Need New York recommendations for Hotel

powersl

We will be coming into LaGuardia airport from Detroit. As of right now it will be a fairly early morning flight. That will give us most of the day (I hope) to play in New York. Or at least the afternoon. I think the double decker bus is a good idea. Its cheap for 48 hour ride around. We are also looking at the Photo tour for 2 hours so we can get our pictures taken at various stops in town. What about the subway. Easy or stay away from?

Have been looking at other folks cruise pictures on line most of the day planning our get away. Tom is at work earning lots of money to take with us on the trip -

The subway can be easy or tricky depending on where you're going. You can buy yourselves Metro cards for use on buses and buses. There are ones for an all day unlimited use or ones with a per ride charge ($2.00 per ride, but transfers are free).

If you were leaving your hotel and let's say going to the South Street Seaport, you'd probably want to take the subway because it's far. But for shorter distances, the bus might be easier - besides, it's a nice way to see parts of the city.

I've never heard of the photo tour, but why not just take your photos at the various spots when you visit them on the hop-on, hop-off bus?

The best part about NYC is walking it. Other than the hop on bus, I probably not sign up for any other tours. The exception would be a walking tour. You'd have to google a search, but there are some walking tours offered that even I'd be interested in going on and I was born and raised here! They're also usually inexpensive.

Jane

Ok - Going to book comfort inn and airplane ride to NY next week. Cruise is booked and then I think its xmas and then next step will be getting from airport to hotel right? Easy or hard? Remember - Fear of not being able to get out of the airport easily. I thought maybe one of those town cars and they could find me and get us to the hotel? What do you think?

Powersl,

I covered getting from the airport to your hotel in message #25. Have a look at that. If it's not clear, let me know.

I think the easiest thing is to walk out of baggage claim and get on the taxi line. Nothing could be easier.

No, you don't pre-buy a Metro card. You can buy it here at any subway station and some of the newstands sell them also.

Jane

I didn't re-read the entire thread... why the fear of not being able to get out of the airport?!? It's not hard, follow the signs to baggage claim and then get in the line for a taxi. You could have a livery service "find you" at the airport, but they'll only meet you at baggage claim so you'll have to find your way there anyway, and having the driver meet you inside the airport will be more expensive than taking a taxi from the taxi line.

You can buy metrocards once you arrive. I know many like the hop-on/hop-off tour which was previously suggested, but if you enjoy doing research on the web, you can create your own hop-on/hop-off tour and see the sites you researched at your own pace by using an unlimited metrocard ($7 for unlimited use from time of first use until 2am). Doing so is cheaper than the hop-on/hop-off tour and you also surround yourself with locals rather than tourists... but you don't get the narration that a tour would provide. Also, traffic in NYC can be awful, so creating your own tour also enables you the option of using the subway which is often the quickest way to get from pointA to pointB.

Archived