Barclays credit cards

ss70chev

I have a Barclays carnival credit card. My husband and I always cruised carnival for our children. Now our children grown and we prefer cruising HAL. Has anyone ever changed their cards over to another line? If so, what happens to your existing points? I currently have over 100,000 points and trying to decide on how to use them. I also have a Holland cruise booked for Thanksgiving this year.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a Barclay card from when I got my iPad which gives me points toward Apple products and iTunes cards. I called Barclay and asked about switching to a HAL card. Was told I would need to reapply to receive a new card as they don't allow switching from one card to another. Guessing this would also mean I'd probably need to cancel the card I have now, although that wasn't specifically mentioned.

Edited by Reagan0712
spelling

Since HAL also has a Barclay Visa card, it might be worth a phone call to them (not Carnival's card) to ask. The phone number on the back of my card for customer service is 866-922-7673. But if that fails, I see a lot of nice merchandise where I could use up 100K points pretty quickly! Just one digital camera is 103,000! :D

Thank you for your advice. I called the Holland number but still ended up talking with the Carnival card representative. They will not transfer my points but I can apply for a new card. [emoji53]

I can use the points toward my HAL cruise but the are not worth as much.

Thank you for your advice. I called the Holland number but still ended up talking with the Carnival card representative. They will not transfer my points but I can apply for a new card. [emoji53]

I can use the points toward my HAL cruise but the are not worth as much.

Can you exchange the points for cash?

BTW, I would suggest you get a cash back card. There are several out there that give up to 3% cash back on travel which includes hotels, rental cars, airplanes, cruise lines, restaurants, etc. One of the big advantages is the fact that you can use the cash anywhere, on any cruise line, etc. I prefer the Costco Citibank card - 3% on travel, 2% on Costco purchases, and 1% elsewhere. It also pays 4% on gas purchases. We usually cruise in March and we get our rebate check in February so that works well. You always need to carry some cash with you or you can just use the cash towards payments on the card.

It also provides up to $10,000 in Trip Protection for trips charged to the card at no extra cost:

"Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection

Travel plans can go awry for many reasons. If certain unforeseen events get in the way of your trip, you may be reimbursed for non–refundable trip expenses, like change fees, provided you paid for the trip with your Citi card."

Here's some information from Cruise Critic on credit cards:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1453

Here's a quote: "If you want to get the best return on investment from a credit card, cruise credit cards aren't the way to go. With most charges yielding just a 1 percent effective rebate on a limited catalog of awards, cruise credit cards aren't top-of-the-class in terms of value or rewards flexibility."

Can you exchange the points for cash?

BTW, I would suggest you get a cash back card. There are several out there that give up to 3% cash back on travel which includes hotels, rental cars, airplanes, cruise lines, restaurants, etc. One of the big advantages is the fact that you can use the cash anywhere, on any cruise line, etc. I prefer the Costco Citibank card - 3% on travel, 2% on Costco purchases, and 1% elsewhere. It also pays 4% on gas purchases. We usually cruise in March and we get our rebate check in February so that works well. You always need to carry some cash with you or you can just use the cash towards payments on the card.

It also provides up to $10,000 in Trip Protection for trips charged to the card at no extra cost:

"Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection

Travel plans can go awry for many reasons. If certain unforeseen events get in the way of your trip, you may be reimbursed for non–refundable trip expenses, like change fees, provided you paid for the trip with your Citi card."

Here's some information from Cruise Critic on credit cards:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1453

Here's a quote: "If you want to get the best return on investment from a credit card, cruise credit cards aren't the way to go. With most charges yielding just a 1 percent effective rebate on a limited catalog of awards, cruise credit cards aren't top-of-the-class in terms of value or rewards flexibility."

Thank you! I am definitely going to look into my options. I do agree I am not receiving the best rewards for my money spent.

I can not cash out but I can receive a credit on my card for the money spent on HAL just not at the same rate as I would from Carnival.

Thank you! I am definitely going to look into my options. I do agree I am not receiving the best rewards for my money spent.

I can not cash out but I can receive a credit on my card for the money spent on HAL just not at the same rate as I would from Carnival.

Sam's Club has a similar club but without the travel protection features.