Playa del Mia Cozumel

rferrer00

Does anyone have recent experience booking Playa Mia for the day directly through their website (with transfers)? The resort has great reviews through Travel Advisor, but I just saw an article yesterday about how Travel Advisor deletes overly negative reviews/ reviews talking about dangerous experiences (tainted alcohol, violent crime) and so now I'm wondering how reliable the reviews are. I've searched CC and facebook sites, and seen some positive reviews of Playa Mia, so I'm not super worried, but figured I'd ask directly.

Just look at the reviews for the same hotel or resort on various booking sites (like Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Trivago, etc. etc. etc.). If you look at reviews enough, you can often tell when one is not legit for various reasons.

I generally disregard the reviews that are over the top in accolades (esp. when the other reviewers seem not to be as generous in their praises) and those that just rip a place apart. If you see reviews by people who, when you check their profile, seem to travel a great deal and are active reviewers and contributors (either questions OR answers) to a travel site, chances are you can trust their review.

BTW, I heard about the tripadvisor issue on the evening news tonight, and also read the article someone posted a link to on the Cozumel boards. I've used tripadvisor for years with much success and found some super properties that way and have posted a few reviews, have gleaned GOBS of info. about other places and things from the forums and general info. posted and found answers to many questions. Additionally, its very helpful to often be able to private message a reviewer with a particular question that wasn't addressed about the property or whatever without having to share your own email to do it. In the tripadvisor article it says the vast majority of hotels rec'v. ratings of 4 or more. Even so, I've seen PLENTY of 3 and 2.5 and 2.0 ratings. In fact, some booking sites repeatedly have higher ratings on hotels than tripadvisor. I don't doubt there are kickbacks of sorts based on the links from the site to other booking sites, but on the other hand, I have also been able to see that sometimes one site is offering a lower price than the other for the same accommodation and I find that helpful. It all comes back to the fact that I like to check every source I can find.

Good luck with wherever you choose to stay!