Royal Caribbean's Cruise Care

I was told something today that surprised me. Before I make another call, can someone confirm what I was told please?

I've had a cruise booked since February. I bought my Travel Guard Gold policy within the 14 days of booking to have pre existing condition coverage because at the time, my DH, who has serious medical issues, would be going with me. He's changed his mind and would rather not go and since that time, I've moved the cruise from an 8 Day Freedom to 5 day Serenade to a 4 day Majesty.

Does this sound right? Clarea?

Thanks,

Cathy

I cannot tell what question you are asking.:confused:

You mean you can't read my mind? lol sorry

My SIL wants to purchase Cruise Care through Royal Caribbean. She's in the cabin w/me. I have a Travel Guard policy I purchased in February. The RCCL rep told me this morning she can't get Cruise Care unless we both have it added to our booking. So her only choice is to purchase a 3rd party policy, which is more expensive, unless the Rep gave me wrong information.

Do you know if it's mandatory for everyone in the cabin to have Cruise Care if one wants it?

Does that help?

Thanks,

Cathy

My SIL wants to purchase Cruise Care through Royal Caribbean. She's in the cabin w/me. I have a Travel Guard policy I purchased in February. The RCCL rep told me this morning she can't get Cruise Care unless we both have it added to our booking. So her only choice is to purchase a 3rd party policy, which is more expensive, unless the Rep gave me wrong information.

Do you know if it's mandatory for everyone in the cabin to have Cruise Care if one wants it?

Does that help?

Thanks,

Cathy

Yes, now I understand the question, but unfortunately don't know the answer.

Does that help?

Thanks,

Cathy

If RCCL says it's mandatory for both, it probably is. It makes sense. However, since Cruise Care is usually only $59.00, it might be worth paying the $118 if the third party insurance is much higher. Also, clarify what kind of coverage she wants. If the whole cost of the cruise is covered under your plan, she may just get a medical supplement that would be cheaper.

Well I don't agree with it, but here's what I found out from the second call to RCCL. It is a fact that if one person wants Royal's travel protection, everyone in the same cabin must purchase it.

I was given a phone number to the insurance company and I called. It can be done through them and is called a "split booking". They are emailing me the information and cost. Must be paid for by check or money order to the insurance company. Effective date will be the date the envelope is post marked.

Cathy

Well I don't agree with it, but here's what I found out from the second call to RCCL. It is a fact that if one person wants Royal's travel protection, everyone in the same cabin must purchase it.

I was given a phone number to the insurance company and I called. It can be done through them and is called a "split booking". They are emailing me the information and cost. Must be paid for by check or money order to the insurance company. Effective date will be the date the envelope is post marked.

Cathy

Thanks for reporting back, I never knew about this process.

Cathy

That's good information. Thanks for the update.

If RCCL says it's mandatory for both, it probably is. It makes sense. However, since Cruise Care is usually only $59.00, it might be worth paying the $118 if the third party insurance is much higher. Also, clarify what kind of coverage she wants. If the whole cost of the cruise is covered under your plan, she may just get a medical supplement that would be cheaper.

I sail solo and have paid lots more than $59 for Cruise Care. It's based on the total price of the cruise.

$0 - $500 - $29

$501 - $1000 $59

$1001 - $1500 $89

$1501 - $2000 $119

$2001 - $2500 $159

$2501 - $3000 $199

$3001 - $3500 $259

$3501 - $4000 $299

$4001 - $5000 $379

$5001 - $5500 $419

$5501 - $6000 $459

and goes up from there.

I’m not sure 3rd party insurances are more expensive. She should check that out. And IF they are, it’s likely because they might cover more.

Did your TG insurance follow to the new cruise you said you changed to?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m not sure 3rd party insurances are more expensive. She should check that out. And IF they are, it’s likely because they might cover more. ...

I agree that the coverage from 3rd party insurance is probablty better than Royal's. Another factor is age. Royal's insurance premium is not age based, so it can be significantly less expensive for older cruisers.

Did your TG insurance follow to the new cruise you said you changed to?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes. I just have to submit the modification form to make it official. I did lose the pre-existing condition piece though.

Cathy