Best time to book

My wife and I usually book cruises pretty far in advance but we are looking at going on the Enchantment in mid January 2018. I am wondering when the "best" time to book would be. Having to pay the full amount at booking (within 90 days out) doesn't matter to us.

This isn't a cruise we "have" to go on so we are willing to risk price changes with the cruise, airefare, hotel cost, etc but just didn't know if it's worth waiting until a certain point where the price typically drops. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Supposedly, best time to book is 6 months out with refundable (or can change dates) deposit. It is also supposed to be price guarantee, so if the cruise $ drops, you get that price. This is what RC told me.

In real time, the best thing to do is select a cruise and go to different sites to compare rates and offers. Rates should be about the same but the 'offers' (such as OBC) can differ.

IMHO, don't necessarily book during 'sales.' They seem like 'fake sales' to me. Wait until that 'sale' expires after midnight, etc. (there will be another one the next day) This is when the 'lowest' fare seems to turn up.

I just booked last week for Dec 3rd and during the sale the price was $250 higher. In the middle of the night, it was very low. By morning, during their 'newest sale' it was a cool $400 higher.

ALWAYS check AARP site. For some trips, they tend to have deep discounts. You don't have to be 50 to qualify for AARP. Just be on someone's account that is 50+. ;')

Book refundable deposit rate now and you get to pick your room. Rebook NRD rate before final payment. Wait to long and your choices dwindle.

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nothing else to add [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The best time to book is now. Then you can monitor until final payment for price drops.

We arent to worried about what cabin we get so with the NRD rate it is for an interior guarantee... This is just for a 3 night get away for my wife and I.

Is there a benefit to wait until after final payment (within 90 days of cruise) to see a price drop?

Is there a benefit to wait until after final payment (within 90 days of cruise) to see a price drop?

Yes, and for a short cruise the final payment is at 75 days, not 90. Many of the short cruises have sizable price drops inside final payment, 30-60 days out. For a Jan 2018 sailing, you are very likely inside final anyway - just wait for a good deal.

Yes, and for a short cruise the final payment is at 75 days, not 90. Many of the short cruises have sizable price drops inside final payment, 30-60 days out. For a Jan 2018 sailing, you are very likely inside final anyway - just wait for a good deal.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Biker

Missed the Jan 2018 note. I can't believe that 2018 is less than 60 days away!

Our cruise in December we booked past the 90 day mark (8 day cruise) it happened to be a weekend sale BOGO, Kids Sail Free.... balcony sale (cheaper than insides @ 599 per with free kids!) And a few days later there were no rooms for more than 2 people (everyone jumped on the KSF) and 3 weeks later it was sold out.

Take a look at websites that keep track of historical pricing for cruises (there's a 'plum' of a cruise site out there and a fish one as well)

That will give you a good idea if your getting a good price

-Sean

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Biker

Look at the inventory on RCI's UK site (or TA site which shows as much). That will determine the price direction. Don't jump at the first drop, especially if relatively small (10%). Some price drops seem to be a stair step affair, instead of just a big one at one time (30-50%). On many sailings the best savings are via GTY rates; you'll have to take a chance on location in exchange for such savings.

Missed the Jan 2018 note. I can't believe that 2018 is less than 60 days away!

Our cruise in December we booked past the 90 day mark (8 day cruise) it happened to be a weekend sale BOGO, Kids Sail Free.... balcony sale (cheaper than insides @ 599 per with free kids!) And a few days later there were no rooms for more than 2 people (everyone jumped on the KSF) and 3 weeks later it was sold out.

Take a look at websites that keep track of historical pricing for cruises (there's a 'plum' of a cruise site out there and a fish one as well)

That will give you a good idea if your getting a good price

-Sean

AWESOME DEAL! We love the KSF sale and jump on them any chance we get... This shorty cruise is just wife and me for a change! A whopping 3 nighter LOL

Apparently, mentioning cruiseplum.com is OK, but not the fish site. The latter does have more granular and longer data, though lately is has been off.

Personally I think it depends upon how important a specific trip is for you we live north of Jacksonville and have several options of ports. We typically book about 6 months or do out. But we’ve also booked less than 30 days out with a pack and go special. If you want a particular ship/trip then I’d book farther out to ensure you’re onboard and hope the price drops. If you just want to get away and not really care which ship or itinerary- and your dates are flexible. then wait for last minute deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums