Tipping guidelines

Hawaiiatheart

As a first time river cruiser, I would appreciate some advice on tipping. We have pre-paid gratuities, but we always give additional tips to cabin stewards, waiters, etc. when on an ocean cruise. Should we do the same on our river cruise?

Also,we will be using Emily for a couple of days of private tours in Budapest (thanks to the cruisecritic recommendations), and wondered about gratuities for her.

We did not hand out any extra tips when we sailed with Scenic or Uniworld. Others on board may have tipped extra but I wasn't aware of that happening. We did tip our private guide and her driver. I think we gave them 10-15% extra and they seemed quite surprised and very pleased. They were well worth the extra!

Paul

If you have a self employed guide, you have negotiated the full price in advance and no tip is needed unless they go above the features of the tour you initially booked. If you have pre-paid the cruise gratuities you are not required to tip more unless special services were performed. (We did tip our room steward on Scenic.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums