Need New York recommendations for Hotel

powersl

We have been looking for pre cruise hotel for two days before the 11/23/06 cruise. Any suggestions. We really do not want to have to sell our first born to stay in a room that all we will do in it is sleep. Also we have been looking at the Comfort Inn on 35th st, 46 st, and 36th street. Is one better than the other? They are telling us that all three cost the same. Thanks

I would suggest trying priceline.com. We prefer staying in the Midtown area. We always try to stay around 7th Avenue between 46th and 53rd and never been disappointed. Good safe area and you can walk most everywhere. You will NOT want to stay anywhere near the pier, it's sleezy and nothing to see or do.

I just realized that your cruise is almost a year away! I would think you're trying way too early especially if you use priceline as we often do.

Powersl,

YOu didn't tell us where the hotels are located. Being on 35th St, 36th Street or 46th Strret doesn't tell enough. You need to tell us the hotel location - which ave's it's located on if you want any comments on which one might be better.

JAne

Since that is Thanksgiving Day, forget priceline. You will not find a thing.

I highly suggest you book a cancellable backup (one of the Comfort Inn's) and then take your time about shopping hotels.

NYC had the highest occupancy ever this past holiday season and is the highest pricest city in the United States for hotels. In fact, few world cities have higher priced hotels.

:D thanks, comfort Inn Manhattan, 42 w 35th, confort midtown, 29 west 46th, or Comfort Inn Times square, 442 w 36th,

Thanks.

42 W. 35th St (5th/6th Ave's)aka Little Korea - A block from Macy's, so will be very crowded & busy. The block itself is filled with mostly asian export business's. So lots of honking trucks on the street & handtrucks on the sidewalks all day long and then fairly deserted at night other than the korean massage/call-girl parlors. No good restaurants within walking distance, unless you want korean food (some excellent ones on the block) Not a great choice in terms of location, but not horrible.

442 W. 36th St (9th/10th Ave) - "Times Square" my A$$!!! Times Square is over a half mile from here and whoever claims this address is anywhere's near TS should be fined for false advertising. This place is in "no man's land". The only reason to stay here would be if you were attending a convention at the Javitt's Center. This is an awful area of town and I wouldn't stay here if it were $50. a night.

29 W. 46th - (5th/6th Ave's) Better than the other two. 3+ blocks from St. Partick's Catherdral, Sak's 5th Ave, Rockefeller Ctr. (all are on 49th & 5th). Also crowded, but a classier crowd than near Macy's. A few, though not many, decent restaurants within walking distance. This area caters to business people meaning lots of quickie lunch joints and some hi-priced "expense account" places. At least not totally deserted at night. I'd feel more comfortable here walking around at night than your other choices.

If all three are about the same price, go for W. 46th St. IMO.

Hope this helps.

Jane

Am also looking for hotel in NYC- dates mar 22-26/06. Just read recommendation and lokked at hotel Belvedere, Lokks just right for us, so I booked it. Price seems reasonable, and I took the special with full breakfast included. It's completely refundable, should I change my mind, but I feel comfortable with the choice. thanks for advice

Powers, as a Manhattan native I would not recommend staying at any of the locations you've mentioned. None are good options. Spend more and stay in the Midtown area where you'll have a much better stay. Lots of excellent inexpensive restaurants on the West side and you can walk most everywhere. I wouldn't suggest staying below 46th.

I would bid on Priceline; start about $100 and bid 4 star east and west midtown. This will give you a nice place right where the action is. Easy taxi to the pier from here as well. Many people are getting a 4* midtown for about $110 on Priceline. Depends on the date. Sometimes the best deals are 30--60 days out, but I've gotten some great deals six months out.

Good Luck!

Kel

thanks, I have never tried priceline and am not sure how it works but I will check it out a bit tonight and maybe get back to you if I have questions.

THanks.

powers,

Go to this site and it will give you the details on bidding for a hotel. Click on New York, NY and it will list hotels offered and their locations. You won't know the specific hotel until your bid is excepted, however, you will know the general area and number of Stars.

http://p070.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding

Good Luck!

Kel

Powers, as a Manhattan native I would not recommend staying at any of the locations you've mentioned. None are good options. Spend more and stay in the Midtown area where you'll have a much better stay. Lots of excellent inexpensive restaurants on the West side and you can walk most everywhere. I wouldn't suggest staying below 46th.

I"m also a Manhattan native so why do you say these things?

The 46th Street location I'll agree is certainly not all that exciting, however, if the OP gets a great rate there, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's centrally located, even if kind of boring.

Also, what's wrong with the east side? There are some wonderful hotels in the Grand Central/Murray Hill area? That's a great location.

What's wrong with below 46th street? I think that getting a room at the Giraffe in the 20's on Park Ave South, or the Library on 40th and Madison or the Savoy on 23rd & 7th in the OP's price range would be a real coup.

I'm just wary that you're making a OP a bit nervous about our city.

Sure the W. 35th St. isn't great and waaay far W. 36th Street is terrible but I don't think telling the OP that anything below 46th Street is undesirable. That's just not a fair picture IMHO. Getting a room at a reasonable price in this city is tough enough without limiting options even further.

Jane, re read my post. I never said anything below 46th was undesireable. I think for a first timer staying one night in the city the OP would want a central location. I have nothing against the East side, it's very nice but certainly pricier than the West side. There are better options than the 3 addresses the OP mentioned, lots of Midtown West options between 6th and Broadway, north of Times Square and South of the park.

Jane, re read my post. I never said anything below 46th was undesireable. I think for a first timer staying one night in the city the OP would want a central location. I have nothing against the East side, it's very nice but certainly pricier than the West side. There are better options than the 3 addresses the OP mentioned, lots of Midtown West options between 6th and Broadway, north of Times Square and South of the park.

Ah, you're right. You told the OP to stay below 46th Street and I thought I read that you told him *not* to stay below 46th Street. Sorry about that.

However, I guess I still feel the need to question, Why 46th Street as a dividing point? I can't see anything wrong with staying above 46th Street either!

The OP has no clue about our city and I think you're setting up arbitrary streets to stay away from, such as the east side.

I agree with you that there are better locations than the three he came up with, however, if the one on 46th St. is the best for his budget, there's nothing wrong with the location.

Yes, it's true that east side hotels are generally pricier, but he'll be shopping by price, so he'll weed out places by the price anyway. It would be a shame for him to pass up a great deal at an east side hotel because he got advice to stay away from the east side.

Just curious, what neighborhood do you live in?

Powersl - My recommendation is to do what you did with the Comfort Inn. Give us locations of hotels you find in your price range and we can give you the same kind of feedback we did w/ those others. Don't worry about east side/west side or above/below 46th Street. NY has many hotels spread out in good and convenient areas of the city. Tell us the locations of what you come up and we can comment on them.

Jane

that would be good. We are looking at dolllars. We decided to spend a couple of days in New York before the cruise to see the sights and really did not expect to spend a lot of money on hotels. In Michigan most of our 4 star hotels in resort areas don't cost more than 150.00. 500.00 is just not something we are willing to do. The cost of some of those hotels made our eyes pop out!:eek: :D :cool:

I have been reading the reviews on the comfort Inn Midtown (46th). I did not read any negatives. For 150.00 a nite. It seems like a deal for the midtown area. On the reviews , folks said they walked most everywhere and seldom took cabs. Any negatives that you know about. We are not expecting 5 star hotel just clean, reasonable room that we will not be spending much time in for only two days.:) Can't wait.

I agree that $150. a night is an excellent price for a midtown hotel. Is this offer from a booking site w/ a huge penality for cancellation? If so, then just book it and be done with it.

If you can cancel with no $$ penalty or a small one, my advice would be to book it and then keep searching at your leisure.

You *might* find one closer to time that's a better hotel at just about the same price. But honestly, the location of the hotel is pretty good. Obviously, I can't comment on the hotel itself since I don't stay in NY hotels and don't know anyone who's stayed at that one.

If I'm in the neighborhood and walk by the hotel, I'll pop in and have a look at the lobby and let you know what I think.

Jane

THANKS, We will be booking through Sam's Club. We also have a 50.00 certificate that we can use for hotels and that will make it even cheaper.

Tom says book it too! He wants to know that we have a place to stay and its a done deal. Guess we will book over the holidays and then move on to next step. What to see in New York. So many tours. My biggest fear is that we will get off the plane and be lost forever at the airport. That's my real reason for wanting to be in New York a day or two before the cruise. I guess after we get to the airport we have to figure out how to get to the hotel. Maybe that should be the next step.

till soon

the worrier

Powersl,

I always take a taxi from the airport to home. However, there are buses from the airport. I don't know if they'll take you to your hotel or to a central location like Grand Central. If it's Grand Central, which is on 42nd and Park, it's actually only about a half mile to your hotel on 46th Street. However, if you have a lot of luggage, that half mile will feel like 10 miles, so you'd probably then take a taxi from Grand Central to your hotel.

I don't know how much the buses charge. The ones from Kennedy (JFK) are pricier than LaGuardia (LGA). You didn't mention which airport you'll arrive into.

As far as what to do in two days, I think that the best thing would be to get on the hop-on/hop-off bus the first day. I think you pick this bus up in front of the Empire State Building and then it goes all around the city giving you a feel for it and you can hop off at any spots that interest you and then hop-on another one again when you've finished your visit. You hotel desk person will be able to tell you exactly where to buy tickets.

On the second day, select the area's or places you'd like to revisit and then take it from there. If you're on 46th between 5th & 6th, you can easily walk to Rock Ctr, St Pat's Cathedral, Sak's, Grand Central Station, Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) and the Emprie State Building or going in the other direction, Radio City Music Hall, Central Park (59th Street) and Lincoln Center (65th St)

In Sept you should have some great walking weather and will be an ideal time to enjoy NY.

Jane

Archived