be reimbursed my supplemental fare ... Our insurance is with a 3rd party carrier. It’s not right but it is within their rights

Did you get reimbursed for the single supplement? My cabin mate is cancelling for a covered medical reason. We both purchased insurance through Carnival. It’s after final payment. Carnival is telling us they will refund her full rate less deposit which she submits to insurance for reimbursement. I still want to go. Carnival tells me I must pay the single supplement and file a claim with insurance to be reimbursed and it’s up to the insurance company how much (if anything) they will reimburse. They make it sound like I might not get anything back. And if that’s he case I would rather cancel as well....

So I’m just wondering in this situation now likely I am to be reimbursed?